Newsletter for Feb. 4, 2009

  • American News
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2009
      American
      News Commentary
       *Originally Published as EPOCH Commentary*
      Vol. 12, No. 5      February 4, 2009       © 2009
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      AS WE PROMISED LAST WEEK, in response
      to requests, an enlarged and updated version of our
      three installment series on "Evangelical" will shortly
      be released in a form to be down-loaded and printed,
      of course, at no charge. As always, please send your
      - - - - - - - - - -
      ARE WE STILL HOLDING TO THE HISTORIC
      PATTERN OF AMERICA'S LEADERSHIP AS
      A CHRISTIAN NATION -- OR ARE  WE
      FACING A DANGEROUS "CHANGE?"

      Take just a moment to recall these historical facts.
      Think back to an event which took place almost 400
      years ago -- Nov. 11, 1620 -- when in Provincetown
      Harbor, Cape Cod, the Pilgrims on board the sailing
      ship, Mayflower, drafted and signed the first governing
      document of the Plymouth Colony, the Mayflower
      Compact. Their purpose was clearly stated: "In the
      name of God, Amen. Having undertaken, for the
      Glory of God and advancement of the Christian
      Faith ...Country, a Voyage to plant the First Colony
      in the Northern Parts of Virginia ..."

      Just a few years later, in 1629, the Salem Covenant
      confirmed: "We covenant with our Lord, and one
      with another; and we do bind our selves in the
      presence of God, to walk together in all his ways,
      according as he is pleased to reveal himself unto
      us in his blessed word of truth; and do explicitly,
      in the name and fear of God, profess and protest
      to walk as followeth, through the power and grace
      of our Lord, Jesus Christ. We avouch the Lord to
      be our God, and our selves to be his people, in the
       truth and simplicity of our spirits."

      And just one more early document from the original
      pilgrims; the Boston Covenant of 1630 read: "In the
      Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, and in Obedience
      to his holy Will and Divine Ordinance, We whose
      Names are here under written, being by his most
      wise and good providence brought together into
      this part of America in the Bay of Massachusetts
          do hereby solemnly and religiously (as in his
      most holy Presence) promise and bind ourselves,
      to walk in all our ways according to the Rule of
      the Gospel ..."

      And after 150 years, this view continued: From
      George Washington, our first president: "While we
      are zealously performing the duties of good
      citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be
       inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the
       distinguished character of Patriot, it should be
      our highest glory to add the more distinguished
      character of Christian."  (1789)

      And from John Adams, our second president:  "Let
      divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots,
      unite their endeavors to renovate the age by
      impressing the minds of men with the importance
      of educating little boys and girls, inculcating in
      the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity,
      and leading them in the study and practice of the
      exalted virtues of the Christian system.” (1790)

      And one more from Patrick Henry: “It cannot be
      emphasized too strongly or too often that this
      great Nation was founded not by religionists,
      but by Christians; not on religious, but on the
      Gospel of Jesus Christ. (1776)

      Very obviously this nation was founded on
      Christian beliefs and principles, and was intended
      by the founders to be a Christian nation. This fact
      of history should come as no surprise to our readers
      because in more than 100 issues during the past 5
      years we have cited the views of our nation's founding
      fathers concerning the Christian faith.

      Now with that fact of history in mind -  a fact
      which was observed and renewed for over three
      centuries - where does our nation stand today with
      respect to the Christian faith and the intent of the
      founding fathers?

      What is happening today must be a matter of serious
      concern for us - and all - Christians.

      We are seeing a new administration moving into its
      position of elected power in America, and we can
      examine the published agendas, and recall the many
      promises made by the new president Barack Obama
      during his campaign for  the presidency. On almost
      every issue, the new administration is taking a position
      which is contrary to historic Bible-based Christian
      principles and practice.

      Remember candidate Obama's pledge at a Planned
      Parenthood event in 2007 concerning the Freedom
      of Choice Act which will essentially remove all
      controls from the  abortion process, which  has killed
      at least 50 million babies since the infamous Roe v
      Wade decision: "The first thing I'd do as president
      is sign the Freedom of Choice Act, On this
      fundamental issue, I will not yield." And involved
      in his strong support of abortion, is his support for
      increased embryonic stem cell research.

      In a similar pledge he promised to repeal the Defense
      of Marriage Act (signed into law by Bill Clinton) and
      thus force all states to recognize same-sex marriages
      entered into in perhaps one or two states. So on these
      two Bible based principles, it is clear that the Obama
      administration is taking an anti-Christian position.

      President Obama's strong support for the LGBT
      (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans-sexual) community
      is evident in other elements of his administration's
      Those include enactment of new "Hate Crimes" laws
      to eliminate criticism of homosexual life styles; oppose
      any constitutional amendment to ban homosexual
      marriages; expand adoption rights for gay couples
      and individuals; support new civil union federal
      privileges for LGBT couples -- but there is more.
      Check the agenda email site for yourself.

