Essential Walt Whitman

  • Ron Criss
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2008
      "Essential Walt Whitman" on CD has finally been published and is
      available. I got a copy from Borders. I haven't opened my copy yet, but
      it should be good, read by Ed Begley Sr. I don't believe there are any
      other audio CDs of Whitman's poetry being read other than the sung
      versions by Thomas Hampson on his CD "To the Soul", which is also worth
      having. Here's the info on "Essential Walt Whitman":

      Audio CD
      Publisher: Caedmon; Unabridged edition (June 3, 2008)
      Language: English
      ISBN-10: 0061566411
      ISBN-13: 978-0061566417

      Ron
    • Dan Osterman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2008
        It is good - I think recorded in mid/late seventies originally on vinyl. I am a new member here! -Dan
        =====

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2008
          Dan,

          That makes sense. I noted that Ed Begley Sr died in 1970. But its
          about time that some of Walt's stuff became available on CD. Should
          be good for the road! I've been looking for something like thisfor a
          while. As much as I like the Hampson CD its hard to understand all
          the words.

          Have you purchased the book "Worshipping Walt" yet? I've been tempted
          but always had another book I wanted more.

          BTW, I took you off moderation. I usually moderate the first few
          posts to make sure new members are no spammers.

          Ron

          --- In americanbard@yahoogroups.com, Dan Osterman
          <dan_illustration@...> wrote:

          > It is good - I think recorded in mid/late seventies originally on
          vinyl. I am a new member here! -Dan
          > =====
          >

          > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:25:15 PM
          > Subject: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
          >

          > "Essential Walt Whitman" on CD has finally been published and is
          > available. I got a copy from Borders. I haven't opened my copy yet,
          but
          > it should be good, read by Ed Begley Sr. I don't believe there are
          any
          > other audio CDs of Whitman's poetry being read other than the sung
          > versions by Thomas Hampson on his CD "To the Soul", which is also
          worth
          > having. Here's the info on "Essential Walt Whitman":
          >
          > Audio CD
          > Publisher: Caedmon; Unabridged edition (June 3, 2008)
          > Language: English
          > ISBN-10: 0061566411
          > ISBN-13: 978-0061566417
          >
          > Ron

        • Dan Osterman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2008
            Then it was recorded originally in the 60's - I know I came across it when I was dj'ing at a "community" radio station (non-commercial) in 1985 or so. No spammer here ... you are the founder of the list? I've been out of the loop on books about Walt for about 10 years, I quit collecting with Loving's bio from the nineties. I gave a bunch of stuff pertaining to Oscar Lion, a NY'er who was Whitman's first big "whitmania" collector. -Dan
            ===

            Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:42:14 PM
            Subject: Re: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman

            <dan_illustration@ ...> wrote:

            > It is good - I think recorded in mid/late seventies originally on
            vinyl. I am a new member here! -Dan
            > =====
            >

            > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:25:15 PM
            > Subject: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
            >

            > "Essential Walt Whitman" on CD has finally been published and is
            > available. I got a copy from Borders. I haven't opened my copy yet,
            but
            > it should be good, read by Ed Begley Sr. I don't believe there are
            any
            > other audio CDs of Whitman's poetry being read other than the sung
            > versions by Thomas Hampson on his CD "To the Soul", which is also
            worth
            > having. Here's the info on "Essential Walt Whitman":
            >
            > Audio CD
            > Publisher: Caedmon; Unabridged edition (June 3, 2008)
            > Language: English
            > ISBN-10: 0061566411
            > ISBN-13: 978-0061566417
            >
            > Ron

          • Ron Criss
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
              Dan,

              Yeah, I'm the founder and moderator. I'm probably not the most expert
              devotee, but I didn't see a good Whitman Yahoo group so I decided to
              found one. These groups are an excellent format for discussion.
              Hopefully we can get a steady conversation going and coax out the
              other members!

              <dan_illustration@...> wrote:

              > Then it was recorded originally in the 60's - I know I came across
              it when I was dj'ing at a "community" radio station (non-commercial)
              in 1985 or so. No spammer here ... you are the founder of the list?
              I've been out of the loop on books about Walt for about 10 years, I
              quit collecting with Loving's bio from the nineties. I gave a bunch
              of stuff pertaining to Oscar Lion, a NY'er who was Whitman's first
              big "whitmania" collector. -Dan
              > ===
              >

              > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:42:14 PM
              > Subject: Re: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
              >

              > Dan,
              >
              > That makes sense. I noted that Ed Begley Sr died in 1970. But its
              > about time that some of Walt's stuff became available on CD. Should
              > be good for the road! I've been looking for something like thisfor
              > while. As much as I like the Hampson CD its hard to understand all
              > the words.
              >
              > Have you purchased the book "Worshipping Walt" yet? I've been
              tempted
              > but always had another book I wanted more.
              >
              > BTW, I took you off moderation. I usually moderate the first few
              > posts to make sure new members are no spammers.
              >
              > Ron
              >
              > --- In americanbard@ yahoogroups. com, Dan Osterman
              > <dan_illustration@ ...> wrote:
              > >
              > > It is good - I think recorded in mid/late seventies originally on
              > vinyl. I am a new member here! -Dan
              > > =====
              > >

              > > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:25:15 PM
              > > Subject: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
              > >

              > > "Essential Walt Whitman" on CD has finally been published and is
              > > available. I got a copy from Borders. I haven't opened my copy
              yet,
              > but
              > > it should be good, read by Ed Begley Sr. I don't believe there
              are
              > any
              > > other audio CDs of Whitman's poetry being read other than the
              sung
              > > versions by Thomas Hampson on his CD "To the Soul", which is also
              > worth
              > > having. Here's the info on "Essential Walt Whitman":
              > >
              > > Audio CD
              > > Publisher: Caedmon; Unabridged edition (June 3, 2008)
              > > Language: English
              > > ISBN-10: 0061566411
              > > ISBN-13: 978-0061566417
              > >
              > > Ron

            • Ron Criss
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
                Dan,

                BTW, can you tell us a bit about Oscar Lion? What sort of books do
                you have on or by him?

                <dan_illustration@...> wrote:

                > Then it was recorded originally in the 60's - I know I came across
                it when I was dj'ing at a "community" radio station (non-commercial)
                in 1985 or so. No spammer here ... you are the founder of the list?
                I've been out of the loop on books about Walt for about 10 years, I
                quit collecting with Loving's bio from the nineties. I gave a bunch
                of stuff pertaining to Oscar Lion, a NY'er who was Whitman's first
                big "whitmania" collector. -Dan
                > ===
                >

                > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:42:14 PM
                > Subject: Re: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
                >

                > Dan,
                >
                > That makes sense. I noted that Ed Begley Sr died in 1970. But its
                > about time that some of Walt's stuff became available on CD. Should
                > be good for the road! I've been looking for something like thisfor
                > while. As much as I like the Hampson CD its hard to understand all
                > the words.
                >
                > Have you purchased the book "Worshipping Walt" yet? I've been
                tempted
                > but always had another book I wanted more.
                >
                > BTW, I took you off moderation. I usually moderate the first few
                > posts to make sure new members are no spammers.
                >
                > Ron
                >
                > --- In americanbard@ yahoogroups. com, Dan Osterman
                > <dan_illustration@ ...> wrote:
                > >
                > > It is good - I think recorded in mid/late seventies originally on
                > vinyl. I am a new member here! -Dan
                > > =====
                > >

                > > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:25:15 PM
                > > Subject: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
                > >

                > > "Essential Walt Whitman" on CD has finally been published and is
                > > available. I got a copy from Borders. I haven't opened my copy
                yet,
                > but
                > > it should be good, read by Ed Begley Sr. I don't believe there
                are
                > any
                > > other audio CDs of Whitman's poetry being read other than the
                sung
                > > versions by Thomas Hampson on his CD "To the Soul", which is also
                > worth
                > > having. Here's the info on "Essential Walt Whitman":
                > >
                > > Audio CD
                > > Publisher: Caedmon; Unabridged edition (June 3, 2008)
                > > Language: English
                > > ISBN-10: 0061566411
                > > ISBN-13: 978-0061566417
                > >
                > > Ron

              • Dan Osterman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
                  Loving found a bunch of stuff by himself too. The Ny Public Library Dept. of Private Collections has the biggest archive of Lion's collection that I know of. His collection is best known by the cardboard butterfly that still exists, that W. was photographed with on his index finger. It appears that the Traubles got a lot of stuff when he died. The big thing I like about what Jerome Loving found was the Margaret (?) Trauble photograph of her and Lion together. I read some of their correspondence and it was fairly clear that they had developed a Relationship after Horace died (when he died I don't remember- the teens) and that there is NO correspondence surviving that indicates anything other than friendship. You may draw your own conclusions. I know that Oscar left his wife at home when he took Margaret overseas on vacations on Cruise Liners to Europe several times in the 20's. He had made his pile in the garment industry, though garment would be stretching it I guess. He made ribbon. Ribbon! He did take a hit in the depression but stayed in the business and I think he died in the 50's as I remember. Without Oscar Lion getting this stuff together from different sources, we'd all be the poorer. He was 2nd generation Jewish, and in the style of the day in NY interested in everything, especially I suppose someone who called for love and democracy.
                  -Dan
                  =====

                  Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:13:25 AM
                  Subject: Re: [American Bard] Oscar Lion

                  <dan_illustration@ ...> wrote:

                  > Then it was recorded originally in the 60's - I know I came across
                  it when I was dj'ing at a "community" radio station (non-commercial)
                  in 1985 or so. No spammer here ... you are the founder of the list?
                  I've been out of the loop on books about Walt for about 10 years, I
                  quit collecting with Loving's bio from the nineties. I gave a bunch
                  of stuff pertaining to Oscar Lion, a NY'er who was Whitman's first
                  big "whitmania" collector. -Dan
                  > ===
                  >

                  > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:42:14 PM
                  > Subject: Re: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
                  >

                  > Dan,
                  >
                  > That makes sense. I noted that Ed Begley Sr died in 1970. But its
                  > about time that some of Walt's stuff became available on CD. Should
                  > be good for the road! I've been looking for something like thisfor
                  > while. As much as I like the Hampson CD its hard to understand all
                  > the words.
                  >
                  > Have you purchased the book "Worshipping Walt" yet? I've been
                  tempted
                  > but always had another book I wanted more.
                  >
                  > BTW, I took you off moderation. I usually moderate the first few
                  > posts to make sure new members are no spammers.
                  >
                  > Ron
                  >
                  > --- In americanbard@ yahoogroups. com, Dan Osterman
                  > <dan_illustration@ ...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > It is good - I think recorded in mid/late seventies originally on
                  > vinyl. I am a new member here! -Dan
                  > > =====
                  > >

                  > > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:25:15 PM
                  > > Subject: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
                  > >

                  > > "Essential Walt Whitman" on CD has finally been published and is
                  > > available. I got a copy from Borders. I haven't opened my copy
                  yet,
                  > but
                  > > it should be good, read by Ed Begley Sr. I don't believe there
                  are
                  > any
                  > > other audio CDs of Whitman's poetry being read other than the
                  sung
                  > > versions by Thomas Hampson on his CD "To the Soul", which is also
                  > worth
                  > > having. Here's the info on "Essential Walt Whitman":
                  > >
                  > > Audio CD
                  > > Publisher: Caedmon; Unabridged edition (June 3, 2008)
                  > > Language: English
                  > > ISBN-10: 0061566411
                  > > ISBN-13: 978-0061566417
                  > >
                  > > Ron

                • Ron Criss
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
                    Interesting. There's a photo of the Butterfly in our Files:

                    And I suppose you noticed that our group photo is the one of Walt and
                    said butterfly. Do you think there is any signifigance to the
                    religious wording on the butterfly, or do you think it was a spur of
                    the moment photo?

                    BTW, feel free to upload that photo to our Files or Photos if you
                    have it on your computer! I'd love to see it.

                    <dan_illustration@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > =====
                    > > >

                    > > > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:25:15 PM
                    > > > Subject: [American Bard] Essential Walt Whitman
                    > > >

                    > > > "Essential Walt Whitman" on CD has finally been published and
                    is
                    > > > available. I got a copy from Borders. I haven't opened my copy
                    > yet,
                    > > but
                    > > > it should be good, read by Ed Begley Sr. I don't believe there
                    > are
                    > > any
                    > > > other audio CDs of Whitman's poetry being read other than the
                    > sung
                    > > > versions by Thomas Hampson on his CD "To the Soul", which is
                    also
                    > > worth
                    > > > having. Here's the info on "Essential Walt Whitman":
                    > > >
                    > > > Audio CD
                    > > > Publisher: Caedmon; Unabridged edition (June 3, 2008)

                  • Dan Osterman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
                      the photo is in Jerome Loving's bio from 1999 called "Walt Whitman" pubbed by Univers. of California.
                      -Dan

                      Interesting. There's a photo of the Butterfly in our Files:

                      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/americanba rd/files/