Newsletter for Nov. 3, 2010

  • American News
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2010
      The American News Commentary
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Vol. 15, No. 18a                      November 3, 2010                           © 2010
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      THIS WEEK'S EDITORIAL COMMENT: This publication is now and
      always has been more of a commentary than a news report. That is what
      the title is meant to convey: it is a commentary on American news, and
      to achieve that, the views expressed are based on Conservative political
      and economic principles, and on Evangelical Christian principles. It
      happens that today we are experiencing some extremely important news.
      To offer any reasonable and meaningful comment on those news events
      will require some time in preparation. You can get the actual news
      reports from the press and from broadcast media. We will be issuing our
      commentary within a few days -- thus essentially providing two issues this
      week. But until then, right now we have some interesting and important
      thoughts on current events to share with you.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      TO PARAPHRASE AN OLD BRITISH TV PROGRAM TITLE,
      "THAT WAS THE WEEK THAT WAS," IT IS FAIR TO SAY:
      THAT WAS THE (STRANGE) ELECTION, THAT WAS!

      Because of our internet emailing schedule, we have to have each week's
      issue ready to release by 6:00 AM Pacific time every Wednesday. In
      this week's situation, while we may all know the broad scope of the
      election results, we have not had opportunity to study them and assess
      the effect of those results on the life of our nation; thus, the need for our
      commentary to follow in a few days.

      We have often referred to this as being "the age of the polls." For the
      past 6 months or so we have been subjected to monthly, weekly and,
      in some instances, daily polls offering predictions on the outcome of
      yesterday's election. Overall, they were uniformly optimistic as to the
      expected Republican victories. Words like typhoon, tidal-wave, Tea
      Party tsunami, even Democrat billionare funder George Soros spoke of
      not wanting to stand in front of an avalanche. By now we have seen the
      figures, and the results are memorable, and to a certain extent, historic.

      Review very quickly -- using the numbers available at this hour --the
      three national groups which were part of this election: the Senate, the
      House of Representatives and the Governors of the various states. Prior
      to the election the Senate was made up of 57 Democrats, 41 Republicans
      and 2 Independents. As a result of this election, that makeup has changed
      to 50 Democrats, 46 Republicans and 2 Independents. Prior to this
      election, the House was made up of 257 Democrats and 178 Republicans.
      To win control of the House, the Republicans had to pick up 40 seats.
      As a result of this election, that makeup has changed to 183 Democrats
      and 238 Republicans. And the nation's Governors, prior to the election
      included 26 Democrats, 23 Republicans and 1 Independent. As a result
      of this election, the state Governors now include 16 Democrats, 29
      Republicans and still 1 Independent. (All results are subject to change.)

      What do all those changes mean? Our soon-to-follow commentary
      will offer a detailed analysis . . . but for now just these few thoughts.
      The number of House seats picked up by the Republicans in this mid-
      term election is the largest such pickup in at least 60 years. In his
      all out electioneering campaign, President Obama made 12 visits to
      Ohio . . . Vice President Biden made 8 visits . . . Bill Clinton was
      there, all in behalf of Democrat candidates -- yet Republicans won both
      the Governorship and the open Senate seat. Similarly, in Pennsylvania,
      normally a strong Democrat state, Republicans were elected both as
      Governor and Senator. And perhaps the biggest failure for Mr. Obama
      was the loss of his old Senate seat in Illinois to a Republican. Then
      coupling situations like those with the overall results in the three groups,
      and what we have seen is a strong repudiation of the Obama agenda. As
      a result, if he does not make an abrupt change of practice and procedure,
      the president will be unable to govern effectively.

      Remember our "Vote and Pray" countdown before this election?
      Our countdown of 300 days began on Jan. 6, and ended yesterday. In
      that period there were other prayer emphasis  plans . . . 100 days, 40
      days, etc. We have decided to start a new countdown period of prayer
      today, and are announcing that there are 734 days  until the next national
      Election Day, Nov. 6, 2012. (If you want to check our math on this,
      remember that 2012 is a "leap year," with 29 days in February.) So,
      beginning today, we invite -- more than that, we urge --  you to begin
      with us a 734 day "Pray for America" schedule, ending with the second
      part of our "Pray and Vote" slogan, and vote on Nov. 6, 2012.

      Instead of the usual "What Others Are Saying," here is a collection
      of "One Liners" from a wide ranging group of observers as they consider
      this Election. There should be something of interest for everyone here . . .

      From Gary Bauer: "Obama was once defined by soaring rhetoric, lofty
      aspirations and sky-high approval numbers. But ... all those have fallen
      back to earth with a president who today is more likely to sling the mud
      than to enchant the heavens."

      From Mark Alexander: "The election of Barack Hussein Obama was
      the worst of insults to our nation's heritage of Liberty."

      From Cal Thomas: "America used to be a nation that celebrated
      inventors and the inventive. Today we penalize the productive and
      subsidize the nonproductive."

      From Chuck Colson: "Without God's intervention, I see little hope for
      this country. The Church must be the Church--salt and light, and the
      conscience of society."

      From Victor Davis Hanson: "To talk positively about traditional
      marriage and the special historical relationship between a man and a
      woman is code for homophobia."

      From Suzy Rice: "Our country — any country, all countries —
      deserve so much more from people in elected office than this, than
      Obama’s abysmal displays from down in the gutter."

      From Robert Knight: "In trotting out the 'born gay, always gay'
      rhetoric, President Obama essentially declares God a liar. That would
      be the God who Mr. Obama professes to worship."

      From Larry Elder: "NPR fired him [Juan Williams], reconfirming the
      organization as a taxpayer-supported bastion of biased liberalism
      masquerading as 'nonpartisan.'"

      From William K. Black on Obama's gaffe in saying that Summers "did
      a heckuva job" during his appearance last week on the Jon Stewart show:
      "No, Mr. President, Larry Summers did not resolve the financial crisis
      for a pittance; he just papered over the problem."

      From Timothy H. Lee: "2008 - 2010; From 'Yes We Can.' to 'Shove it'
      in two short years."

      From Dr. Michael Youssef: "When pastors turn their pulpits over to
      imams to talk about the wonderful things about Islam, they are opening
      the doors for the wolves to come in."

      From Skip MacLure: "It's going to be a different America. An America
      rededicated to the Constitution of the United States. An America where
      our borders are secure and illegal immigration laws are followed."

      From Dr. Timothy F. Johnson: "Next is to find the next president of the
      United States, and retire President Obama to Chicago, Hawaii or Kenya
      in Nov. 2012."

      And now a few random "Afterthoughts" . . .

      Two more record setting exploits for Obama. (1) His trip to India
      next week, including his wife and children for sightseeing opportunities,
      is set to be the biggest ever for any U.S. president in terms of logistics
      (and cost,  of course!).  The presidential entourage will have 40 aircraft,
      including Air Force One to transport Mr. Obama and his family. There
      will be six armoured cars including four Barack Mobiles and a Cadillac.
      The trip will include a visit to the Taj Mahal, one of the world's greatest
      tourist attractions. (2) Less than halfway through his first term in office
      Mr. Obama has already appointed more openly homosexual officials than
      any other president in history -- more than 150 appointments so far, from
      agency heads and commission members to policy officials and senior
      staffers, exceeding the previous high of 140 during two full terms under
      Bill Clinton.

      "Some things I wish I hadn't said." (1) President Obama, Oct. 25:
      "We're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends
      who stand with us on issues that are important to us ... We don't mind
      the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta
      sit in back."  Surely not an attempt to play the "race card." (2) Jimmy
      Carter, Oct. 25,  in an MSNBC "Hardball" telecast with Chris Matthews,
      suggested that nearly the entire Tea Party movement had been "financed
      by hard right oligarchs," adding that the Tea Partiers are being
      "suborned by those who don't give a darn about low class working
      people."  Mr. Carter is entitled to his own personal opinion about
      working people, but he probably shouldn't make such public statements
      even on such a low rated TV show.

      It has happened in Great Britain; it could happen here. Last year the
      most popular name for newborn boys in Britain became: Mohammed!
      In recent year the names Jack and Harry had been most  popular, but
      Mohammed (spelled in 12 different ways, including Muhammad and
      Mohammad) surged ahead from third place in the previous year, with
      7,549 boys being given the name of the Islamic founder last year. In
      Britain, Muslims now number approximately 4% of the population,
      having increased by some 500,000 in the past four years.

      The Vatican joins Obama in "throwing Israel under the bus."  Last
      week an Associated Press story carried the headline, "Vatican Meeting
      of Mideast Bishops Demands Israel End Occupation of Palestinian
      Lands."  The AP story included these statements: "In a final joint
      communique, the bishops also told Israel it shouldn't use the Bible to
      justify 'injustices' against the Palestinians...The Bishops laid much of
      the blame for the conflict squarely on Israel." Overall, the bishops
      raised concerns about Iraq and Lebanon, but only in the context of the
      Israeli-Palestinian dispute, for which they suggest Israel bears almost
      the sole responsibility.

      Perhaps now more than ever, we should look to our Founding Fathers;
      Ronald R. Cherry, MD, affirms that the strengths of Americanism have
      derived entirely from the spiritual and moral outlook of the Founding
      Fathers, reminding us that: "The Judeo-Christian values of our Founding
      Fathers have resulted in an explosion of Life, Liberty and Creativity for
      hundreds of millions of people."

      "God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation
      be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a
      conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from
      God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I
      tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His
      justice cannot sleep forever." -- Thomas Jefferson, 1781

      "Let it be impressed on your mind that God commands you to choose for
      rulers just men who will rule in the fear of God (Exodus 18:21) ... If the
      citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the
      government will soon be corrupted ... If our government fails to secure
      public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect
      the Divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws."
      -- Noah Webster, 1832