Anti foul

  • Conn Williamson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      We haven't had our Mango for long and I am slipping it soon. Just wondering about how much antifoul paint I might need.

    • richard03801@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        We generally use 5 gal Pettit Trinadad SR on our SM.
        Richard SM209
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
          Thanks Richard, do you apply 1 or 2 coates.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
            We us two coats after sanding with rough grit paper. Given you have a Mango be shore to check for blisters. If you have them take care before you paint. Paint does not hold well to blistered areas.
            By the way we generally get 2 years out of Trinadad SR.
            Good luck. Richard SM209
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
              Thanks again Richard. Our old boat was a 30 footer so I diddn't know how much to order for the larger size. 5 gallons here  costs over 1000 bucks so I diddn't want to over order. I don't know if I can get Trinadad in OZ. Iwas going to use Altex V.

              ________________________________

              Thanks Richard, do you apply 1 or 2 coates.

              ________________________________
              We generally use 5 gal Pettit Trinadad SR on our SM.
              Richard SM209
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              We haven't had our Mango for long and I am slipping it soon. Just wondering about how much antifoul paint I might need.

            • Richard Piller
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2010
                Conn, you are not alone on the price issues, we have seen bottom paint from US$400 down to 225 for the same can of paint.. Be advised and look around..... We don't see Altex X here in the US or Caribb.
                Enjoy the boat... Richard on SM 209

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2010
                  Yes Richard I googled up Trinadad and found the price in the US was Xy as well. I also found a site here from the government pesticides & vetinary authority recalling all Trinadad antifoul, it diddn't say why, but I have a fair idea. We pay around 200-250 per 4liters for anti foul paint. Altex 5 is a New Zealand product.