Instructor/Student Power in Public Safety Education

  • Matt Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2007
      Good morning! My name is Matthew Kelly and I'm pursuing my Master's in
      Communication here in Minnesota. I'm beginning my work on my thesis
      project regarding public safety education.

      I've recently been reviewing materials from French and Ravan (1959),
      McCroskey and Richmond (1983) and Richmond (1990) but am looking for
      additional material regarding classroom power and motivation as well as
      studies regarding perceptions of power for "uniformed" services such as
      the military, police, or fire service.

      My limited research so far has been helpful in helping me define a
      scope for the endeavor, which will hopefully include the development of
      a curriculum for fire safety education for preschool and elementary
      school students. I feel that research regarding classroom power and
      motivation, curriculum development, and early-childhood psychology will
      be the primary bases for my study, although as the project progresses,
      I will likely need to narrow the focus.

      Since I signed up to be included in the ACA, I've been very happy to
      see the growing participation and community feel. I hope to contribute
      to, as well as learn from, this group.

      If you have materials to suggest, I welcome your suggestions and thank
      you for your assistance.

      Best Regards,
      Matthew Kelly
      Minneapolis, Minnesota
    • Joseph Schmitz
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2007
        Hi Matt;

        One suggestion.  Power can be conceptualized in many ways and the communication [also philosophy, psych, and soc] literature abounds with theoretical frameworks that are germane.

        You might try Emerson, 1962 in the soc literature for his seminal work on power; he takes a relational perspective, one that in my view has largely replaced the French and Raven classic.  F and R conceptionalize power as something that some one has based on the quality or characteristics of the powerful--as percieved by those who might be influenced.  And power is transitive, almost something you carry around.

        Emerson views power as the mirror image of dependency.  [because it is a function of particular relationships,it is not transitive--If you have something that I want/need, especially if I have few [less costly--conceived in non economic terms] alternatives, then you have power regarding me.

        Joe Schmitz