polar diagram, maxsea

  • Hans-Joachim
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 29, 2010
      hello friends,
      does anybody have the polar diagram of the super maramu 2000 ?
      thanks for your help.
      Hans, Amel Super Maramu #436 Johanna-Amalthea GER
    • svbebe
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 29, 2010
        Yes, several months ago I uploaded Amel SM2.pol to the Files section of this website. I created this file to be used with Maxsea. I created it from actual performance and some estimates with SM2 #387 and believe it is fairly accurate.

        Best,

        Bill
        s/v BeBe, SM2, #387
        Currently Malaysia

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Hans-Joachim" <Dr.Hofschulte@...> wrote:

        > hello friends,
        > does anybody have the polar diagram of the super maramu 2000 ?
        > thanks for your help.
        > Hans, Amel Super Maramu #436 Johanna-Amalthea GER

      • Jose
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 31, 2010
          I have just uploaded a Polar Chart I made based on Bill's file. It may help some of us without MaxSea.
          The scale is not exact but is close enough

          Jose
          Ipanema SM2K, #278

          --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

          > Yes, several months ago I uploaded Amel SM2.pol to the Files section of this website. I created this file to be used with Maxsea. I created it from actual performance and some estimates with SM2 #387 and believe it is fairly accurate.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Bill
          > s/v BeBe, SM2, #387
          > Currently Malaysia
          >
          > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Hans-Joachim" <Dr.Hofschulte@> wrote:
          > >
          > > hello friends,
          > > does anybody have the polar diagram of the super maramu 2000 ?
          > > thanks for your help.
          > > Hans, Amel Super Maramu #436 Johanna-Amalthea GER

        • pmisurek
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 5, 2014

            Hi,

            Do either of you still haave these referenced polar files?  I would like to play around with the routing features of qtVlm.

            Thanks,

            Peter

          • pmisurek
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 5, 2014

              Hi Bill-

              Do you still have the referenced polar file?  I am playing around with the routing functions of QtVlm and would like to plug in some real world data.

              Thanks,

              Peter

            • alan_leslie_elyes_sm2k
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 6, 2014
                I uploaded the polar file info to the facebook page some months ago...

                If you can't find it...email me s.v.elyse at hotmail dot com and I'll send it to you...

                Cheers
                Alan
                SV Elyse SM437

              • alan_leslie_elyes_sm2k
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 6, 2014
                  Due to rising interest.....I've just uploaded the SM polar files to a file folder "Polars"
                  The .xmlb files are specifically for Maxsea Time Zero.
                  All files contain the same information in different formats...except for Sail Set which is a TZ Routing tool file.

                  Cheers
                  Alan
                  SV Elyse
                  SM437
                  Savusavu, Fiji
                • bozo_cinq
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 7, 2014
                    I cannot download these polar files to my computer. I have TZT Furuno. How do I obtain these files?

                    Gary
                    bozocinq@...
                    AMEL 54 #44
                  • Jacques Paulus
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 7, 2014

                      If you are interested, you can find the polars of the majority of the amel boats, on the French forum of amel owners, at the following address: http://www.forum-voiliers-amel.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1003

                      They have been developed for the SailGrib WR software (and intergrated in the defaults values of that software). Feel free to have a look, at the polars and at the software. It works perfectly. Maybe a bit optimistic on the boat velocity. It must be downgraded via the software’s parameters, to reflect better the capabilities of your vessel.

                      Best wind to all of you.

                      Jacques Paulus

                      Jacques et Annick Paulus

                      rue de Saint-Ghislain 15 B207                              Bateau Paranos

                      1348 Louvain-la-Neuve                                          Capitainerie de Saint-Mandrier
                      Mobile Jacques: +32 495 20 10 54                      2, quai Séverine

                      Mobile Annick: +32 498 52 78 31                        83430 Saint-Mandrier

                      Mobile France: +33 6 27 86 66 14                       France

                      Skype: jacquespaulus

                      Mail: jacquespaulus@...

                                 jacquesetannick.paulus@...

                      Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la protection Antivirus avast! est active.

