      From: swalkerk <swalkerk@...>
      To: americancomm@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:45 PM
      Subject: [americancomm] Re: Feeback on Analogy Example

      RESPONDING TO THE Q&A:

      The question lends itself to be 'open' and broad. Is there a particular theory or discipline that the thought/answer should be generated in?

      The answer, if it is to be an answer, would have to be concluded, right? "You could reason", as an preemptive would cause me to be reluctant in including it in research.

      The -rubric- seems calculating and divisive, as well as casts an unfavorable appeal to the tone of the question. If I am to be made to agree, should the question not be a question but rather a provocation of: to what degree.

      Ms. Kaila S. Walker,
      BABOC, CPC, MSP Candidate

      Communication's Consultant
      Atlanta, GA
      Ph. 404-484-6380
      E. mailto:swalkerk%40yahoo.com

      --- In mailto:americancomm%40yahoogroups.com, Jon Ru <jru2797@...> wrote:

      > I'm not positive, but I think that example is more about cause -- phone bans caused child injury reduction in two places and could cause reduction elsewhere.  The particular state is irrelevant here, they're only mentioned because states have/make laws.  For me, the analogy case would need to be built around similarities between the three states.  Something like IA is analogous to MO and FL in terms of population density, cel phone usage patterns, injury rates, etc., so regulation that is effective in MO and FL is likely to be effective in IA.  That said, analogies are frequently weaker arguments than causal arguments.  A clear and established cause-effect chain is great evidence, whereas analogies can be drawn between any two things.  All things
      are similar to all other things across multiple variables, some will be relevant and some won't, but a cause-effect chain links specific phenomena across time.  FYI, NJ bans phones for all people
      > who are driving.  Happy Thursday!  Jon
      >

      > ________________________________

                  I’ve been assured by two members of this organization that I’d get feedback from you (more so than from posts on CRTnet).  So, I submit to you the following hypothetical situation to see how much agreement among us there is to the following.  Freely submit whatever discussion you’d like along with your answer.  You may submit either publically or to me directly if you prefer.
      >      Pretend you’re working for someone from Princeton and, in scoring written answers, you come across the following:
      > Q:  What would be a clear and complete example of reasoning from analogy?
      > A:  “You could reason that because bans on using cell phones while driving in school zones have reduced the number of children being injured in Missouri and Florida, those laws
      should be instituted in Iowa.�
      > Please rate the answer using the following rubric:
      > Excellent â€" Example shows clearly that two things are alike in known ways and reasons that the two things will be the same in an unknown way.
      > Good -- Example only suggests that two things are similar and therefore may be similar in unknown ways.  It should be more explicit to be clear and complete.
      > Inadequate â€" Example claims that since something produced a positive effect in two cases it should be institutuded in a third case.  It more clearly reflects reasoning from cause that analogy.
      >
      > w. clifton adams
      > clifton_adams@...
      > http://www.wca-refracted.com/

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic