ANC, Newsletter, May 4, 2011

  • American News
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2011
      The American News Commentary
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Vol. 16, No. 18                             May 4, 2011                                ©2011
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
       "Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just, and this be our motto --
                        In God is our trust."  -- Francis Scott Key, 1814
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      THIS WEEK'S EDITORIAL COMMENT: Tomorrow, May 5, is the
      National Day of Prayer. This year's theme is: "A Mighty Fortress is Our
      God." This writer well remembers how this observance came to be. It was
      in January and February, 1952, while holding a crusade in Washington, D.C,
      that Billy Graham proposed that a National Day of Prayer be established.
      Several Christian members of the House and Senate introduced such a
      resolution, which was passed, and signed into law by President Truman on
      April 17, 1952, including the requirement that the president should issue an
      annual proclamation of the event. In 1988, under President Reagan, the law
      was amended to make the first Thursday in May the date for the National
      Day of Prayer. So tomorrow, let us set aside some time -- individually or in
      groups -- to pray for America, for our leaders, for the Christian Church and
      for our fellow Christians all over the world, many of whom are subject to
      persecution for their faith. And let this day of prayer be part of our continuing
      count-down to Election Day, Nov. 6, 2012 -- there are now 552 days to
      pray for God's guidance as we vote to reclaim America as the nation our
      Founding Fathers intended it to be.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      JUST LAST WEEK THE COVERAGE OF CURRENT EVENTS
      ALMOST DEFLECTED ATTENTION FROM THE TRUE
      MEANING OF EASTER; THIS WEEK THE NEWS OF
      THE WORLD IS EQUALLY DISTRACTING

       At Easter we were still absorbing the effects of the devastating earthquakes
      and tsunami which forever changed life in Japan . . . we were hearing of the
      large number of American military personnel killed in April in Afghanistan,
      and were confronted with our legally undeclared "war" in Libya, and our
      ignoring of the killing of civilians by the Syrian president, whom our leaders
      consider a "reformer." The very onslaught on our senses by the news of the
      day served to detract from the meaning of Easter. And, of course, the
      president's failure to make any proclamation of Easter further seemed to
      diminish the significance of this important Christian observance.

      But those distraction were but a shadow of things to come!  The days
      following Easter have been even more filled with happenings to focus our
      attention on matters outside the Christian season of Eastertide. In the church
      calendar, Eastertide is that period of rejoicing beginning with Resurrection
      Sunday, continuing through the 40 days in which Jesus walked this Earth
      prior to His ascension to be with the Father, and continuing to the 50th day,
      or Pentecost, that so important observance when the Holy Spirit was given,
      and the Christian Church was born.

      How to cope with the very prominent demands on our attention such as the
      tornadoes which have just ravaged many of the American southern states,
      leaving an aftermath of destruction and death in so many communities . . .
      and the world-wide obssession with the wedding of two prominent young
      people in England who had been living in adultery, but with Prince William
      a potential heir to the British throne, their marriage became necessary. An
      estimated two billion viewers all over the world watched as the highest
      placed ministers of the Church of England blessed and solemnized the
      nuptials, with the prince's father, who maintaind an long-time adulterous
      affair, seated in a prominent position with his former mistress by his side.

      And then, nicely timed so as not to have its impact lessened by coverage of
      the royal wedding and with his lagging approval ratings needing a boost for
      his re-election campaign, came the announcement by President Obama that
      a long planned operation to murder Osama bin Laden had succeeded -- and
      the nation exploded into rejoicing, and any thought of "Christ is risen" was
      replaced with "Osama is dead." It isn't that his part in planning 9/11 didn't
      deserve punishment, and his being brought to justice, but it does seem a bit
      out of place for a nation established on Christian principles to rejoice in his
      murder. We seem to forget so quickly the words of Jesus in Matthew 5
      where He instructed us how to deal with our enemies. How to relate His
      teaching to dealing with terrorists in today's world is difficult for us to judge.
      Saddam Hussein was also a terrorist who killed more people than bin Laden.
      He was captured, brought to justice, tried and found guilty in an Iraqi court,
      and executed by his own people. Osama bin Laden was also brought to
      justice, but at the point of a gun, killed by American military operating on
      foreign soil. But it is done, and there is one less evil leader in the world,
      and that is good. However, the question remains before us: Is boisterous
      celebrating in the streets the appropriate response? It's worth a thought.

      Among all the viewpoints being headlined in the Main Line Media,
      here are three from opinion makers who separate fact from fiction in their
      summaries. First from Jim Talent, distinguished fellow at the Heritage
      Foundation, and former U.S. Senator: "Four men and one woman lay
      dead—among them, Osama bin Laden. The operation, which was
      planned for months, came after years of searching and intelligence
      gathering...but the terrorist threat still remains, along with continued
      operations in Afghanistan and Iraq...But despite those conflicts — and
      a new one in Libya—President Barack Obama has called for $400
      billion in cuts to our already overstretched military, undermining its
      constitutional role of protecting America...The Navy has fewer ships
      than at any time since 1916. The Air Force inventory is smaller and
      older than at any time since the service came into being in 1947. The
      Army has missed several generations of modernization, and many of
      its soldiers are on their fourth or fifth tour of duty in Iraq or
      Afghanistan ...many vital programs, such as missile defense, have been
      cut; and in the past two years, no fewer than 50 modernization
      programs have been ended."

      And the second from Skip MacLure, commenting in Conservative
      Outpost: "This is great news, for a number of very good reasons. The
      Blighted One will probably try and take credit for the manhunt that
      was initiated by Obama’s much-maligned predecessor, George Bush.
      The truth is...that this is the culmination of a manhunt that began on
      September 11, 2001... It is very much like Obama to take credit for
      other people’s work… and ideas."

      And finally, from Erick Erickson, in "Red State" morning briefing:
      "I fear the death of bin Laden will give Obama the impetus to do what
      he has long wanted but lacked the guts to do: wind down the war
      against al Qaeda, close Guantanamo, and release most of the prisoners
      we hold at Guantanamo under the guise of 'releasing prisoners of war.'
      If the killing of bin Laden results in the administration declaring our
      job is done then bin Laden will have done more for al Qaeda in death
      than he ever accomplished in life."

      But regardless of those distractions, we are still in Eastertide, and
      our rejoicing in the truth of the risen Christ as our assurance of eternal life, is
      still our blessed hope. As we quoted Pope John Paul II just two issues ago:
      "We are the Easter people, and hallelujah is our song."

      There are times when Mr. Obama seems delusionary. In his televised
      speech announcing the killing of bin Laden, he again stated that the United
      States is not at war with Muslims. Osama bin Laden was a Muslim, and Mr.
      Obama's military buried him at sea in accordance with Islamic protocols.
      The men who carried out the attacks on 9/11 were Muslims. The people
      we are at war with in Afghanistan are Muslims -- as were those whom we
      were fighting during our war in Iraq. In our officially undeclared "war" in
      Libya, President Qadaffi and his government are Muslims. The potential
      ultimate enemy in the Middle East, Iran, is Muslim. And all over the world,
      the most vicious attacks and persecutions of Christians have been by the
      so-called "peace loving" Muslims.The old rhetorical dichotomy still applies:
      It may be true that all Muslims are not terrorists -- but it is also true that all
      terrorists have been Muslims.

      An important anniversary: In connection with the observance this week of
      the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, Jason Georges speaks of it as
      "a guidebook of nations, one that has already seen the United States of
      America through every single crisis of its existence. In every war, every
      civil disturbance, every fiscal emergency, the King James Bible has been
      'the rock upon which our republic rests.'"  The King James Bible was the
      first English Bible to be printed in the United States, and in the bill which
      recognizes the 400th anniversary of the publication of the King James
      Version, introduced on April 12th in the U.S. House of Representatives, the
      King James Bible is referred to as the most widely printed and distributed
      work in history.

      As always, given the bias of the Main Line Media (MLM), there is
      much to be learned from "What Others Are Saying" . . .

      Ann Coulter: "Even Islamic terrorists don’t hate America like liberals
      do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd
      have indoor plumbing by now."

      Bill O'Reilly (TV news commentator): "Obama, himself, is perhaps
      the finest example of a man being allowed to reach his full potential, is
      he not? In what other country could a mixed-race child from a broken
      home grow up to lead his nation? Does that not speak well of America?

      Michael Reagan (talk show host; President Reagan's eldest son):
      "With the price of a gallon of gasoline shooting up into the stratosphere,
      the president's incompetence is now becoming plain for all to see. He
      simply can't or won't deal with it, so he goes looking for straw men, upon
      whom he can pin the blame. With Barack Obama, it's always someone
      else's fault."

      Paul Greenberg (Editorial page editor, ArkansasOnLine): "It's no
      secret that the messianic hopes Barack Obama once inspired have
      steadily given way to disillusion, and an ever-deepening sense of unease
      about the direction the country is heading."

