### 450-Caliber Railgun Video Clip ###

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 2:04 AM
      Dear Group:

      This WinMedia9 video-clip shows a 450-caliber railgun that I've been testing
      for Info Unlimited. This is your moment of zen for the 4th of July! It's
      online via the VERY GRACIOUS WILLIAM ALEK / DR. WHODINI at the following
      http://www.intalek.com/AV/Mass-Driver-Large.wmv
      or via the usual suspects at my site:
      http://www.americanantigravity.com/video/Mass-Driver-Large.wmv

      This is a 2nd generation device, capable of putting a 4.5 inch (1/4 pound)
      projectile through 1-inch thick wood with projectile speeds exceeding
      300-feet per second. It packs a whopping 3000+ joules of energy into an
      ultrashort pulse -- accelerating the projectile from 0 to 1,050 mph in
      milliseconds.

      I will be adding a page for this online at
      http://www.americanantigravity.com, but for the time being the video stands
      alone as a record of testing. The footage shown includes firing through
      drywall and particle-board to ensure that the kinetic energy is absorbed by
      the target and not reflected as a ricochet.

      In any event, I'm using 2-inch oak as a blast-shield to prevent debris, and
      1.5-foot thick padding with steel blast-shutters to catch and slow the
      projectile after firing.

      In this clip, voltage has been regulated to ensure a minimum
      test-velocity -- this is to reduce warping on the projectile (for
      re-usability), and bleed off some of the excess kinetic-energy that would
      otherwise be impacting the target, padding, and blast-shutters.

      I should point out that this isn't a true railgun design, because it uses an
      inductive-pulse to create acceleration rather than a constant-amperage
      rail-system. However, due to difficulties in eliminating rail-erosion in
      naval designs, the use of a Lenz-Law accelerator is preferred rather than
      the traditional Lorentz-Force method.

      BTW -- Info Unlimited sells these, at http://www.amazing1.com/voltage.htm