Newsletter, Oct. 6, 2010

  • American News
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2010
      The American News Commentary
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Vol. 15, No. 14                           October 6, 2010                           © 2010
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      THIS WEEK'S EDITORIAL COMMENT:  That week-by-week count-
      down to Election Day, 2010, that we began in January of this year, as of
      today has gotten down to just 27 days till Nov. 2. -- less than one month!
      As in any battle, a slogan always seems appropriate, and there have been
      a few in recent months ... "In November we will remember" is one that
      comes to mind . . . more recently, as the serious nature of the mess we are
      in became more apparent, "It's November or never" was introduced. Now
      it occurs to us that quite unintentionally in last week's issue we seem to
      have found a new slogan which is remarkably appropriate for the 80%
      of the American people who are Christians: "We can make a difference."
      We can accomplish this goal of making a difference, of bringing about
      real change, in two steps: Pray and Vote. It's that simple -- Pray and Vote.
      To fail this assignment is to fail your Christian responsibility. (Remember:
      in order to vote, you must be registered -- if you are not registered, you
      have abandoned one of the greatest rights and privileges which are yours
      as an American citizen, to vote.) So accept your responsibility: Pray and
      Vote . . . and never doubt: "We can make a difference."
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      IF OBAMA (AND DEMOCRATS) COULD GAIN POWER WITH
      A MEANINGLESS SLOGAN FOR "CHANGE," THINK WHAT
      A REALLY MEANINGFUL SLOGAN CAN DO!

      This prevailing national fascination with political slogans isn't difficult
      to understand. It has been part of the American political process for
      hundreds of years. A few come to mind, "Tippecanoe And Tyler Too"
      (1840); "Full Dinner Pail" (1900); "Happy Days Are Here Again"
      (1932); "I Like Ike" (1952); "It's The Economy, Stupid" (1992); "Yes,
      America Can" (2004); and most recently, Barack Obama's "Change
      You Can Believe In." (2008).

      And now we appear to be stuck. The Obama "change" didn't prove to be
      something that merited belief or confdence, so for this year's mid-term
      election the Democrats are seeking change from what we have, with a
      new slogan, "Change That Matters."  The Republicans also want  to
      see a"Change" from what we presently are experiencing . . . and so to
      introduce a slightly different version of the widespread recognition that
      a change is necessary, we suggest that Christians adopt this slogan:
      "We Can Make A Difference."

      And here is our justification for the validity of that slogan. Let's do some
      simple math. Right now the American population is approximately
      311,000,000. The number of Christians is variously estimated as being
      between 225,000,000 and 250,000,000. Even assuming that only 60%
      of them are registered and eligible to vote, and that only half of those
      eligible voters actually do vote on Nov. 2 -- that is still a voting bloc of
      approximately 70,000,000. And that is a powerful force in any election
      -- enough to effect a dramatic change in the make-up of Congress to the
      point where they might reclaim for America the moral standards which
      made us great, and take a strong stand against Islamic terrorism..

      So, by just simple mathematics, there is real meaning, real validity, in that
      slogan, "We Can Make A Difference." Let's move forward with our two-
      step program, "Pray and Vote," and On Nov. 2 we will make a difference.

      And while voting has to wait till Nov. 2 -- we can pray right now! We
      have often mentioned the ongoing prayer program, "God Save America,"
      originated by Dr. Michael Youssef and his "Leading the Way" broadcasts.
      For October he presented the prayer challenge extremely well: "Our
      nation is adrift morally, spiritually, economically and politically. Our
      nation is on the high seas without a rudder or a compass. We need
      Godly leadership to guide our nation onto the right course. October's
      prayer focus is for Godly leadership - in our homes, churches,
      businesses and government." To join with other Christians across the
      nation in this prayer progam, go to: http://www.leadingtheway.org

      Do you remember the "Big Lie Theory?"  Although rooted in history
      more some 85 years ago, it has some interesting applications in current
      day events. In his "Mein Kampf," published in 1925, Hitler spoke of the
      effectivness of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that anyone
      "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously." Out of
      that thought, Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's head propagandist is supposed to
      have said, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people
      will eventually come to believe it."  And while his use of that version
      is questionable, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin's use of it is not: "A lie told often
      enough becomes truth."

      And here is where it all fits into today's situation. In 1943 the U.S. Office
      of Strategic Services (OSS -- the fore-runner of the CIA) commissioned
      the development of a report titled "A Psychological Analysis of Adolph
      Hitler, His Life and Legend," by Walter C. Langer. The report was kept
      secret for more than 20 years after the end of WW II, was declassified
      in 1968 and published in 1972 as "The Mind of Adolph Hitler." But in
      the description of Hitler's psychological profile there is this analysis:
      "His primary rules were never to allow the public to cool off; never
      admit a fault or a wrong; never concede that there may be some good
      in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame;
      concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that
      goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and
      if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it."