                    • alan_leslie_elyes_sm2k
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 7, 2014
                        I looked at the polar for the SM2000 and it seems to me to be wildly optimistic....where do these numbers come from ?
                        Starting at a TWA of 32 degrees !!...
                        My SM2000 won't sail anywhere near that close to the wind
                        I would treat these files with a lot of caution.

                        Cheers
                        Aln
                        SV Elyse SM2K 437
                        Savusavu, Fiji
                      • Jacques Paulus
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 8, 2014

                          The figures of the polars you can find in the French Amel owners forum have been calculated trough a mathematical model of which you can find the .xls files at the same address.

                          I’m not the developer of that model but I think it had originally been developed for boats participating at round the world races. So, no surprise that they are optimistic but…

                          1.       I don’t know anybody having calculated the polars for all the models designed by Amel, except the last ones. Anyhow, if somebody does it, he would use a mathematical model and, by definition, obtain performances which would be theoretical and somehow not reflecting the reality.

                          2.       Due to the fact that we have access to the .xls files, it is possible to modify those files to make them more realistic.

                          3.       SailGrib WR, the software for which those polars have been developed, can be parametrized to downgrade the results of the polars to make them better fit with your boat, your way of sailing, your security options etc…So, it is usable, with acceptable previsions of routes.

                          4.       The polars you have access to have been developed for a routing software. With the possibilities of parametrisation, that software give you probabilistic results which need to be looked at with a critical eye, but give excellent analysis of the best choices to make like go/no go analysis, directions to take in order to follow the wind directions changes, estimated time to go or best start hour. With your experience of your boat and experimenting your routing software, you can modify the software parameters and/or the .xls tables of the polars which will become the polars of yours boat.

                          5.       Finally, SailGrib WR is free or very cheap. The polars are free and open (you can modify them). So I took them as an opportunity and I use the parameters of the software to downgrade the results.

                          On the other hand, the best polars give the best routing results. So, If somebody has better polars, feel free to distribute.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 8, 2014
                            Sorry I don't understand that
                            Surely if you publish a polar for a production yacht it should be based on the actual performance of that yacht or at worst from a VPP calculation for that specific boat, not based on round the world races ...how many Amels have done that ?..I would bet, none !
                            To say that the polars can then be downgraded to suit your boat is at the same level as ...measure your boat speed at different angles and wind speeds and make your own polars....so what's the point of all these polars on the French site if they don't reflect reality ?..they are of no use

                            I have a polar based on real world experience for the SM2000 that seems to work for me.
                            I use it in Maxsea TZ routing and it produces pretty consistent results.
                            If I used the polar that is on the French site, it wouldn't help me very much at all !

                            Happy sailing
                            Alan'
                            SV Elyse SM 437
                            Savusavu, Fiji
                          • Jacques Paulus

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 8, 2014

                                  The new Raymarine Lighthouse 10.41 upgrade should work. You should be able to pair up your ipad with the MFD and download your route without emailing. Did not use or know Weather4Dpro. It is all still a miracle to me and believe in the PHS (push here stupid)  method.

                                  Ric

                                  Bali Hai SN24 Annapolis

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 8, 2014
                                    Of course I don't have them for any boat other than mine....that I have already posted
                                    My point was what is the point of publishing polars if they don't reflect reality ?

                                    Bon vent
                                    Alan
                                    SV Elyse SM437
                                    Savusavu, Fiji
                                  • Jacques Paulus
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 8, 2014

                                      Thanks for all your comments. I understand perfectly that a wrong polars file is useless.

                                      The polars calculated by SailGrib are based on VPP calculations (you will have more infos on their website) but I agree on the fact that the results are much too optimistic.

                                      What I understand from their explanation is that the resulting polars gives the maximum speed for a boat with the measures of the concerned boat (LOA,LWL, Sail surface, weight…etc…). Afterwards, you can downgrade them by parameters permitting to take account of the actual performances of your boat, but also of your way of sailing (see explanations on the website of SailGrib). The result will never reflect perfectly the performances of your boat but it can be quite near.

                                      Nevertheless, as it does not exist any polars based on actual performances of “old” boats like my Santorin, the polars of SailGrib are the best solution I found up to now. If you know better solutions please feel free to share with us.

                                      I used their software and polars to plan trips from 100 to 200 Nm. It requested some “fine tuning” through the parameters of the software but I’m satisfied by the results.

