Lofrans Tigres Windlass Gypsy_Chain Compatibility Question

  • drew_gaffney
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2010
      Our gypsy is worn and needs to be replaced. Our chain, OEM from Amel on SM390, measures exactly 10mm by calipers. In looking at the Lofrans parts catalog, there are a number of choices: 3/8" DIN 766, Ø 10-3/8"HT/P30 and 3/8HT s/8PC, corresponding to Part # 276f, 276e, or 276h, respectively. There are actually 7 choices, but these seem to be closest to 10mm/3/8". Does anyone know which chain Amel was placing in their 2003 SM's?
      Thanks,
      Drew
      Revelation SM390
      Lying Opua NZ
    • drew_gaffney
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2010
        Can anyone tell me the part number for the Tigres chain gypsy? Ours is worn and the chain jumps off occasionally.
        Thanks,
        Drew Gaffney
        SM390 Revelation
      • hollambyuk
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2010
          Hello Drew, The gypsy on mine is also worn and I have ordered a new one from the Maltese Agent. The old one has these numbers on it;- 0.10 ,P30 and 3/8HT. I might add that I severely damaged the layshaft and the keyway grooves on the gypsy about three years ago because I had failed to keep the clutches well greased. This resulted in the chain running out at high speed uncontrollably until the clutch seized up and stopped turning thus doing the damage by trying to stop the chain instantly which it could not do thus jumping violently.
          Luckily we were in Croatia and a local engineer managed to open the housing after using various heating methods until he finally used oxyacetaline so that he could remove the layshaft and gypsy to cut new keyways and make new keys. It was a brilliant job and we were lucky to find him with the aid of the local charter boat manager.

          I hope this helps,best wishes, Anne and John, SM319

          --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "drew_gaffney" <drew.gaffney@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me the part number for the Tigres chain gypsy? Ours is worn and the chain jumps off occasionally.
          > Thanks,
          > Drew Gaffney
          > SM390 Revelation

        • rossirossix4
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2010
            Hi,
            The IMTRA site has very good pdf documents including a Chain Wheel chart http://www.imtra.com/product/anchoring_systems/lofrans/lofrans_horizontal_electric_winches/tigres/lw400an_1200_1.htm There is also a good parts list and owners manual. These are worth saving to your laptop. There also also some good postings in their Knowledge Base. The link is for the 24v but they also have page for the 12v.

            Bob
            Brittany de la Mer

            --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "hollambyuk" <annejohnholl@...> wrote:

            > Hello Drew, The gypsy on mine is also worn and I have ordered a new one from the Maltese Agent. The old one has these numbers on it;- 0.10 ,P30 and 3/8HT. I might add that I severely damaged the layshaft and the keyway grooves on the gypsy about three years ago because I had failed to keep the clutches well greased. This resulted in the chain running out at high speed uncontrollably until the clutch seized up and stopped turning thus doing the damage by trying to stop the chain instantly which it could not do thus jumping violently.
            > Luckily we were in Croatia and a local engineer managed to open the housing after using various heating methods until he finally used oxyacetaline so that he could remove the layshaft and gypsy to cut new keyways and make new keys. It was a brilliant job and we were lucky to find him with the aid of the local charter boat manager.
            >
            > I hope this helps,best wishes, Anne and John, SM319
            >
            > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "drew_gaffney" <drew.gaffney@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can anyone tell me the part number for the Tigres chain gypsy? Ours is worn and the chain jumps off occasionally.
            > > Thanks,
            > > Drew Gaffney
            > > SM390 Revelation

          • kimberlite
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2010
              Drew,

              If you are in the Caribbean the part is stocked by budget marine, they have
              an incredible number of parts for Amels.

              Fair Winds

              Eric

              Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

              _____