      Does any of that sound familiar? Does it resemble in the slightest degree
      the pattern of administration for any national government leader with
      whom you are familiar? Nah . . . no way he would have read this report
      on Hitler. It's pure coincidence.

      In a recent issue we spoke about our "Crisis of Confidence."  It has
      not gone away. Does anyone remember on March 9, 2010 when Nancy
      Pelosi said about the Obama health care reform bill: "We have to pass
      the bill so you can find out what's in it."  And they did pass it on March
      21, and the president signed it into law on March 23. . . and no one really
      knew what was in it. But six months later, on September 23 some of the
      provisions began to take effect . . . and the unthinkable happened: people
      began to find out what was in it.

      But the "Crisis of Confidence" contined . . . and grew. As late as the last
      week in September Mr. Obama repeated what some commentators have
      called "his biggest health care reform whopper" -- on Sept. 29 in one
      of his desperation campaign stops in Iowa he said: "There's nothing in
      the bill that says you have to change the health insurance you've got
      right now. If you were already getting health insurance on your job,
      then that doesn't change."

      So let's take a closer look at "Obamacare"-- the flagship program of
      the Obama administration. On the eve of the 6 month anniversary, when
      Obamacare began to take effect, the Washington Examiner headlined on
      Sept. 22: "Obamacare Is Even Worse than Critics Thought."  As the
      American people begin to find out what Nancy Pelosi had been talking
      about, the Obama health care reform plan becomes less desirable, with
      more than 50% favoring its repeal. And while Mr. Obama's statement in
      Iowa may not have been his "biggest health care reform whopper," it
      simply isn't true. Amost simultaneously with his pronouncement in Des
      Moines, several major U.S. companies revealed that they are seriously
      considering dropping employee health insurance coverage because it will
      cost less to pay the government imposed fines than to pay the greatly
      increased costs for providing employee health insurance coverage under
      Obamacare. And as the possibilities for individuals to secure personal
      health insurance coverage are disappearing, more individuals will be
      forced into the government operated Medicaid program -- with an
      estimated 37% increase in the number of Medicaid participants to 84
      million people receiving a lower quality of health care.

      And as for the costs: Obamacare is estimated to cost $2.5 trillion in the
      decade beginning in 2014 when it really takes effect, and to pay for it
      we will experience the largest tax increase in the nation's history. But
      there will be some employment relief -- Obamacare creates 159 new
      offices, agencies and commissions with thousands of employees, and
      the IRS alone will require 16,000 new agents to enforce the program's
      mandates.

      Commentator Thomas Sowell adds one note we probably would have
      otherwise missed -- "One of the many slick tricks of the Obama
      administration was to insert a provision in the massive Obamacare
      legislation regulating people who sell gold. This had nothing to do
      with medical care but everything to do with sneaking in an extension
      of the government's power over gold."

      And now with so little else working in his favor, President Obama is
      asking religious leaders to help him sell Obamacare to the American
      people.  Last week the president utilized a conference call to plead with
      thousands of faith-based and community organizations to preach the
      gospel of the new insurance reforms. Making an appeal for some sort
      of divine intervention is probably reasonable -- it may be the only thing
      that can help him now, as withn a month American voters will go to the
      polls to decide whether to re-elect the Congress who were responsible
      for handing this debacle to us.

      Meantime, during this month before Election Day, the president will
      doubtless continue to follow the principle established by Vladimir Lenin,
      the father of modern day communism, and keep telling the people that the
      Obamacare program is good for them, in the hope that if he says it often
      enough, people will begin to believe it.

      An important thought concerning the Nov. 2 election: James Madison,
      our 4th president, in 1883 addressed the fact that we will be facing in this
      election: "It has been said that all Government is an evil. It would be
      much more proper to say that the necessity of any Government is a
      misfortune. This necessity however exists; and the problem to be solved
      is, not what form of Government is perfect, but which of the forms is
      least imperfect." A good thought to remember as you vote on Nov. 2.

      So much to say and so little time; but here's a great "One Liner"
      Jena McGregor (Washington Post): "Obama is soft on terrorism,
      and is leading an administration mired in infighting."

      Still true: there is much to learn from "What Others Are Saying."

      Mat Staver (Liberty Counsel): " There can be no compromise on
      Obamacare. This national catastrophe with its unconstitutional mandates
      and job-destroying financial impact must be stopped! ... In a recent
      American Thinker commentary, author Deane Waldman cries out,
      'ObamaCare: Will someone please kill it before it kills us?'"

      Dr. Laurie Roth (Conservative commentator): "Gladiator battle of
      the century: Obama and Congress vs. The American People. The battle
      is on, the cameras and media whores offer their sold out close ups and
      distortions while the political blood flies. The strategies to win this
      all-or-nothing match are clear ... Strategy for Obama and Congress is
      most clear: lie, seduce, play the race card, promise, call names, create
      crises, divert media attention and operate around the American people,
      rule of law and constitution. Do it in a fast and furious way so that no
      one will have time to respond."

