Thru hull replacement

  • rossny@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2011
      Hi, Is it common to replace engine intake thru hull on a Maramu(1989)? Yard was replacing ball valve and now tells me that the existing glassed in one must be replaced. They want to use a standard bolt on to replace. Anybody have an opinion or experience with this? Should I ask them to re-glass a new one or is this the accepted way to repair? My boat is over 1,000 miles away. Thankyou, Ross
    • Richard Piller
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
        Hi Ross, why do they wish to replace the thur hull.  Is the boat in the US and they don't have the correct threads.  Unless there is damage to thru hull area and they need to do some glass work as well or the thur hull itself has been damage replacement is not a good idea.  Ask them to send you photos from inside and outside the boat.   I would be a good idea if you still have concerns to post them here.

        Good luck
        SM 209 for sale at Epic in Annapolis
        Richard

        ________________________________
        Hi, Is it common to replace engine intake thru hull on a Maramu(1989)? Yard was replacing ball valve and now tells me that the existing glassed in one must be replaced. They want to use a standard bolt on to replace. Anybody have an opinion or experience with this? Should I ask them to re-glass a new one or is this the accepted way to repair? My boat is over 1,000 miles away. Thankyou, Ross

      • john martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
          If the boat is in the US they may be trying to replace the ball valve with a standard SAE thread. It won't work. Amels thru hulls are all British thread. Its easier to find a British valve then to replace the thru hull to match the SAE thread, even if you have to order it from Amel. John "Moon Dog" SM 248

          To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
          From: rossny@...
          Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:38:54 +0000

          Hi, Is it common to replace engine intake thru hull on a Maramu(1989)? Yard was replacing ball valve and now tells me that the existing glassed in one must be replaced. They want to use a standard bolt on to replace. Anybody have an opinion or experience with this? Should I ask them to re-glass a new one or is this the accepted way to repair? My boat is over 1,000 miles away. Thankyou, Ross

        • Dave_Benjamin
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
            Ross,

            First off congrats on your new Maramu.

            What's the reason for replacing the ball valve? Corrosion? Frozen up? Where's the boat? If it's in an area with high labor rates, you may come out ahead either having a machine shop create a fitting for you even importing a ball valve from Europe as opposed to the fiberglass work.

            Mine were all replaced by a previous owner so I don't know if the older ones had glassed in intake thru-hulls like yours. I do know that the original plumbing scheme had the aft toilet intake sharing with the engine intake which is frowned upon these days.

            Best of luck.