80Re: [American Bard] Whitman's journals / search

  • Dan Osterman
    Jun 16, 2008
      Two images of Walt Whitman by me now posted in photos file. -Dan
      ===

      Dan,

      Do you have some titles for those tv movies? The name Rpi Torn pulls
      up 15 pages of movies at amazon.com, but the only one that looks like
      the right time period is "Blue and Gray".

      Ron

      --- In americanbard@ yahoogroups. com, Dan Osterman
      <dan_illustration@ ...> wrote:

      > Rip Torn did two tv movies based on W's life. Very well presented
      and probably available on E-Bay. I'm just saying that there isn't
      that much good info on his newspaper work even though he was in in
      for 15 + years. There are no diaries about it. His civil war nursing
      exp is full of good drama, but he kept much of it private. There is
      alot of good info, but much extrapolation must be done for it to be
      effective. Sorry if I d came off like a carmudgeon. -Dan

      > Dan Osterman
      > 249 A Street #52
      > Boston, MA 02210
      > 617-348-9206
      > danosterman. com

      New
      > > York City. Epic!
      > >
      > > Ron
      > >
      > > --- In americanbard@ yahoogroups. com, Dan Osterman
      > > <dan_illustration@ ...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > You are looking for the
      > > >
      > > > Whitman
      > > > Stafford Farmhouse
      > > > 315
      > > > Maple Avenue, Laurel Springs, NJ
      > > > The Stafford family in 1872 or so invited him out once and he
      > kept
      > > going out there for quite a while until he couldn't anymore. At
      one
      > > point he developed a "crush" the son and they still talk about it
      > in
      > > the neighborhood. The house has been restored and I think tours
      are
      > > given. -Dan
      > > >

      > > > I remember as a teenager reading Whitman's journals and a
      > > > discription of a place he called the "Summers farm". He wrote
      > that
      > > > to get out of the city for needed recooperation he would
      > > > occationally visit (friends?) the farm and enjoyed some time
      with
      > > > nature which restored his spirits, etc.
      > > >
      > > > Is anyone familiar with this writing in the journals, and is
      > there
      > > > any hope of finding the location of the Summers farm ? As a
      > > teenager
      > > > I fantasized that it was somewhere near where I grew up in
      > > > Burlington County near the Rancocas River possibly Morestown
      area
      > > > about eight miles from Camden.
      > > >
      > > > The discription he gave in his journals was so much like the
      area
      > > > and I hoped that if it was, then possibly I knew the place.
      > > >
      > > > Perhaps I'm still fantasizing, but for years the curiosity
      > lingers.
      > > >
      > > > Logos

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic