970Re: Corporate Sponsorship

  • Lori Widmer
    Nov 2, 2006
      Myrene and Ann:

      I've been following this discussion with great interest. Myrene,
      you've hit on a key element of a successful sponsorship program.

      What I've witnessed at conference events is varying levels of
      sponsorship, but also large participation by vendors who exhibit. Not
      knowing how past conferences have operated, I would suggest
      considering allowing vendors to exhibit during a conference. This
      would definitely increase the amount of labor exponentially (unless
      one finds an exceptional coordinator/event planner among the ACA
      ranks), but it could also bring in a rather sizable amount of funds.

      Sponsorship opportunities could exist in a number of places: finding
      a sponsor for the conference program (and allowing an ad on the
      back); sponsored box lunches in which the sponsor foots the bill;
      sponsored daily newsletters; sponsored excursions in the area; etc.
      All of the opportunities come with the exchange of free publicity.

      What exhibit halls add to the mix could get rather interesting, as
      well.

      Just some thoughts to ponder and debate. :)

      Lori

      Lori Widmer
      Publisher
      Risk Factor
      Valley Forge, PA
      www.ldwpublishing.com

      --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, Myrene Magabo <magus_898@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Dr. Rosenthal:
      >
      > When I submitted my plans and intent to serve ACA, I had thought
      of airline sponsorships. Or, getting sponsorships from the likes of
      Expedia, Trip.com. (Or, crusise ships) for reduced fare.

      > If, for instance we can set up a conference at the University of
      the Philippines, the University hostel could possibly sponsor our
      lodging or any hotel that's tied up to the country's Department of
      Tourism. Sponsorship concepts like that. Some restaurants in the
      locality. Media organizations that will cover the affair and feature
      the sponsoring agencies. If we can actively improve and develop our
      materials, probably, we can work with Universities and Colleges in
      terms of Communication Conferences, Fora, Education and Training.
      And, we could possibly include promotion of Communication Research
      and Publication that will broaden and strengthen the field of
      Communication.

      > Corporations can benefit from our organization If we can provide
      continuing education and training to our members. Their employees can
      avail of training opportunities. We should then be able to design
      communication training programs for organizational personnel (i.e.,
      improvement of their communication skills both oral and written,
      communication strategies that improve organization productivity or
      improve operations and management). That, way, we can develop a
      symbiotic relationship with our sponsoring corporations.

      > I could probably start this "network like" or chain-like concept
      of sponsorship if, I am able to profoundly explain and present ACA's
      quality "communication materials" that could enhance for instance,
      the teaching of Communication or develop further the field or
      Communication Research in the Philippines. We can probably offer
      Communication Educators Conference... we can survey and find out
      their interests and priorities in terms of advancing communication
      education and communication research in the country.

      > It will not be an instant task to do but we could probably
      accomplish something like that.

      > Myrene
      >
      > Ann Rosenthal <dr.ann.rosenthal@...> wrote:
      > Colleagues:
      >
      > Each year the American Communication Association holds a
      conference and solicits financial support from external sources in
      order to make the meeting more affordable. For example, we get free
      books from publishers, which we then sell at silent auction to
      conference attendees. This gives the publisher visibility among
      potential textbook adopters and povides great deals for our members.
      It generates a very small amount of revenue.

      > One year from now we will meet in Taos, New Mexico, and Dr. Rita
      Kirk will be posting something soon about the specifics. However, my
      question today relates to corporate sponsorship in general.

      > What sponsorship opportunities can ACA provide to organizations
      that want to become involved?

      > This question is not a hypothetical one. I plan to solicit
      financial support for this organization. We currently have the
      corporate sponsorship of EWO, LLC, my own company, and

      > Web Hosting &
      > Development provided by:
      >

      > Besides assisting with the website development, EWO, LLC, covered
      the cost of my trip to Mexico City to represent ACA at the talks
      creating the InterAmericas Council. ACA could not have afforded to
      cover that expense.

      > Rest assured that I am committed to keeping this organization not
      only alive and growing, but doing so without individual membership
      fees. Our journal shall remain freely accessible as well. We can only
      do that by providing some value to receive external support.

      > We will be adding a mechanism on our website to accept
      donations and to explain just what these donations support. So, what
      do the donations support? Suggestions? What value does this provide
      to the donors?

      > Ann Rosenthal, Ph.D.
      > President, ACA

      > Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small
      Business.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic