Re: Navigation Software

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2011
      We use iNavx on our iPad as a planning aid to supplement our aging plotters.

      The software works great. It is surprisingly responsive, more so than any laptop programs I've tried.

      The Navionics for iPad charts are a fraction of the cost of the desktop version ($30 for a region rather than $300).

      If you go this route, be sure to get an iPad with 3g. The wifi-only iPads do not have real GPS builtin: they interpolate based on nearby fixed wifi signals which isn't so effective at sea. Having said that, iNavx allows you to connect wirelessly to your ships NMEA data but requires some tech know-how.

      --Mark