Pacific

  • Mike Gough
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2003
      Greetings and happy new year to all,

      My name is Mike Gough, I am preparing a Maramu, 1984, #147 for a Pacific crossing. I am considering clockwise from Australia, Louisiades, Micronesia, Japan, Alaska then West coast till Panama and join the trade wind route back to Aust. Has anyone any experience or info on this route please?

    • Derek jarvis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
        Mike
        My name is Derek Jarvis and I'm a broker over in Ft lauderdale these days but cruised extensively in that area a number of years ago.
        I have done the route you are planning,but not as far north as you want to go.I went from Queensland to Samarai then to the Trobriands,up to Madang then the Hermits,Philippines and Hong Kong.On the way back I hit the Philippines again,then Palau,the Ninigoes,Madang again,then the Louisiades,Gizo in the Solomons and back to Oz.
        The usual route is thru PNG to Palau(now Belau)Yap and up to Guam then Saipan,Okinawa to southern Japan.From there its follow the Westerlies to Dutch Harbor,along the chain of the Aleutian islands.
        I came back across from Queensland via the Solomons,Tarawa,Majuro,Wake Island,Honolulu to Vancouver.
        Enjoy your sail its a great part of the world!If I can be of help email me at derek@...
        Cheers Derek