      From: Leigh Ann Whittle <leighannwhittle@...>
      Subject: [americancomm] Advice for Aspiring Academics?
      To: americancomm@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 9:53 PM

      Hello all,

      I am a relative newcomer to our group and would like to obtain some advice from you-all (Or "y'all", if you happen to be in the same region of the U.S. as I am!).  First, a little background on me before my advice request:

      Since receiving my bachelor's in corporate communications and journalism in 2001, I have been a communication practitioner, be it in public relations or contract writing (the latter of which I do now).  A layoff from PR in 2005 forced me to re-think what I'm after in my career, and I enrolled in an online grad school English course to see how I liked it.  And, boy, did I like it!  The learning, the being among others of a like mind, the immersion into communication study (and having people actually understand what I was talking about!) was invigorating.  I felt I had finally found my niche, and I am re-directing my career path on teaching and the academic community.

      Needless to say, I did finish that graduate degree.  I have no complaints about my method of obtaining that degree -- entirely online from a brick-and-mortar school you can actually visit should you ever find yourself in Greenville, NC -- but the inability to do GA work and be face to face with my professors and colleagues left me wanting.  I feel like I'm stumbling along behind my peers who completed their degrees on campus.

      Now here's my request for advice:  What would you recommend someone like me do?  Obviously, I have been applying for teaching positions, but as you all know, the job market isn't at its best right now.  What are some other avenues I can take to transition careers?  I am especially curious about publishing because my perception is -- and I could be wrong -- that you must already be part of an academic community to perform research and have your findings published.  I have published a review in Business Communication Quarterly, but I realize one article isn't enough.

      I realize there is no single tried and true way to get into academia, but I would like to hear what people inside the field have to offer.

      Thank you in advance and have a wonderful day,

      Leigh Ann Whittle

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic