Transmission dipstick

  • sailw32
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25 6:38 PM
      My transmission dipstick has only one mark, an indented ring approx. an inch from the end,does this mark represent full? I ask because it is so low on the stick and I would expect a low and full mark.I assume it is the full mark but thought I had better varify my assumption.
      Thanks,
      Pat SM123,
    • kimberlite
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25 6:46 PM
        What engine /transmission do you have?

        Eric

        Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 25 8:48 PM
          Yes. That line, very near the lower end of the dip stick is "full". Excess fluid will blow out the vent and may cause problems if over-filled. By the way, on Hurth and perhaps other transmissions the reading is taken when the stick collar rests on top of the case, NOT when it is screwed all the way in. Look in your manual or look online for your transmission model to see its capacity...usually these do not take much fluid. Also, even when the fluid is dark and needs to be changed it looks quite light, almost invisible on the stick. Most of these transmissions "splash" the fluid. This is why the engine does not need to be started periodically when the prop is driving the shaft alternator.

          Bob
          Brittany de la Mer

        • sailw32@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 26 4:17 AM
            Eric, My engine is a 1994 tmd22a, I am not sure of the manufacturer of the
            transmission.

            Thanks, Pat

          • richard03801@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26 4:39 AM
              Pat, yours is the same as mine TMD22 setup according to the manual the mark near the bottom is it.
              Richard SM 209
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 26 4:56 AM
                Richard, A previous post to my question said that on some transmissions you
                do not screw the dipstick down to take a measure. Does that apply to our
                trans. and what type or weight of fluid?My previous boat used motor oil but
                this appears to be a trans. fluid.
                Thanks, Pat

              • richard03801@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 26 8:28 AM
                  Pat we use AFT in the Amel transmission. DO NOT use motor oil. When checking ATF level the level is a noted in the earlier posting un-screwed.
                  By the way it is a good idea to change the AFT at least once a year and pay attention to the color and any "dust"
                  Regards
                  Richard SM 209
                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T