Re: Life raft

  • Stephan Regulinski
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
      Bill,

      I bought a Winslow 8 man life raft in a valise that is lighter than
      others on the market in order to make it easier to get in and out of
      the safety locker. To make it easier to retrieve, I asked Winslow to
      sew in handels on the end (which would be the top as I loaded it)
      strong enough to lift the raft. I have since removed it from the
      locker using the spare halyard on the mizzen mast (on my SMM #303
      this is a black and white halyard stowed on the port side and also
      used to raise the mizzen foc) and the electric main winch.

      If you are careful how you stow this raft (that is, do not pack too
      tightly and do not jam under the edge of the locker) it lifts easily
      from the locker with no further ado. I suggest training your crew on
      this procedure.

      Good luck,

      Stephan G. Regulinski

      --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Krassopoulos Dimitris
      <dkra@p...> wrote:
      > Dear Bill,
      >
      > On my previous boat Amel Santorin and the new SM2000 there is a
      simple
      > system with which you can lift the life raft out of the locker with
      the
      > electric sail winch. I do it every year for the inspection and it is
      > straight forward you just need to attach two points on the raft to
      attach
      > the hooks. Do not buy a hard container for the life-raft as the
      locker
      > protects the life-raft from the elements.
      >
      > Best Regards
      >

      > Dimitris Krassopoulos
      >

      > Mobile GSM: +306944302318
      > Email: dkra@a... <mailto:dkra@a...>
      > Web: www.almalibre.gr <http://www.almalibre.gr/>
      >

      > _____

      We
      > > shipped a 24 VDC to 110 VAC, 1000 watt inverter, with outlets,
      > which
      > > Amel wired for us. We shipped a poorly-evaluated cockpit
      > > chartplotter, which Amel wired for us - only later did we
      realized
      > > that at that time Amel had its own chart plotter at the nav
      > station,
      > > which they consequently just did not install. Ours hasn't worked
      > > for two years, and will be replaced if we decide we need one.
      > Our
      > > changes have been as follows: we quickly replaced the dinghy and
      > > outboard; we have just replaced the VCR and probably soon the TV
      > > (In our opinion, there are few if any decent TV shows in the
      > > Caribbean except on marina cable in Trinidad.) We are replacing
      > our
      > > inverter with a hard-wired 1800 watt version this week. If we
      > > could have had a choice, it would have been nice to have Amel
      > supply
      > > a Spade anchor (made in Tunesia, a French country) instead of the
      > > Amel modified CQR - we didn't know about Spade then.
      > > In case some of this sounds negative, I would like to add
      that
      > > in four years we have not seen a single boat that we would have
      > > accepted in trade for our Amel. Some things don't change as you
      > > progress along your learning curve.
      > > Best wishes for you and your new Amel.
      > > Bill on S/V Lady Sadie, currently in Trinidad
      > > for hurricane season
      > I forgot to mention another important group of purchases. We
      > shipped our goods to France by boat, so we included inflatatble
      > PFD's and our Man-Overboard-Module. We asked Amel to purchase a
      > life raft for us, without giving them any specifications. They
      > purchased an 8-passenger Plastimo life raft. It was so heavy that
      > my wife and I together could barely lift it IN the safety locker,
      > let alone think of getting it OUT of the locker in bad conditions.
      > We never have more than 4 persons aboard, and usually only 2
      > persons. Our new 4-passenger life raft meets our needs much better.
      > Fair winds and fine wines, Bill on S/V Lady Sadie
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      050657
      > 92:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?
      code=3050
      > 9&media=atkins> click here
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupmai
      > l/S=:HM/A=1706996/rand=406523976>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Stefano Biffi
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
        Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks

        Stefano on board N'EVEREST
        SM185 now Bocca di Magra
      • karkauai@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
          When on overnite passages, I take it out of the port locker and lash it to the aft cabintop with easy-to-untie knots and a dedicated sharp knife if needed. Ditch bag with EPIRB, fishing gear, and hand operated desalinator are in the port cockpit locker. Satphone and handheld VHF and GPS are on the shelf to starboard of the companionway.
          I'm going to have to purchase a new liferaft when I go out again as this one is 15 yrs old and they won't service it any more. I'll deploy the old one to see just how difficult it is to do and how hard it is to get aboard once in the water.
          I'll let you all know what happens.
          Kent
          SM 243
          KRISTY
          Sent from my BlackBerry� smartphone powered by Alltel

          Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks

          Stefano on board N'EVEREST
          SM185 now Bocca di Magra

        • Attilio Siviero YAHOO
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
            this is the position of my liferaft (neglect my wife's "basilico"), much better.
            In the port locker I put a couple of spare sails

            Attilio & Maria Siviero
            Amel Santorin#84 "Sisila"

            Il giorno 28/set/2012, alle ore 00:39, Stefano Biffi <cptbiffi@...> ha scritto:

            > Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks
            >
            > Stefano on board N'EVEREST
            > SM185 now Bocca di Magra

          • Attilio Siviero YAHOO
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
              this is the position of my liferaft (neglect my wife's "basilico"), much better.
              In the port locker I put a couple of spare sails

              Sorry I understand that no photo attachment is possible. My liferaft is behind mizzen mast, I put 4 wooden blocks glued with 3M 5300 marine adhesive, 25mm marine plywood, and 4 supports bolted on them (the ones used for the fuel tank in the dinghy), and the liferaft belted on them. After I covered it, only for aesthetics, with a red hood.

              Cheers

              Attilio & Maria Siviero
              Amel Santorin#84 "Sisila"

              Il giorno 28/set/2012, alle ore 00:39, Stefano Biffi <cptbiffi@...> ha scritto:

              > Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks
              >
              > Stefano on board N'EVEREST
              > SM185 now Bocca di Magra

            • Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
                Stefano,

                We are circumnavigating aboard BeBe, SM387. We moved the life raft to the cockpit lazzerette, and have used the port deck locker to stow 10 jerry-cans of diesel with each one holding 18.9 liters. This gives us an extra 189 liters of diesel. We have never needed this extra diesel, but it makes us feel good to have 789 liters of diesel rather than just 600. Our longest non-stop passage was 3,000 miles. We used 234 liters on that passage, however on one 1,600 mile passage we used 400 liters.

                Hopes this helps you decide where to place the life raft.

                Best,

                Bill
                BeBe, SM2k #387
                Currently E Med

                --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Stefano Biffi <cptbiffi@...> wrote:

                > Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks
                >
                > Stefano on board N'EVEREST
                > SM185 now Bocca di Magra

              • (no author)
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
                  Bill,

                  I also keep my life raft in the port cockpit locker. I had 2 aluminum tanks
                  fitted into the "life raft locker with hose barbs connected to each tank to
                  pump them out. They hold a total of about 260 liters of diesel. Works great
                  and no problem transferring fuel in rough seas, I use a whale guppy transfer
                  pump.

                  Fair Winds

                  Eric

                  Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

                  _____

                  <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , Stefano Biffi <cptbiffi@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in
                  the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight!
                  My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to
                  remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear!
                  Thanks

                  > Stefano on board N'EVEREST
                  > SM185 now Bocca di Magra

                • stefano biffi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 28, 2012
                    thanks for the info's, still thinking will be a heavy duty for me to move the raft also from inside the cockpit locker to the port side for an emergency escape route!

                    N'EVEREST
                    SM185 in Bocca di Magra

                    ________________________________

                    --- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Stefano Biffi <cptbiffi@...> wrote:

                    > Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks
                    >
                    > Stefano on board N'EVEREST
                    > SM185 now Bocca di Magra

                  • stefano biffi
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 28, 2012
                      grazie!

                      N'EVEREST
                      SM185 in Bocca di Magra

                      ________________________________
                      this is the position of my liferaft (neglect my wife's "basilico"), much better.
                      In the port locker I put a couple of spare sails

                      Sorry I understand that no photo attachment is possible. My liferaft is behind mizzen mast, I put 4 wooden blocks glued with 3M 5300 marine adhesive, 25mm marine plywood, and 4 supports bolted on them (the ones used for the fuel tank in the dinghy), and the liferaft belted on them. After I covered it, only for aesthetics, with a red hood.

                      Cheers

                      Attilio & Maria Siviero
                      Amel Santorin#84 "Sisila"

                      Il giorno 28/set/2012, alle ore 00:39, Stefano Biffi <cptbiffi@...> ha scritto:

                      > Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks
                      >
                      > Stefano on board N'EVEREST
                      > SM185 now Bocca di Magra

                    • stefano biffi
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 28, 2012
                        thanks very helpfull the list "do not forget on board"! hoping not to use it

                        N'EVEREST
                        SM185 in Bocca di Magra

                        ________________________________

                        Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks

                        Stefano on board N'EVEREST
                        SM185 now Bocca di Magra

                          Hallo more experience collegues, I'm going for the raft revision. I had in the standard position portside. Taking out I discovered how' s the weight! My question is if anyone of you have the slide outside or any secret to remove quickly in an emergency condition beside the force of the fear! Thanks

                          Stefano on board N'EVEREST
                          SM185 now Bocca di Magra

                        • joemac4sail
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
                            Hi
                            I think the trick is to have the liferaft as close to the top of the locker as possible, the locker lid almost presses down on the liferaft canister. I then find that it is then easier to pull out from a standing position. I used a couple of beer crates modified to raise the liferaft to the lip of the locker and all it requires then is a short pull of a foot and tilting the canister, the lipthen takes a lot of the weight as it comes onto the deck.
                            Having said all that,once, early in my sailing career, fear became a factor in removing a liferaft from a cockpit locker at speed. While sailing a Benateau of the east coast of Ireland, we hit a rock at about 5 knots., Belive me when you have to, lifting a liferaft canister is no weight at all.
                            Regards Joe
                          • Io
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
                              Thanks to share your experience