      It is clearly evident that our present and future
      course is to "change" (the Obama operative word!)
      from America's heritage as a Christian nation and
      become a nation with a multi-religion philosophy - a
      far cry from the founding principles which for more
      than 200 years have made this the greatest nation on
      earth.

      These facts do not in any way negate the urgency and
      importance for America's Christians to pray that God
      will give wisdom to President Obama as he makes
      decisions which will affect our nation for years to come.
      .
      The American Revolution which brought this nation
      into being was based largely on religious grounds. It
      appears to be time for the Christians in America to
      embark upon a new revolution, to reclaim this nation
      for God and for the Christian faith. As an initial step --
      you have every right to ask your Senators and
      Congressional Representatives to hold to Christian
      principles in their decisions.You can reach them all by
      calling: the national switchboard at 1-(202) 224-3121.
      Always remember they represent you -- and they are
      your employees.

      Having said all that, it does make one wonder why
      the president would offer such strong support for the
      LGBT cause, since homosexuals represent something
      in the 1.6 - 4% range of the US population . . . and
      Christians represent 80% of that population, and one
      branch of the Christian church, the Roman Catholics,
      represent 25% of the US population, and the Catholic
      church has taken the strongest possible stand against
      same-sex-marriage and abortion. And at the state
      level, 30 states have already adopted constitutional
      amendments banning same-sex marriage by solid
      majorities. One does wonder just whom President
      Obama represents.

      Important thoughts from two great menas a
      reminder that historically this was a Christian nation:
      "Not until I went into the churches of America
      and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness
      did I understand the secret of her genius and
      power. America is great because America is good,
      and if America ever ceases to be good, America
      will cease to be great." -- Alexis de Tocqueville,
      French historian, 1835

      "Knowing that intercessory prayer is our mightiest
      weapon and the supreme call for all Christians
      today, I pleadingly urge our people everywhere to
      pray... I humbly urge that we take time to pray -
      to really pray. Let us pray for our nation. Let us
      pray for moral forces everywhere, for our national
      leaders. Let prayer be our passion. Let prayer be
      our practice." -- General Robert E. Lee, 1855

      Some Random Afterthoughts . . .

      Don't you just love some "one liners?" "We must
      not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt."
      -- Former US President Thomas Jefferson, 1816.
      This bill is about spending money that we don’t
      have for things we don’t need." -- US Senator
      Tom Coburn (R, OK), 2009
      "Does it make sense to include in a plan to prepare
      America for the 21st century borrowing billions
      from Beijing to mail out in $500 checks to folks
      who don't pay income taxes, so they can run down
      to Wal-Mart and buy more goods made in China?
      -- Commentator Patrick Buchanan, 2009

      Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich, who has been
      impeached by the Illinois legislature, and has been
      removed from office, remains under criticism and
      attack for his un-governorish actions as the Governor
      of Illinois. It would seem to be time to give serious
      consideration to the question: "OK, he's guilty, but is
      he any worse than most other government officials?"
      How about conducting your own personal poll, and
      ask yourself if a politician at the state or federal level
      can really be honest? And if you can think of one (or
      perhaps more than one) who is, jot down any such
      name(s), and if you can really think of any, use those
      overwhelming statistics as a measuring rod for his
      comparative status in the American political scene.
      The sad thing is that in his plea for exoneration he
      said that this is what politicians do to get elected.
      The real task we face is to elect honest politicians.

      For just a few moments it was almost like a planned
      and rehearsed comedy routine -- Al Gore testifying
      before the Senate on behalf of his theory of "Global
      Warming" on a day when our nation's capitol was
      almost shut down due to ice, snow and extremely
      cold weather, but as the dwindling number of his
      "scientists" so readily do, he shifted to a new term:
      "Climate Change." But that is one of the popular
      "slippery slopes" -- the change in climate, world-
      wide, for the past 100 years or so has not shown
      any change in the direction of Mr. Gore's dire threats
      of massive flooding throughout the world. Plus, the
      worst ice storms on record were raging in other parts
      of the country even as he spoke.

      For what it's worth: The Pew Research Center
      last week released the results of a survey as to
      America's most popular cities. The first 5, in order,
      were Denver, San Diego, Seattle, with Orlando
      Tampa and San Francisco tied for 4th place, and
      Phoenix as No. 5. By contrast, the 5 least desirable
      cities are Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas
      City and Minneapolis.In case you are planning to
      relocate, this might be a helpful guide.

      And from a religious standpoint, from a current
      Gallup poll, the five most religious states, in order,
      are: Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee
      and with Louisiana and Arkansas tied for fifth place.
      And the five least religious states are Washington,
      Alaska, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and at the
      bottom, Vermont.

      A thought on being a real American: "Some
      Americans need hyphens in their names,
      because only part of them has come over;
      but when the whole man has come over,
      heart and thought and all, the hyphen drops
      of its own weight out of his name."
      -- President Woodrow Wilson, 1914