                                      Of course, I would be very happy to find polars based on actual performances of the boat. But, up to now, I didn’t found them.

                                      The best thing I could do is analyzing the performances of my boat by noting them during 1 year. Afterwards, I could probably create my own polars. That would be fine but it’s a hard (and long) work.

                                      What I obtain as results from SailGrib and their polars, after corrections via the parameters is the best I can do today.

                                      Sorry for being a bit long and my apologies for my “approximative” English and the errors of interpretation it can generate.

                                      Best regards

                                      Jacques Paulus

                                      Jacques et Annick Paulus

                                      rue de Saint-Ghislain 15 B207                              Bateau Paranos

                                      1348 Louvain-la-Neuve                                          Capitainerie de Saint-Mandrier
                                      Mobile Jacques: +32 495 20 10 54                      2, quai Séverine

                                      Mobile Annick: +32 498 52 78 31                        83430 Saint-Mandrier

                                      Mobile France: +33 6 27 86 66 14                       France

                                      Skype: jacquespaulus

                                      Mail: jacquespaulus@...

                                                 jacquesetannick.paulus@...

                                      Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la protection Antivirus avast! est active.

                                    • Anne and John Hollamby
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 9, 2014
                                        Hello Alan,
                                        We hope you are enjoying Fiji, we certainly did during the late nineties when we used to spend a lot of time in Viani Bay just east of you.
                                        In the seventies and early eighties  I was crewing on top class ocean racers and towards the end of that time the yacht designer would provide a large chart covered in numbers being the design calculated speed for numerous wind speeds and direction and the instructions were to get it out when we felt that we getting the best speed possible fpr the wind conditions and correct the number that had been calculated by computer. The chart was returned to the designer frequently so that he could correct the theoretical figures. Presumably this was the predecessor of the polar chart which appears to be much simpler than those horrible charts but is still in need of correction in exactly the same way.

                                                         Best wishes, Anne and John,  Bali Hai,  SM319  for sale in Malta

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 9, 2014
                                            As a sailmaker and former racer turned cruiser, I fully understand the value of a polar diagram. On race boats, we'd consult the polars to insure that with a given sail combination and conditions, that we weren't missing something in the complex equation of sail trim, fairlead position, rig tension, mast butt position, hydraulic gauge readings for the vang and backstay, etc. If we didn't see something obviously wrong and we were off speed, then it was time to check to see if we fouled something on the keel and perhaps were dragging a piece of kelp.

                                            What I'm wondering about is the fascination with polars for a big cruising boat like an Amel. Keep in mind that polars are only valid between closely matched boats. In a closely controlled one design fleet, a set of polars will be valid on multiple boats. But throw in any amount of variation in the form of a different prop, less than perfect condition of the bottom, sails that aren't new or are of a different design, fuel quantity, fresh water quantity, and weight of stores and it's just a theoretical exercise.

                                            When I'm in cruising mode, my first priorities are safety and crew comfort. When I'm looking at performance, I'm really focused on Vmg. (Velocity made good). I know that we're not going to be operating at 100% of potential because I have an AP driving, my headsail is designed for a wide range of conditions, unlike a purpose built racing sail, and I don't want to sail with the same intensity as I would racing.

                                            If I want to use passage planning software, the right answer for me isn't a set of polars. It's data collected from previous passages. If I stepped on a Super Maramu today, could I assume my performance would be identical to my friends on other SM's? I suppose I could use polars as a starting point if I was on an unfamiliar boat and needed to set up iNavX. But once I had some experience with the boat, I know I'd be making some adjustments for real world conditions.

                                            Ergo my question, why the fascination with a set of polars for these boats?
                                          • Jacques Paulus
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 9, 2014

                                              Many thanks for your comments Dave,

                                              The reason why I want to use polars on a cruising boat like an Amel is just the one you mentioned: Security and comfort.

                                              When I use a routing software, for which I need to use polars, my objective is to answer those questions:

                                              -          Am I able to make the crossing I planned without encountering winds higher than 30 knots and without struggling against winds closer than 40° degrees TWA ? If not, do I go or not ?

                                              -          How many time will it take, given the grib files I received ?