      Alexander Solzhenitsyn (Russian novelist, Nobel Prize winner): "The
      strength or weakness of a society depends more on the level of its
      spiritual life than on its level of industrialization... If a nation's spiritual
      energies have been exhausted, it will not be saved from collapse by the
      most perfect government structure or by any industrial development."

      Dennis Prager (Columnist and talk show host): "All Americans,
      including conservatives, understand why any leftist would vote
      Democrat this year. The Democratic party is now America's version of
      a European Social Democratic party...There is, however, a legitimate
      question regarding non-leftist Americans -- why would any of them vote
      for a Democrat  this year?"

      Alistair Cooke (British born journalist; American resident): "All
      presidents start out to run a crusade but after a couple of years they
      find they are running something less heroic: namely, the presidency.
      The people are well cured by then of election fever during which they
      think they are choosing Moses. In the third year, they look on the man
      as a sinner and a bumbler and begin to poke around for rumors of
      another Messiah."

      Daniel Hannan (British politician, Member European Parliament):
      "Barack Obama born in Kenya? Pah! If anything, he was born in Brussels.
      The policies his administration is pursuing amount to comprehensive
      Europeanisation: European carbon taxes, European foreign policy,
      European healthcare, European daycare, European disarmament,
      European industrial intervention, and inevitably, European
      unemployment rates. If there are any Americans reading, I've got some
      bad news for you ... As a member of the European Parliament, I have
      spent eleven years working in precisely the kind of system that you
      seem intent on creating. Believe me, my friends, you won't like it."

      And Fred Thompson, former U.S. Senator, recently said that if Obama,
      Pelosi and Reid get their way, their massive tax increases will: "crush
      jobs, deliver fresh doses of misery to small business owners, and if
      you're wondering whether or not your taxes are going up, here's your
      answer: If you pay taxes, your tax bill is going up --way up."

      And now, a few random "Afterthoughts" . . .

      The question of Obama's eligibility for the presidency may or may not
      be settled to everyone's satisfaction . . . but now an interesting side issue
      has developed. Rahm Emanuel, Obama's ex-Chief of Staff, as part of the
      massive departures of White House staff, announced he was running for
      Mayor of Chicago upon Richard Daley's retirement.  But as Lynn Sweet
      wrote in the Chicago Tribune: "The first question isn't: Can Rahm win?
      It's: Can Rahm run?" Election lawyers in Chicago have pointed out
      that the state's municipal code clearly requires that a candidate for mayor
      must reside in the community for a year prior to the election, and warn
      that Rahm could be removed from the ballot on a residency challenge. It's
      worth watching to see how this plays out.

      Bill Federer in his "American Minute" column points out some events
      in America's past of which we can really be proud. In October, 1982,
      President Reagan, working with Democrat House Speaker Tip O'Neil
      and Republican Senate Leader Strom Thurmond, signed into law a Joint
      Resolution of the 97th Congress, designating 1983 as "A Year of the Bible."
      Reagan spoke of the "contributions and influence of the Bible on our
      Republic and our people." In like manner, in January, 1941, President
      Roosevelt wrote a prologue to a special Gideon  edition of the New
      Testament and Psalms to be distributed to millions of World War II
      military, including these words, "I take pleasure in commending the
      reading of the Bible to all who serve in the armed forces of the United
      States."  Wouldn't it be wonderful if something like that could happen
      today . . . but no way. Our "progress" and "political correctness" would
      definitely prevent it. Plus a president who ignores any observance of
      the National Day of Prayer, but conducts a White House observance of
      the Islam religious holiday, Ramadan. Things have changed in America.

      Chuck Colson speaks of the moral implications of the Afghan war.
      In Bob Woodward's new book on Obama, he recounts the president's
      view of the war in Afghanistan, where Obama said, "Well, I don't look
      in terms of winning a war or losing a war. I want the country to be in
      a better position."  Mr. Colson's comment, "If there is no commitment
      to win, or no understanding of what 'win' even means, then you are
      wasting human lives for no purpose. And that is profoundly immoral...
      At the forefront of my thinking was the Christian 'Just War' doctrrine
      -- a view of war and justice that has formed the Western view of war
      for nearly 1,700 years. And it is the Christian understanding of 'Just
      War' that leads me to say that the war we are fighting in Afghanistan
      today is no longer morally justifiable."

      It is always appropriate to recall the views of our Founding Fathers.

      "The patriot, like the Christian, must learn to bear revilings and
      persecutions as a part of his duty; and in proportion as the trial is
      severe, firmness under it becomes more requisite and praiseworthy. It
      requires, indeed, self-command. But that will be fortified in proportion
      as the calls for its exercise are repeated." -- Thomas Jefferson, 1805

      "The American population is entirely Christian, and with us
      Christianity and Religion are identified. It would be strange indeed, if
      with such a people, our institutions did not presuppose Christianity
      and did not often refer to it and exhibit relations with it."
      Chief Justice John Marshall, 1833