Re: [Amel] a clean toilet

  • Richard03801
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hi we just used the same SEW Clean it work well WITH one BIG problem it cleaned the seal off our ball valve so that it no longer not a big deal except that when in port we can nolonger use the forward head unit we change out the sea cock. So much for savings. Just as a check we closed the valve fill the holding tank again with water and within a few hours the tank was empty. Lesson learned take care when/if using this stuff We used 1 part chem 6 parts water.

      Richard SM209

      Sent by Richard Piller

      On May 26, 2010, at 17:09, john martin <symoondog@...> wrote:

      > I believe I have found a good solution for the unenviable task of cleaning and deordorizing toilets on board. The product is “SewClean” meaning sewer clean – see WWW.TRAC-ONLINE.COM. It is non-toxic and biodegradable. It acts the same as muriatic acid as it removes scale and calcium from the pipes, hoses and parts in your toilet.
      >
      > A one gallon jug of SewClean cost me about US$80 (bought in St Lucia) but you dilute it 5:1 so you end up with 6 gallons of product for treating the toilets. (Since I’m not in the states right now, I don’t know about cost or availability there) First I mixed up a one gallon batch. On the toilet, I pushed the right hand switch (pump only) to empty the toilet system and holding tank of any fluid. Then I shut off the holding tank and taped the vent on deck to make it airtight (per the directions). I then put the 1 gallon batch into the toilet and using pump-only, I pumped it all in, being careful to leave a little of the mix in the bottom of the toilet. Aft er 24 hours, I got in the dinghy and observed at the holding tank drain hole while my wife opened the valve to empty the holding tank. I was astounded by the volume of particles and crud that came out. The product had turned dark reddish-brown, probably a chemical reaction. Next my wife flushed the toilet with sea water several times and a great deal more crud and pieces of beige colored scale were flushed out. Now that we’re done, the toilet flushes well and smells great. For US$15 a treatment, it sure beats spending a miserable day dissassembling and cleaning an entire toilet system.
      >
      > The same company also makes “Barnacle Buster,” a product that removes calcium deposits from the sea water cooling system in your engine and heat exhanger without the need for disaasembling any systems. I haven’t tried this yet but will send in a report after I do.
      >
      > I also found a similar product for the toilet called Maritime Express “The Ultimate Descaler.” It’s sold by WWW.SEAFARING.COM in California. It’s only US$30 per gallon from them and I don’t know what dealers might carry it in the US or elsewhere.
      >
      > John Martin
      > MOON DOG
      > SM #248

    • syhazel55
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2010
        Hi Richard,
        I called the manufacturer of the SewClean product to inquire about your concerns, and they were adamant that their product does not harm plastic, rubber or metal. Since posting my first notes on this product, I also have used it to clean the lines from my seachest to the toilet and have had good results. I also did a mini-test with a rubber O-ring, leaving it in a bowl of the SewClean (undiluted) efor 3 days and it seemed unaffected.

        John
        MOON DOG
        SM 248

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

        > Hi we just used the same SEW Clean it work well WITH one BIG problem it cleaned the seal off our ball valve so that it no longer not a big deal except that when in port we can nolonger use the forward head unit we change out the sea cock. So much for savings. Just as a check we closed the valve fill the holding tank again with water and within a few hours the tank was empty. Lesson learned take care when/if using this stuff We used 1 part chem 6 parts water.
        >
        > Richard SM209
        >
        > Sent by Richard Piller
        >
        > On May 26, 2010, at 17:09, john martin <symoondog@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I believe I have found a good solution for the unenviable task of cleaning and deordorizing toilets on board. The product is “SewClean” meaning sewer clean â€" see WWW.TRAC-ONLINE.COM. It is non-toxic and biodegradable. It acts the same as muriatic acid as it removes scale and calcium from the pipes, hoses and parts in your toilet.
        > >
        > > A one gallon jug of SewClean cost me about US$80 (bought in St Lucia) but you dilute it 5:1 so you end up with 6 gallons of product for treating the toilets. (Since I’m not in the states right now, I don’t know about cost or availability there) First I mixed up a one gallon batch. On the toilet, I pushed the right hand switch (pump only) to empty the toilet system and holding tank of any fluid. Then I shut off the holding tank and taped the vent on deck to make it airtight (per the directions). I then put the 1 gallon batch into the toilet and using pump-only, I pumped it all in, being careful to leave a little of the mix in the bottom of the toilet. Aft er 24 hours, I got in the dinghy and observed at the holding tank drain hole while my wife opened the valve to empty the holding tank. I was astounded by the volume of particles and crud that came out. The product had turned dark reddish-brown, probably a chemical reaction. Next my wife flushed the toilet with sea water several times and a great deal more crud and pieces of beige colored scale were flushed out. Now that we’re done, the toilet flushes well and smells great. For US$15 a treatment, it sure beats spending a miserable day dissassembling and cleaning an entire toilet system.
        > >
        > > The same company also makes “Barnacle Buster,” a product that removes calcium deposits from the sea water cooling system in your engine and heat exhanger without the need for disaasembling any systems. I haven’t tried this yet but will send in a report after I do.
        > >
        > > I also found a similar product for the toilet called Maritime Express “The Ultimate Descaler.” It’s sold by WWW.SEAFARING.COM in California. It’s only US$30 per gallon from them and I don’t know what dealers might carry it in the US or elsewhere.
        > >
        > > John Martin
        > > MOON DOG
        > > SM #248

      • Richard03801
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
          Thanks for your work on this. I can't explain why but it took out the seal in the through valve. We are waiting for a replacement should be here next week.
          Smooth sailing.
          Regards
          Richard Piller