                                              -          Should I start that day or day +1 ?

                                              -          What is the best route to avoid difficult conditions ?

                                              Those questions are easily answered by a routing software and give you valuable information to help you plan your trip. We are not looking for 100% reliability but for pieces of information to help you to take the best decision as possible.

                                              Routing software help you to increase your security and comfort while cruising.

                                              Now, it is not ridiculous, on a cruising boat to look if you’re well trimmed and if you cannot do something to increase your velocity. Personally, I started using VMG figures to make choices in order to reach the destination port before the bad weather arrive and this include the decision to start the motor, eventually with the sails.

                                              It’s a bit like with cars. Technologies developed for racing can be used by cruisers to increase security and comfort.

                                              Fair winds

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 9, 2014
                                                Jacques,

                                                I understand the goals and have made use of software for identical reasons. I just feel that we're better off using some real world data from our own boat or even informed estimates. I can deliver a boat that I've never been on and make some reasonable assumptions that prove fairly accurate.

                                                Cheers,
                                                Dave

                                              • Jacques Paulus
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 10, 2014

                                                  You’re right Dave,

                                                  I’m now 63 and I’ve learned sailing without computer, without GPS, without radar, without AIS etc…So, today I continue to sail with a long experience behind me, but…I appreciate all those new technologies to help me in taking the right decision. It also help me to take decisions that I would have difficulties to take without the information those new technologies can give.

                                                  At the end, it just help me to increase the security and comfort of my trips. It reduce the risk. Today, my wife has multiple health problems and do not have the strength to fight, even inside the boat, against difficult conditions (the last one was 52 knots during 24 H). So, I appreciate all those technologies to avoid to put her in real difficulties.

                                                  Today, I can avoid them with more accuracy and I appreciate. Without those technologies, I’m afraid the alternative would be, today or tomorrow, to stay on earth.

                                                  Fair winds to you.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 10, 2014
                                                    Look into "secants". Hard to find in any cruising books. It is a method to sail the fastest speed in the least distance given the parameters of the
                                                    Boat. Simple example is a multihull that sails much faster off the wind than downwind. Covers more ground, but the vmg is better.
                                                    Frances Howorth of Super Yacht News in the UK and holds an Ocean Masters License told me "nothing goes to windward better than a 747"
                                                    Many sensible people (often wives) "meet" the boat when conditions suggest it or take extra crew for safety.
                                                    Ric
                                                    Bali Hai SN 24

                                                    Ric Gottschalk
                                                    Kitchen Magic Refacers, Inc
                                                    Office 410-923-5800
                                                    Fax 410-923-5802

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 12, 2014
                                                      I made a .pol file, (SM_Polar.pol) and added it to the SM Polars folder in the FILES section of the Amel Yacht Owners Group
                                                      (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files).
                                                      I have used it successfully with Maxsea.
                                                      It is based on my memory of actual performance. It is conservative and NOT Theoretical. It does include using the best sail configuration from any/all of the 5 sails.
                                                      I did it to use the weather/grib/performance routing feature in Maxsea for ocean crossings. I did not necessarily follow the route, but by creating these routes based on my POL file and grib files, I was able to see route options that I had not previously seen.
                                                      The following table is the basis for the polar
                                                      TWA 6 8 10 12 15 20
                                                      55 3.0 4.0 5.2 6.0 7.0 7.7
                                                      65 4.0 5.0 5.7 6.2 7.5 8.2
                                                      75 4.0 5.0 6.2 6.6 8.0 8.5
                                                      90 4.0 6.0 6.5 6.7 8.4 8.7
                                                      110 4.0 5.0 6.4 6.5 8.4 8.8
                                                      120 4.0 5.0 6.0 6.2 8.2 8.7
                                                      135 3.0 4.0 5.1 5.3 7.6 8.2
                                                      150 3.0 4.0 4.2 4.4 6.3 7.2
                                                      165 4.0 4.0 4.2 4.4 6.3 7.2
                                                      180 4.0 5.0 5.1 5.2 7.0 8.2
                                                      Bill
                                                      BeBe 387
                                                    • svbebe
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 18, 2014
                                                        Peter,The polar I did is in the files section in the same folder as the other Polars.Bill BeBe 387