Newsletter for Apr. 7, 2010

  • American News
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2010

      American News Commentary

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

       Vol. 14, No. 14                   April 7,  2010                       © 2010

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      IN REFUTING MR. OBAMA’S CLAIM  that America is not

      a Christian nation, we have often cited former presidents, (none

      of whom ever made such an assertion), and we have referred to

      quotes from our Founding Fathers – the men who established

      America as a Christian nation on Judeo-Christian principles.

      But perhaps we should have gone even further back into history,

      to British scholar Robert Burton who wrote in 1621: “Columbus

      did not find out America by chance, but God directed him at

      that time  to discover it; it was contingent to him, but

      necessary to God.” That is just over 100 years after Columbus

      discovered America; it’s difficult to go much further back than that.

      So both history and current statistics make Mr. Obama’s claim

      suspect. The most recent polls put America’s Christian population

      at 80%, in round numbers, with about another 10% as non-believers

      in any religion, and about 10% representing all other religions. As in

      so many other matters, here also Mr. Obama is misinformed about

      (or ignores) the facts.

      On November 20, 2009, 148 Evangelical Christian believers met in

      Washington, DC, and signed a new statement of Christian moral

      values called the "Manhattan Declaration."  Within 24 hours the number

      of signatures had reached 10,000 . . . within one week it had passed

      100,000. And this was accomplished with little or no news coverage

      or hardly any mention by the main line media. Essentially the project

      was presented on the Internet. Today, just over 4 months later, the

      number of signatures is nearing a half million.

      Speaking of what has happened in those few months, the sponsors

      this week wrote on the Internet: "It is nothing less than a miracle

      that we have been able, with virtually no budget, to accumulate

      in four or five months almost a half million signers. Some

      organizations that have been working to build their lists for 30

      years haven't done much better than that. God will continue to

      do the miracles - and we will do our part as well. As the great

      missionary William Carey said, 'Expect great things from God.

      Attempt great things for God.' Thank God He is raising up

      hundreds of thousands of Christians to draw a line in the sand at

      this time of ominous challenge to the fundamental principles of

      justice and truths of our faith - principles and truths which are

      the very foundation of our nation and of every society that values

      human dignity and the common good."

      Now the plan is to accumulate, as soon as possible, one million

      signatures, and then take the Declaration with those one million

      signatures to a meeting with President Obama. To learn what you

      can do, and how you can share in this project, go to this site:

      At a time when all Christians recognize the need for action, this

      question quickly arises: What can I do?  Here is a practical and

      effective answer to that question. We here were early signers of

      the Manhattan Declaration, and will continue to actively support it.

      The president's religious views at Easter and Passover.

      President Obama used his weekly radio and Internet address on
      Saturday, Easter eve, to promote some of the priorities on his political
      agenda -- health insurance, unemployment and education -- but also
      included some comments which might be considered spiritual in nature,
      as he called on people of all faiths, including non-believers, to unite in a
      "shared spirit of humanity." Mentioning both Easter and Passover,
      he said,  "While we worship in different ways, we also remember
      the shared spirit of humanity that inhabits us all -- Jews and
      Christians, Muslims and Hindus, believers and nonbelievers alike,"
      and he urged: "let us hold fast to those aspirations we hold in
      common as brothers and sisters, as members of the same family
      -- the family of man." Just as his international political views have a
      one-world goal, so his religious views seem to have a one religion (or
      lack thereof) goal. Or as Greg Hengler asked in his Internet review: "Is
      this the first American president to dechristianize Easter?"
      In the light of Scripture, it is difficult to understand the attitude

      of the Obama administration (including his Secretary of State -- see

      note below) and their opposition to our long-time friend and ally, the

      nation Israel. Consider God's word concerning Jerusalem: "I have

      chosen Jerusalem that my name might be there ... I will defend

      this  city, to save it, for mine own  sake ...at that time they shall

      call Jerusalem the throne of the Lord; and all the nations shall

      be gathered unto it, to the name of the Lord ... so you shall know

      that I am the Lord your God, dwelling in Zion, my holy mountain:

      then shall Jerusalem be holy and there shall be no strangers to

      invade her any more." (II Chron 6:6; II Kings 19:34; Jer. 3:17;

