89A Christmas Greeting

  • roncriss
    Dec 3, 2009
      A Christmas Greeting

      By Walt Whitman

      1819-1892

      Welcome, Brazilian brother--thy ample place is ready;
      A loving hand--a smile from the north--a sunny instant hall!
      (Let the future care for itself, where it reveals its troubles,
      impedimentas,
      Ours, ours the present throe, the democratic aim, the acceptance and
      the faith;)
      To thee to-day our reaching arm, our turning neck--to thee from us
      the expectant eye,
      Thou cluster free! thou brilliant lustrous one! thou, learning well,
      The true lesson of a nation's light in the sky,
      (More shining than the Cross, more than the Crown,)
      The height to be superb humanity.