457Re: [americancomm] to Myrene and list...

    May 1, 2006
      Okay. Thanks! I agree with you.

      Ty Adams <theswampboy@...> wrote:

      Myrene,

      I just got back in from New Orleans, and so, have just encountered your email.  Went to see Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions Band perform at Jazzfest, yesterday.  Was quite a treat.

      As to your question: Here, at UL Lafayette, we like to break the informative and persuasive presentations up into 2 different speeches (5-7 minutes each).  Main reason is: Once you make a move to advocacy, the speech (in its entirety) becomes a persuasive speech.  I guess one could do a combination speech, as you have outlined.  But, doing so [even when done in the business world] amounts to doing 2 speeches which are similarly themed (in my opinion).  Interesting concept of pairing the speeches together for a longer presentation, actually.  But, I would likely still be inclined to keep the genres distinct so that the students know the difference between merely conveying information and advocating for/against an issue.

      Ty Adams