      Joel 3:17) And remember also, Psalm 122:6 where God said, "Pray

      for the peace of Jerusalem." He did not say fight for, or negotiate

      for, or barter for the peace of Jerusalem -- His instruction was to

      pray for the peace of Jerusalem. And the eternal Jehovah God,

      the creator and ruler of the universe, will see His promise concerning

      Jerusalem fulfilled, "they shall prosper that love thee." (Ps. 122)

      Concerning this unprecedented situation, US Rep. Mike Pence (R,IN)

      said : "I never thought I'd live to see the day that an American

      administration would denounce the Jewish state of Israel for

      rebuilding Jerusalem." And Wesley Pruden (Editor Emeritus, the

      Washington Times) said: "This is the moment a certain number of

      a certain breed of Democrats have been waiting for. The latest

      outburst of bad feeling between Barack Obama and Benjamin

      Netanyahu can be the cover they seek for finally putting the Jews

      in their place." It is indeed strange to see an American president

      taking a firm and aggressive stand in opposition to the word of God.

      And in the midst of all this mess are the views held by the Obama

      Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, who is often perceived as being

      by-passed from the big jobs in foreign policy, perhaps due to her

      former competitive animosity toward the president. But a look at the

      areas where she is active shows a lot of messes of her own creation.

      In March she helped fan the fires of tension between the US and

      Israel over the building of new homes in East Jerusalem -- which

      really wasn't a valid issue, since the work had already been planned.

      But then, with no warning, Clinton delivered to Prime Minister

      Netanyahu a 43 minute verbal attack, during which lecture she

      termed the Israeli housing plans "deeply negative."

      So between the actions of Obama and Clinton, America's long time

      close relationship with Israel -- and God's chosen city, Jerusalem --

      appear to be not only tenuous, but actually almost in danger of being

      severed. More and more it is evident that the choice of American

      voters has to be between the views of Barack Obama and the

      traditional Christian views of the American people.

      But amid all of Iran's threats to eliminate the nation Israel,

      Conservative commentator Pat Buchanan offers these thoughtful

      quotes: "Diplomacy has failed," said Sen. Chuck Schumer, (D,NY):

      "Iran is on the verge of becoming nuclear and we cannot afford

      that."  "We have to contemplate the final option," said Sen. Evan

      Bayh, (D,IN), "the use of force to prevent Iran from getting a

      nuclear weapon."  "War is a "terrible thing," said Sen. Lindsay

      Graham, (R,SC), "but sometimes it is better to go to war than to

      allow the Holocaust to develop a second time." ... Danielle Pletka

      of the American Enterprise Institute, Neocon Central, writes, "The

      only questions remaining, one Washington politico tells me, are

      who starts it and how it ends. As to who starts it we know the

      answer. Teheran has not started a war in memory and is not

      going to launch a suicide attack on a superpower with thousands

      of nuclear weapons. As with Iraq in 2003, the war will be

      launched by the United States against a nation that did not

      attack us -- to strip it of weapons it does not have."

      Speaking to the slogan, "In November We Will Remember,"
      Matt Staver of Liberty Counsel well expressed our views: "We will
      remember the tyranny, the power grab, the overt manipulation,
      the backroom deals, the closed-door sessions, the condescension
      toward the American people, the disenfranchising of constituents,
      the steamrolling of the legislative process, the subversion of the
      Constitution, and the outright disregard of the rule of law. We
      will not forget these events and the 111th Congress will quite
      possibly go down as the most corrupt body of  legislators in
      U.S. history."
      Our weekly reminder: Election Day, 2010, is Nov. 2 -- and is
      now just 209 days away. Remember: every Representative in the
      Congress and about one third of the Senators will be elected. This
      will be our opportunity as Christians to make our voices heard.
      And according to the most recent polls, most Americans feel the
      same way. On the president's performance, 46% approve and 53%
      disapprove. That same figure, 53%, applies also to the percentage
      of voters who now trust Republicans more than Democrats -- the
      president's party is more trusted by only 37%. And as for the new
      health care reform law, 54% of American voters favor its repeal.
      And while support for the outright repeal of Obamacare remains
      strong, proponents of its un-constitutionality (state attorneys-general
      and others) are also firm in their convictions, and supporters of the
      10th Amendment equally strongly favor nullification by the states.
      Concerning this approach, we are reminded of these words from
      Thomas Jefferson in 1798: "Whensoever the General Government
      assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void,
      and of no force." So we move toward the Nov. 2 elections with
      the wind at our back.
      Oh, and looking ahead to the elections of 2012, a new survey from
      Public Policy Polling (PPP), a Democrat Party affiliated polling firm,
      reports that Obama is tied, or holds only a very narrow lead over
      two unannounced but possible Republican presidential candidates,
      former Governors Mike Huckabee (R, AR) and Mitt Romney (R,
      MA). If such an election were held today, it would be a toss-up --
      Obama tied with Huckabee at 44% each, with Obama leading
      Romney by only 46% - 44%. But in the race between Obama and
      Romney, Obama lost the independent voters by 38% - 45%.
      In each issue we select a few "What Others are Saying" quotes
      for your information -- these aren't the quotes you are apt to find in the

      liberal "main line" media -- but they do present some important opinions.

      Robert Ringer -- "Once someone uses an abstract phrase such as

      ''the common good,'' it automatically puts them in one of two

      categories: ignoramus or Marxist. There is no such thing as the

      common good, because what is good for me may be bad for you,

      and vice versa. Civilized people work to improve their own well-

      being, and they do so while respecting the rights of others to do

      the same."

      Glenn Beck -- "The news that politicians are trying to erase

      Christianity from the map isn't exactly shocking anymore – it’s

      par for the course. And it's always the same bogus excuses:

      separation of church and state, 'diversity', and tolerance."

      Dr. Laurie Roth, (Canada Free Press): "When you look at Hitler,

      Saul Alinsky, Stalin, Lenin, Chavez, Castro and others, you see

      huge similarities with the strategy and world view of Obama.

      It is the same, promise of health care, jobs and opportunities.

      There is always a contrived crisis or two the big Government

      has to magically solve, while blaming the enemies they want

      to create."

      And there are these interesting comments, from two TV talk
      show hosts who used to have much larger audiences than they do
      now -- first, from MSNBC's Chris Matthews, host of "Hardball"
      on Mar. 29: “What are the Tea Partiers really angry about?
      Health care reform, or the fact that it was an African American
      President and a woman Speaker of the House who pushed
      through  major change?” In other words, if you are against
      Obamacare, you are automatically a bigot; Mr. Matthews offers no
      other option. And the other from another talk show host also from
      MSNBC with an embarrassingly ever declining audience, Keith
      Olbermann, on his program called "Countdown" on March 22: “If
      racism is not the whole of the Tea Party, it is in its heart, along
      with blind hatred, a total disinterest in the welfare of others, and
      a full-flowered, self-rationalizing refusal to accept the outcomes
      of elections, or the reality of democracy, or the narrowness of their
      minds and the equal narrowness of their public support."  Hmmm
       -- Olbermann obviously doesn't read the polls which show that 54%
      of American voters favor repeal of the new health care law, with only
      42% opposing such repeal. And 48% of voters say that the average
      Tea Party member is closer to their views than is President Obama.
      One does wonder what kind of an uninformed environment Matthews
      and Olbermann live in! And to add to their problems, David Shuster,
      who appears regularly on the Matthews show, and often substitutes
      for Olbermann, has now been "suspended indefinitely" from MSNBC.

      An interesting comment from one of our readers: It isn't just

      lawyers, news agencies and people in positions of authority who are

      concerned over the Obama cloak of secrecy about his birth, education,

      religion, health, etc ... it is also ordinary people, like one of our readers

      who sent us an email to remind us that the president's wife, Michelle,

      speaking at the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans-sexual) Delegate

      luncheon hosted by Barney Frank at the Democrat convention, spoke

      of the family's visit to Mr. Obama's "home country" of Kenya, and our

      reader notes that she didn't refer to Hawaii or Indonesia as his "home

      country," but did assign that designation to Kenya, in Africa. And our

      reader pointed out the dictionary definition of "home country" as "the

      country in which a person was born and usually raised, regardless

       of the present country of residence and citizenship."  Like we said:

      an interesting comment from one of our readers.

