1428Re:[americancomm] Hello!

  • Gates
    Jul 1, 2007
      Hello,
      I think your question is a relevant question as our media becomes more global. I would say that most educators will continue to tackle your questions. One method I use in my classrooms is to focus on having students explore their own stereotypes. How did they develop? Where did it stem from? Then, look at how this development of stereotypes effect the way they communicate.

      Media literacy is really a course that can be centered around perception. I like to build this aspect into my classes since media is subjective. Realistically, we want to think of it as objective and provides facts but the way it is interpretated by audience is perception. I would build on the stages of perception. You might want to explore social cognition and frame of reference as well. Finally, to keep it simple and not getting into too many mass communication theories, take a look at Equilibrium theory.

      Hope this helps.
      Tina

      boosdaddy1 <bcox@...> wrote:
      sunsnowing, Graduate student in CUC, Beijing, you asked: "My questions
      are :how to keep people independ to the media? how about the media
      literacy developed overseas?"

      I am not sure if I am answering the second question but I do have some
      information concerning media literacy. As a background, this past
      year I had to teach my Introduction to Mass Media class for the first
      time in several years. I ordered the Barron textbook since I had used
      it previously. Just as a reference, since I am sure you may not be
      aware of how Introduction TO Mass Media courses are traditionally
      taught, in the United States, most colleges teach the course in the
      Gen Ed curriculm as a survey of media course. The media literacy part
      is usually one or two sections in a couple of chapters which is really
      pathetic.

      Sometime media literacy is taught at the college level as a senior or
      graduate level course but more often than not, it is not taught. Many
      of our curriculums have Media and Society classes and we sometimes
      teach modules in that class. I think that we assume that it is being
      taught in high school or lower coursework and unfortunately that is
      not happening. What I have found is that students at my college at
      least were not prepared to be able to read the media. They are very
      influenced by the media and have no idea how much it influences their
      lives.

      There has been a push in both Instructional Techology (which is
      usually in Education Departments) and in Library Science in regard to
      teaching information literacy where media literacy, specifically
      visual literacy is part of that coursework. I was told by my
      Instructional Technologist that there is a professor at Appalachian
      State University in Boone, NC who had done extensive work in media
      literacy from an Instructional Techology perspective.

      Back to this Introduction course: while doing research on the
      Internet, I came across a textbook from the UK. From what I
      understand, the book was being used to prepare high school graduates
      for their A-Level testing to enter college. AS Media Studies: The
      Essential Introduction: The Essential Information by Philip Rayner,
      Peter Wall, and Stephen Kruger and I orderd the book. I was blown
      away. The first part of the book is textual analysis which as you all
      know is a major component of media literacy and visual literacy. If
      you are looking for a method of teaching media literacy, I highly
      recommend this book and others from the A-Level and the AS-Level.
      There are also numerous study guides and support material on the
      Internet that would help you develope teaching modules and course
      assignments and active learning exercises. I also found the past
      copies of the A-Level testing online which was VERY HELPFUL for me.

      I was so impressed by the book that I adopted it as my Introduction to
      Mass Media textbook. This book has information that was so far
      advanced from what we traditionally teach college freshmen, I could
      not pass up the chance to use the book. What I had to do was apply
      American examples for the British examples but that was not very hard
      to do. This book and the information in the book is a good way to
      start helping them to see how dependant they have become on the media
      and now to break that dependance, if they desire to.