Newsletter for July 1, 2009

  • American News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      American
      News Commentary
      Vol. 13, No. 1      July 1, 2009       © 2009
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS TAKEN
      6 YEARS TO BE MADE . . .
      This issue of the ANC Newsletter carries the
      designation: "Vol. 13, No. 1." That means it is
      the first issue of the 7th year of publication as
      a weekly newsletter and commentary. We are
      very grateful for the many email messages we
      received last week -- and for those we expect
      to receive on publication of this issue. As usual,
      we have no financial resources to promote this
      publication, but rely on you - our readers - to
      encourage your friends to subscribe. Also, as
      usual, there is no subscription fee, and we have
      never solicited any financial contributions.  We
      remain solidly Christian, Conservative and
      Evangelical in our positions on current events.
      IF YOU HAD NOT PLANNED TO DO SO --
      please, right now, forward this issue to your
      friends, urging them to subscribe. Thank you!
      DOMESTICALLY, AND ON A WORLD
      BASIS, AMERICA,  UNDER OBAMA,
      SEEMS DESTINED FOR FAILURE
      AND POTENTIAL DISASTER

      Here is a "mini-editorial" from the Internet this
      week: "When will the American people wake
      up and realize the office of the POTUS is not
      a cultural iconic position and should not be
      treated like a freaking celebrity?  This is a
      serious job meant for someone who takes it
      seriously." (Infidelesto)

      It is not enough that our apprentice president
      has denied (before a Muslim audience) that
      this is a Christian nation, and has ignored the
      statistical facts (82% Christian, 11% non-
      religious, leaving 7% for all other religions,
      Jewish, Islamic, etc.) and declared that we are
      one of the largest Islamic nations on earth. Or
      when making one of his very frequent TV
      speeches at Georgetown University (a Catholic
      institution) demanding that a crucifix carving
      over a doorway be covered during his speech.
      (Perhaps an overlooked reminder: there are
      more Catholics than Islamics in America.)

      Nor enough that he bowed before a Muslim
      king, and apologized to the world of nations
      for America's "arrogance" in supporting other
      countries in time of war.

      Nor enough that he stands by his campaign
      threat to encourage the use of abortions and
      to repeal the federal law which establishes the
      time-honored, God-given concept of marriage
      being between a man and a woman.

      Nor is it enough that he now threatens to enact
      a nationalized health plan -- an action well and
      concisely clarified by Doug Patton in these
      few words: "American innovation fuels
      progress in medicine across the globe.
      Nowhere on the planet has collectivist health
      care worked without rationing and medical
      mediocrity. We cannot allow this left-wing
      coalition of media and government to destroy
      the greatest health care system in the world.
      If we do, we may never get it back."

      And it is not enough that his "tax and spend"
      stimulus theory has already created far and
      away the largest long term debt in this nation's
      history, with no end yet in sight, but already
      imposing a financial burden upon future
      generations they may never be able to repay.

      And if those few examples of the agenda
      being followed by the Obama administration
      are not enough to merit the words "failure" or
      "disaster," there are the instances of behavior
      which bring into focus the need for "someone
      who takes the job seriously."

      There  are, for example, the very costly "date
      nights" here in America, and even overseas
      where the president and Mrs. Obama turned
      down an invitation to dinner from the French
      President of France, and instead went on
      another costly "date night" (under intense
      secret service care) in a Paris bistro. Or during
      his appearance as a guest comic on a late night
      TV show when he made an insensitive and
      belittling remark about the Special Olympics
      while doing a comic routine about his own
      poor bowling scores.

      Or his complete silence and no expressions
      of concern about the murder of an American
      soldier on duty at a military recruiting station --
      but his haste on the next day to order federal
      level involvement after the killing of a late-term
      abortion provider.

      Internationally, his gaffes are multiplying
      as he insults the British Queen and British
      Prime Minister by totally inappropriate gifts,
      and also returns a gift of the British embassy
      (a bust of Winston Churchill) as something he
      didn't want around his White House. And his
      cautiously mild comments on the savage
      treatment of protestors in Iran, on the grounds
      that he doesn't want to "meddle," and intends
      to negotiate with the Iranian government -- but
      Iran's Islamic rulers responded by demanding
      punishment "without mercy" (even executions)
      for the protestors, and the Iranian president
      demands "repentance" from Obama for having
      instigated the riots of protest.

      As American Christians, what do we expect
      of our president? In 1620, while still on board
      the Mayflower, William Bradford, speaking for
      the pilgrims described their voyage as being
      "for the glory of God, and advancement of the
      Christian faith."  Throughout the founding
      years of this nation, the expression of that faith
      was never abandoned. Beginning with George
      Washington's inauguration in 1789, and for the
      220 years thereafter, every president of the
      United States has been a Christian.  Even
      knowing as little as we do about Barack Obama,
      Obama, we expected a Christian president. But
      should have been warned. The inaugural oath
      was somehow mixed up, and the next day in
      the Map Room of the White House, the oath
      was readministered -- but this time no Bible
      was used. Soon he would ask that his Muslim
      name, Hussein, which he had forbidden to be
      used during the campaign, be prominently
      featured. Before a Muslim audience he denied
      that America was a Christian nation ... bragged
      (inaccurately) that we were one of the largest
      Muslim nations in the world. He then wet on
      to apologize for America's arrogance in our
      participating in wars where hundreds of
      thousands of our military died to help protect
      smaller nations from their oppressors. Instead
      of showing "arrogance," or even pride to be
      an American, he bowed humbly before the
      Saudi king (an Islamic). In office as president
      he has renewed his promise to increase access
      to abortion procedures, and to repeal a federal
      law which establishes marriage as in accord
      with the traditional, God-given standard as
      between a man and a woman.

      But those aren't the behaviors which we had
      expected from the president of the United
      States. No president in history has ever so
      rejected the Christian heritage of America. No
      president in history has ever brought such
      shame on this nation in the eyes of the world.
      These are things which concern American
      Christians at this point in our nation's history.

      And our responsibility as American Christians?
      To pray for God to give our president wisdom
      and courage to do what is right, and not to take
      us further down the road toward destruction of
      this nation which was founded on, and which
      has always been known as, a Christian nation.

      This week just one more "Mini-editorial" --
      "What Difference Can One True Patriot
      Make? Ask Thomas Paine that question…or
      Thomas Jefferson or John Adams. Ask Ronald
      Reagan… Before they stepped forward and
      made a difference, they were all just average
      Americans that nobody ever heard of. We
      know their names only because of the
      contributions they made to freedom and
      liberty! As American patriots desperately
      search for a way to end the current
      Obamanation of our Constitutional Republic,
      and all the freedom and liberty it provides ...
      keep two things in mind… One man often
      makes the difference ... You are by no means
      alone! Freedom was purchased by only a few."
      (J.B. Williams)

      An important note on a current event: It is
      becoming quite apparent that there may have
      been more to the much publicized handshake
      between President Obama and President Hugo
      Chavez a few weeks ago. Now the tiny Central
      America nation of Honduras has sought  to
      oppose the illegal plot of President Zelaya to
      hold onto power by rewriting the constitution
      to extend his term of office. As a result, the
      Courts and the Congress ordered his removal
      from power, and returned that power to the
      Honduras Congress. As IBD editorialized,
      "During his campaign, President Obama
      made a big deal of criticizing leaders who
      are elected democratically but don't govern
      democratically. He's had a chance to show
      that it mattered in Honduras. He didn't. That's
      the sorry story as Honduras' now ex-president,
      Mel Zelaya, last Thursday defied a Supreme
      Court ruling and tried to hold a "survey" to
      rewrite the constitution for his permanent re-
      election."  Now Chavez, Castro and other left-
      leaning leaders in Latin America have organized
      support for Zelaya -- and President Obama has
      decided to follow them, has declared the
      governmental action as "not legal" and is now
      threatening US sanctions on the tiny drug-
      plagued, dirt-poor country of 7 million, even
      threatening to halt its $200 million in U.S. aid,
      immigration accords and a free-trade treaty if
      it doesn't put Zelaya back into office. This
      doesn't seem to be what America has always
      stood for -- the rule of law and the will of the
      people. It will be interesting to see how this
      matter plays out so close to our shores. One
      unsettling development is the support of the
      United Nations for Zelaya, which should be a
      warning to right thinking people.

      A distinguished patriot's quote for the day:
      "The ultimate determinant in the struggle now
      going on for the world will not be bombs and
      rockets but a test of wills and ideas-a trial of
      spiritual resolve: the values we hold, the
      beliefs we cherish and the ideals to which we
      are dedicated." -- Ronald Reagan, Address to
      the British Parliament, 1982

      Some Random Afterthoughts . . .

      Readers still seem to like them, so here are
      just a few "one liners" from this week's reading:

      "Liberals hate America, so they assume
      everyone else does, too." (Ann Coulter)
      "Reading what Obama is doing to this nation
      makes reading the obits relaxing." (Gene L.
      Jeffries)
      "I think there are Christians who struggle
      with the sin of homosexuality -- but 'proud
      homosexual Christians?' That's an oxymoron
      to me in the same way as I would say 'proud
      adulterous Christians.'" (Peter Labarbera)
      "The more one sees President Obama in
      action the more you realize that the leader of
      the free world is not a big fan of democracy."
      (from the Blog: "Yid with Lid")

      After weeks of high level pressure, the
      House of Representatives passed President
      Obama's "Cap and Trade" environment bill
      by just 7 votes. One news account described
      the action in these words: "House Narrowly
      Passes Bill Designed to Influence Earth’s
      Climate by Restricting U.S. Industry and
      Imposing Costs on American Families."
      And under the headline: "Al Gore Invests
      Millions to Make Billions in Cap-and-
      Trade Software," this story was interesting:
      "Al Gore’s venture capital firm has invested
      $6 million in a software company that stands
      to make billions of dollars from cap-and-trade
      regulation — further fueling controversy that
      Gore lied about his profiteering from cap-and-
      trade to Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) and
      the House Energy and Environment Sub-
      committee during testimony in April."  And
      you were wondering why Al was working so
      hard in support of this bill!

      We have never done this before! We all
      receive videos forwarded to us by friends,
      and some of them are informative, and some
      -- very frankly -- are a waste of our time.  But
      here is one on the familiar "You Tube" that is
      extremely well done, and presents a much
      needed message in  the language and style of
      the 1700s when this nation was being formed.
      Click on this link to view it:

      Last week's White House infomercial that
      we announced, earned this review from a TV
      rating viewpoint: "President Obama's town
      hall meeting on health care delivered a sickly
      rating Wednesday evening."  With just 4.7
      million prime time viewers, the Obama show
      on ABC had the fewest viewers in the time
      slot. And it wasn't in competition with other
      top rated network shows. An IBD Editorial
      described it in these words: "ABC's prime-
      time  special starring President Obama was
      shameless journalistic favoritism. But as a
      promotional event, it backfired; the broadcast
      revealed no public demand for his vision of
      health reform."

      Perhaps part of the show's failure may be due
      to the fact that the American people simply do
      not want the sort of health insurance program
      the president is proposing. It may also be due
      to the possibility that the president may have
      overstayed his welcome on the nation's TV
      screens. An analysis by the Business and Media
      Institute found that some 60% of the 75
      minutes of airtime was used up just by the
      president talking. On a show that was
      advertised as being a dialogue on the future
      of US health care, a total of only 12% of the
      program -- less than 10 minutes -- was made
      up of questions and comments from the
      audience. Or perhaps the president simply
      needs a reincarnation of Ed McMahon to
      introduce him with "Here's Barack!"

      One is reminded of the old story about a newly
      flavored and heavily advertised dog food
      which wasn't selling well. In a conference at
      dog food headquarters one of the salesmen
      reported to management: "The dogs just don't
      like it."

      A Founding Father on the right to vote:
      "Let each citizen remember at the moment
      he is offering his vote that he is not making
      a present or a compliment to please an
      individual — or at least that he ought not so
      to do; but that he is executing one of the most
      solemn trusts in human society for which he
      is accountable to God and his country."
      -- Samuel Adams, 1781