      And just a few good "One Liners" . . .

      Steven Ertelt: "As the Gospels tell us, Jesus was betrayed for

      30 pieces of silver by one of this disciples .... In a similar way,

      the pro-life movement experienced a similar betrayal by people

      who they regarded as friends and allies."

      Kevin McCullough: "Mr. President your assertions and

      statements in this week's radio address were either grotesquely

      ignorant or purposefully dishonest. Which was it sir?"

      Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy (1892): "The more is given the less

      the people will work for themselves, and the less they work the

      more their poverty will increase."

      Some Random Afterthoughts ...

      A new Nobel Prize has been suggested; this time for Idiocy, based

      on this comment by Newsweek's Howard Fineman to MSNBC's

      Keith Olbermann, during the live coverage of the signing of the health

      care reform bill: “You know, Keith, I really think Barack Obama

      could finish the year with not just one Nobel Prize, but three. This

      health care bill is bound to save literally millions of lives, and the

      legislative language itself is a masterpiece. Given the good sense

      of the Norwegians, I think the President could easily win the

      Nobels for medicine and literature this year.”

      But Eleanor Clift, writing in Newsweek, ran a close second: her

      comment: “Remember when right-wingers talked about putting

      Ronald Reagan’s likeness on Mount Rushmore? Now with health

      care reform passed and conservatism in the dustbin of history, I

      propose the commemoration on Rushmore of none other than

      Barack Obama. Imagine a future Black Hills eagle, perched atop

      giant, empathetic ears of granite, approvingly surveying a land

      our 44th President did so much to heal.”  (Well, she got the part

      about the giant ears right.)

      Some goings-on in Washington do make you wonder! Under its
      "Energy Star" program, whose announced goal is to promote the
      development and use of energy saving products, a federal government
      agency has been slapping "energy-efficient" ratings on products that
      don't even exist. These fake products were submitted to the EPA
      (Environmental Protection Agency) and the Department of Energy for
      approval as part of an undercover investigation by the GAO, the
      Government Accountability Office. The GAO wanted to see how
      easily the feds could be fooled. The Energy Star program serves as
      a guide to businesses looking for such products to produce, and also
      to qualify for millions of dollars under the Obama stimulus program.
      Of the 20 products submitted for approval, 15 were approved, even
      though the companies didn't exist. The GAO report said the fact that
      it could so easily fool the government agency shows that the Energy
      Star fails to provide valid assurance for manufacturers or consumers.

      In case TV ratings matter to you -- the ratings of CNN, once a

      major TV news source, continued on their downward slide during

      the first quarter of 2010. The New York times reported that Larry

      King's show took a 43% drop, with viewers falling to just over

      700,000, way down from an average of 1.3 million last year. And

      Anderson Cooper's prime time show lost 42% of viewers. Meantime,

      Fox News saw its best ratings ever, with Glenn Beck's show growing

      by 50% and Bill O'Reilly's audience increasing by 28%.

      Three quotes from our Founding Fathers, still applicable today:

      "It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of

      Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits,

      and humbly to implore his protection and favors."

      -- George Washington, 1789

      "The aim of every political constitution is, or ought to be, first

      to obtain for rulers men who possess most wisdom to discern,

      and most virtue to pursue, the common good of the society;

      and in the next place, to take the most effectual precautions for

      keeping them virtuous whilst they continue to hold their public

      trust."  -- James Madison, 1788

      "If it be asked, What is the most sacred duty and the greatest
      source of our security in a Republic? The answer would be, An
      inviolable respect for the Constitution and Laws -- the first
      growing out of the last. ... A sacred respect for constitutional
      law is the vital principle, the sustaining energy of a free
      government." -- Alexander Hamilton, 1794
      To Subscribe (No subscription charge) Click on:
      To Unsubscribe - Click on: