2487RE: [americancomm] Advice for Aspiring Academics?

  • Sarah Clements
    Dec 2, 2008

      You can get a decent job in academia without a PhD.  I teach at a Community College and I am so happy to go to work everyday.  As long as you truly enjoy education and want to make a difference it can be done without the PhD.  To get your foot in the door at a 2 year college or a State University you can adjunct.  Simply call or email the chair of the department you are qualified to teach.  Our college is always looking for adjuncts.

      From: americancomm@yahoogroups.com [mailto: americancomm@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Mark Fabiano
      Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:25 AM
      To: americancomm@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [americancomm] Advice for Aspiring Academics?

      My humble advice is to go back to corporate public relations. You won't get a decent job in academia unless you have a PhD and the way that  works is this:  You get a job (if lucky) at a school of equal or less value in the overall academic scheme of it. So get a PhD at Harvard the world's your oyster. Get a PhD from --- State Univeristy and get a job at a community college up to -- state university?  Publishing.. ..do it if you love it and are interested in what you are writing. the problem with online programs is that you dont get to practice teach in a lab setting of sorts....with peers, mentors and faculty. Thats where the connections for career are made as well. So I would recommend a real phd program at a real university.

      Mark Fabiano
      Phone:  614-356-3519
      email: infowriters@ yahoo.com