      Barry Rubin (Director, Global Research in International Affairs): "Let’s
      face it, why would a man who has only been a community organizer,
      adjunct law professor, state legislator, and very briefly a senator with a
      bad attendance record have a real feel for international affairs? The fact
      that he is an ideologue and arrogant even by the usual standards of
      politicians and presidents makes things worse. So while there are some
      very good people in U.S. government agencies and even some very
      competent political appointees, the mess does result from arrogance,
      stupidity, ignorance, inexperience, and ideology of those who are making
      the final decisions. Yes, they are doing the best they can. And that’s
      precisely the problem".

       And those "One Liners" everyone likes were hard to find this week.

      "Obama's approval ratings are so low that people in Kenya are now
      accusing him of being born in the United states." -- Anonymous

      "If Donald Trump had an ounce of class, perspective, humility, humor,
      common sense, decency or courage, he would accept the jibes, laugh
      and offer the president an apology." -- Jack Marshall, in Ethics Alarms

      And, as usual, here are a few random "Afterthoughts" . . .

      Concerning the National Day of Prayer: Madison, WI, is the home base
      for an organization called "Freedom From Religion Foundation," which
      boasts that its 16,000 members makes it the largest organization of atheists
      and agnostics in America. In 2010 they filed action against the National Day
      of Prayer, and on April 15, 2010, U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb (who
      is also based in Wisconsin) declared the National Day of Prayer to be
      unconstitutional. One year later, on April 17, 2011, a panel of the 7th
      District Court of Appeals voted unanimously to over-ride Judge Crabb's
      decision. The Foundation has expressed its intent to appeal the panel's
      decision before the whole court.  It is possible that it may become illegal
      for Americans to have a day of prayer, and who knows? They may seek
      to eliminate Sunday as a day of Christian worship.

      Concerning the release of "the birth certificate" . . . Jeffrey Shapiro,
      writing in the Washington Times, provided this brief summary of the surprise
      announcement: "Many Americans were shocked yesterday when President
      Obama finally released his long-form birth certificate from the state of
      Hawaii. The real surprise, however, is that for the past three years, our
      democratic institutions did not address the matter. The media refused to
      tackle this issue ... the courts declined to hear a single case on the issue;
      and Congress failed to hold any hearings on the matter. Perhaps the
      saddest part of this story is its ending.  Mr. Obama did not release the
      birth certificate because the media pressured him or because the courts
      actually listened to one of the many cases that were filed. He released it
      because an obsessed billionaire threatened his electability in 2012." We
      coudn't have said it better.

      The Obama doctrine of "Leading from behind"outlined by Ryan Lizza.
      Ryan Lizza is the Washington correspondent for the New Yorker magazine,
      and in the current (May 2) issue, has an intriguing article on Obama's foreign
      policy. So intriguing, in fact, that two nationally syndicated columnists, Michael
      Barone and Charles Krauthammer have commented on it in their columns this
      week. Mr. Lizza traces the development of Mr. Obama's foreign policy
      philosophy in these words: "Obama didn't think much about foreign policy
      during his years as a community organizer and Illinois state senator...As
      it became clear that he was going to be elected to the U.S. Senate, he
      started reading and seeking out foreign policy experts of varying views."
      Lizza also quotes an Obama advisor's description of that policy: "One of his
      advisers described the president's actions in Libya as 'leading from
      behind.'" Krauthammer picked up on that analysis using these words,
      "Leading from behind is a style, not a doctrine... Lizza's painstaking
      two year chronicle shows it to be as ad hoc, erratic and  confused as it
      appears to be." And Barone makes note of Lizza's summation of that policy:
      "It's a different definition of leadership than America is known for, and
      it comes from two unspoken beliefs: that the relative power of the U.S.
      is declining, as rivals like China rise, and that the U.S. is reviled in many
      parts of the world."

      Our Founding Fathers always attest that this is a Christian nation . . .

      "I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing
      truth I see of this truth -- that God governs in the affairs of men. And if
      a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable
      that an empire can rise without his aid?" -- Benjamin Franklin, 1787

      "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is
      the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to
      select and prefer Christians for their rulers"
      -- John Jay, First Supreme Court Chief Justice, 1797

      "The only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in
      religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there
      can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican
      governments." -- Benjamin Rush, physician, educator, signer of Declaration
      of Independence, 1806