342RE: [americancomm] For You Kay and Others Too

  • Earl Capps
    Feb 1, 2006

      Myrene:

      I believe a major problem today is that we attempt to be too informal and too accommodating in our society.  We don’t take things and people as seriously as we should.

      As a non-traditional undergrad, I was often the only one in the class who was “yes, sir/no ma’am” all the time.  Even if they were younger than me (and in my early 30s, some of them were), that did NOT change.  Even though I am a graduate student, vice-chair of my department’s alumni association, and lecturer to undergrad classes and may now be entitled to a follow a less formal level of conduct with faculty, I still by-and-large adhere to those some guidelines of conduct.

      For me, such things are not negotiable.

      If you want my honest opinion, I think you’re being too easy on your students.  I’ve never questioned the right of a professor to “lay down the law” in their classes in any way they see fit.  It’s THEIR class, not mine, they’re the ones who have studied in this field, and I volunteered to take their class.

      I’d suggest you lay down the rules, and let them know that you’ll hold them responsible for their performance in the course.  They need this course, so they’ll do what they have to, and by respecting you as the professor and knowledgeable expert in this class, they will benefit.

      -earlcapps