Book Proposal (a real paper kind of book)

  • Tyrone Adams, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2007

      Call for Proposal

      We are planning an editted Book to be submitted to the State University of New

       York (SUNY) Press.  The book, tentatively entitled "The Handbook of

       Globalization and Digital Divide," examines how different aspects of

       the globalization process are affecting social, economic, political,

       technical, and educational factors and practices in various regions of

       the world, especially the developing countries.

      Topics and areas that we are particularly interested in covering in

       this book are as follows:

       Area 1: The Nature of Globalization & Digital Divide .

            Economic nature.

            Technological divide/infrastructure.

            Policies (e.g., trade agreement and tariffs).

        Cultural oral vs. written cultures and their implication on globalization

       Area 2: Challenges with Globalization & Digital Divide.

            Problems.

            Technology compatibility.

            Training, education, and Licensing.

        Power and authority for influencing policies

       Area 3: Socio-cultural Implications of globalization and the Digital Divide.

            Media biases - Policy/Agenda setting.

            Social change.

            Demographics and the shifting population.

        Politics - The role of states in globalization specifically effects of deregulation on LEDCs.

            Language and Identity.

            Law and Justice (Relative perception of Justice in different contexts)

       Area 4: Making Globalization Work & Bridging the Divide.

            Policies and decision making.

        Localized technological development (e.g., homegrown or regional innovations).

            Strategic alliances

       At present, we are finalizing the book proposal to submit to the

       publisher for review, and if you are interested in participating in

       this project, we would need the following two items by e-mail in word document from you:

       1. A 100-150 word abstract or proposal summarizing the chapter you

       would like to write for this collection

       2. A 75-100 word biography that includes your degrees earned,

       institutional affiliation, and previous publications

       We wish to get this book proposal to the publisher for review

       relatively early in the year in order to help the overall review and

       publication process go as quickly as possible.  For this reason, we

       ask interested individuals to submit these two

       items by Deadline: Monday, Jan 29 2007.

       Should you have any questions about this book project, please feel

       free to email me B.olaniran@....

      Best regards,

       Bola Olaniran

       Texas Tech University

    • Tejinder Lamba
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2007
        ABSTRACT
        Call Centers -The Realities of Globalization

        In today’s global business realitiy off-shored call centers and BPO industry have a  definite role to play and the outrage against them might be misplaced.They call it outsourcing. Not the old economy assembly line jobs, but jobs in the new economy -- anything that involves a computer or a telephone. And India epitomizes the new global economy .The  person  at the other end of the line is more likely to be in India than in Indiana. To many American employers, India is Nirvana. Though a developing nation, It has a stable Democracy an enormous English-speaking population, and a solid education system that each year churns out more than a million college graduates -- all happy to work for a fraction of the salary of their American counterparts.  T hey service the globe.- all parts of the world irrespective of what time it is here or there . American movies are part of an agent's training in how to sound all-American. The Indian call center industry is expected to grow and become the largest in Asia.
        The social, Economic,Cultural ,political and educational aspects  provide an interesting and excellent study of the varied effects  of  Globalisation.

        Tejinder S. Lamba
        Reader in English, University of Delhi.INDIA
        I have been teaching English and American literature for the last 39 years to the graduates & post graduates at a constituent college of the University of Delhi.For the past about 5 years I have been involved in introducing, teaching and evaluating courses in Effective Business communication. I have written articles and a Book on Business Communication.

        "Tyrone Adams, Ph.D." <theswampboy@...> wrote:

[...]

         free to email me B.olaniran@ttu. edu.

        Best regards,

         Bola Olaniran
         Texas Tech University

        Don't pick lemons.
        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.