2478Re: Advice for Aspiring Academics?

  • edyah83
    Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Leigh,

      You may want to get a copy of "A Guide to Publishing in Scholarly
      Communication Journals". The link can be purchased from:
      http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Publishing-Scholarly-Communication-Journals/dp/0805849521/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

      It is published by the International Communication Association and
      addresses some of your concerns with writing styles, the reviewing
      process, and also touches on how to revise and resubmit your paper if
      it gets rejected.

      Although its a relatively short book (68 pages), and costs about $17,
      it is worth the price if you are new to academic writing.

      Hope this helps.

      Kind regards,
      Edward Yah

      --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh Ann Whittle"
      <leighannwhittle@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I am a relative newcomer to our group and would like to obtain some
      advice from you-all (Or "y'all", if you happen to be in the same
      region of the U.S. as I am!). First, a little background on me before
      my advice request:

      > Since receiving my bachelor's in corporate communications and
      journalism in 2001, I have been a communication practitioner, be it in
      public relations or contract writing (the latter of which I do now).
      A layoff from PR in 2005 forced me to re-think what I'm after in my
      career, and I enrolled in an online grad school English course to see
      how I liked it. And, boy, did I like it! The learning, the being
      among others of a like mind, the immersion into communication study
      (and having people actually understand what I was talking about!) was
      invigorating. I felt I had finally found my niche, and I am
      re-directing my career path on teaching and the academic community.

      > Needless to say, I did finish that graduate degree. I have no
      complaints about my method of obtaining that degree -- entirely online
      from a brick-and-mortar school you can actually visit should you ever
      find yourself in Greenville, NC -- but the inability to do GA work and
      be face to face with my professors and colleagues left me wanting. I
      feel like I'm stumbling along behind my peers who completed their
      degrees on campus.

      > Now here's my request for advice: What would you recommend someone
      like me do? Obviously, I have been applying for teaching positions,
      but as you all know, the job market isn't at its best right now. What
      are some other avenues I can take to transition careers? I am
      especially curious about publishing because my perception is -- and I
      could be wrong -- that you must already be part of an academic
      community to perform research and have your findings published. I
      have published a review in Business Communication Quarterly, but I
      realize one article isn't enough.

      > I realize there is no single tried and true way to get into
      academia, but I would like to hear what people inside the field have
      to offer.

      > Thank you in advance and have a wonderful day,
      >
      > Leigh Ann Whittle

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic