Newsletter for Apr. 1, 2009

  • american_news_2008@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      American
      News Commentary
      Vol. 12, No. 13       April 1, 2009           © 2009
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      AMONG THE RESPONSES to last week's issue
      was this comment from a reader in Wisconsin: "We
      have elected a leader who could lead us down the
      path of self-destruction as a Christian-believing
      nation." Statements like that encourage us to believe
      that we are not alone in our concern for the Christian
      heritage of our nation. Share your thoughts with us at:
      - - - - - - - - - -
      WE CAN OFTEN LEARN ABOUT CURRENT
      EVENTS BY READING THE HEADLINES
      IN OUR DAILY NEWSPAPERS

      For example, here are just two headlines picked up
      from Internet news sources this week: "Is America
       past the point of no return? And this very concise
      one, describing our present federal administration:
      "Feckless, helpless, clueless."

      But more definitive was this headline on the front
      page of the "Parade" supplement in last Sunday's
      newspapers: "America imprisons 756 inmates
      per 100,000 residents, a rate nearly five times
      the world's average. About one in every 31 adults
      in this country is in jail or on supervised release.
      Either we are the most evil people on earth or
      we are doing something very wrong."

      We probably -- OK, we surely don't deserve to
      be called "the most evil people on earth,"  but the
      other option is most certainly true: "we are doing
      something very wrong."

      To begin with, the prison population of this country is
      not our No. 1 problem -- but it is a serious problem,
      and it is indicative of an even more serious underlying
      problem: that we have departed from ... have ignored
      ... have rejected the Christian principles which made
      up the foundations on which this nation was built, and
      in the name of "progress" have substituted a new set
      of values for the moral values which have made this
      the great nation it has always been.

      It doesn't require much research to ascertain the
      importance that the nation's founding fathers ascribed
      to Scriptural principles. For example, in 1778 James
      Madison said, “We have staked the whole future
      of American civilization, not upon the power of
      government, far from it. We have staked the
      future of all our political institutions upon our
      capacity to sustain ourselves according to the Ten
      Commandments of God.”

      And John Adams, in 1798, said of our nation, "We
      have no government armed with power capable of
      contending with human passions unbridled by
      morality and religion. Our Constitution was made
      only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly
      inadequate to the government of any other."

      But we have abandoned our reliance on the Ten
      Commandments -- we have made legal the killing of
      50 million babies . . . we are taking steps to revoke
      God's plan for marriage and the home and are moving
      toward the legality of homosexual ("same sex") marriage
      . . . we are contemplating the legalizing of certain
      drugs -- in the face of our Secretary of State's charge
      that our drug use is at fault for the murder spree taking
      place just south of us -- over 8,000 murders (including
      beheadings) in one year on our borders with Mexico.

      And those are only a few indications of our "doing
      something very wrong."

      What to do about this situation? We cannot rely on
      the present administration or the Congress to solve our
      problems. The president warned us during his campaign
      what he would do if elected -- and he is doing all that.
      The Congress -- well,  Nancy Salvato, Senior Editor
      of New Media Journal, said it well: "The definition of
      a citizen is one who is ruled and can rule in turn.
      We must have the capacity for both under the law.
      Sadly, in today's day and age, those elected to our
      legislature do not have to understand the law to
      represent their electors. Consequently, this Congress
      has proven to be the most constitutionally illiterate
      group of people ever elected to office."

      No, the response must come from Jesus Christ's own
      Church, the Evangelical believers who accept His
      challenge that we are salt and light in the world, and
      to fulfill His Great Commission to evangelize the world.

      It is probably generally agreed that in a national
      political sense, the economy is our No. 1 problem.
      Or at least it is one of the No  1 problems. There
      appears to be a jockeying for the absolute top rank.
      But this problem isn't new -- and perhaps some of
      the past world leaders on both sides of the Atlantic
      understood more about this problem than today's
      leaders, again, on both sides of the Atlantic. They
      are meeting this week in London. Hopefully some
      of the ideas from these leaders of 200 years ago
      might surface and be given some consideration.

      "When a government is dependent upon bankers
      for money, they and not the leaders of the
      government control the situation, since the hand
      that gives is above the hand that takes. Money
      has no motherland; financiers are without
      patriotism and without decency; their sole object
      is gain." -- Napoleon Bonaparte, French Emperor

      "I, however, place economy among the first and
      most important republican virtues, and public
      debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared."
      -- Thomas Jefferson, US Founding Father and the
      third U.S. President

      It doesn't seem right to pass over and ignore the
      "Global Warming" hoax, now appearing under its
      new "politically correct" name: "Climate Change."
      This news story from the New Media Journal needs
      no comment. It makes the point perfectly clear: "A
      United Nations document on 'climate change'
      that will be distributed to a major environmental
      conclave this week envisions a huge reordering
      of the world economy, likely involving trillions of
      dollars in wealth transfer, millions of job losses
      and gains, new taxes, industrial relocations, new
      tariffs and subsidies,  and complicated payments
      for greenhouse gas abatement schemes and carbon
      taxes — all under the supervision of the world body
      ...The Obama administration has said it supports
      the treaty process." Like we said -- no comment
      is necessary.

      A Founding Father on religion and law: "Far
      from being rivals or enemies, religion and law
      are twin sisters, friends, and mutual assistants.
      Indeed, these two sciences run into each other.
      The divine law, as discovered by reason and the
      moral sense, forms an essential part of both. "
      -- James Wilson, 1791, Signer of the Declaration
      of Independence and the Constitution

      Some Random Afterthoughts . . .

      Because today is April 1, we felt almost compelled
      to refresh your memory with the old story about the
      atheists who were protesting to a local church pastor
      that it wasn't fair for religionists to have so many
      annual holidays, and atheists to have none. They
      argued that Christians have Christmas and Easter,
      and the Jews have Passover and Yom Kippur. The
      pastor referred them to Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1,
      "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God,"
      and congratulated them for having a holiday which
      is celebrated on a world-wide basis -- April 1, or
      "All fools Day."

      Two more in our series of notable "One liners":
      "Let's face it: conservatism is in crisis. The liberal
      media is gleefully pronouncing it dead, and
      President Obama and his Far-Left henchmen are
      doing all they can to make sure it is marginalized
      and silenced." -- Human Events
      "The Left’s radical environmentalist agenda is a
      bizarre ideology based on anti-capitalism and
      anti-humanity sentiments." -- Gary Bauer

      Last week we pointed out the new term for
      attacks by terrorists, as adopted by our new
      Homeland Security Director, Janet Napolitano:
      "man caused disasters." Now the Obama
      administration has added to the politically correct
      vocabulary a new term to replace "global war on
      terror" -- it is "Overseas Contingency Operation."
      And so our young men and women are risking their
      lives, not to combat global terrorism, but to deal
      with "Overseas Contingencies."

      Reflecting on the UN's "Climate Change" plan:
      In Great Britain, they are taking these new proposals
      more seriously. Consider this excerpt from London's
      Sunday Times: “Jonathon Porritt, one of Prime
      Minister Gordon Brown’s leading green advisers,
      is to warn that Britain must drastically reduce its
      population if it is to build a sustainable society.
      Porritt said: ‘Population growth, plus economic
      growth, is putting the world under terrible pressure.
      Each person in Britain has far more impact on the
      environment than those in developing countries, so
      cutting our population is one way to reduce that
      impact.’” The question arises: how many of Britain's
      61 million people will have to be "cut" in order to meet
      the new climate control standards? And how do you
      do that? Through China's one-child-per-family policy,
      or through President Obama's increased abortion-on-
      demand policy? Either way is frightening.

      A Founding Father on government regulation:
      "Wise politicians will be cautious about fettering
      the government with restrictions that cannot be
      observed, because they know that every break of
      the fundamental laws, though dictated by necessity,
      impairs that sacred reverence which ought to be
      maintained in the breast of rulers towards the
      constitution of a country."  -- Alexander Hamilton,
      writing in the Federalist, 1787