[Amel Yacht Owners] Power lead for SSB

  • Anne and John Hollamby
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
      Message text written by INTERNET:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
      ><

      Dear Vito,
      The amswer is to fit an isolated 24/12 volt converter made by an English
      company called Alphatronix. The cost is about 150 pds stlg. It is approved
      for usein everything from petrol tankers downwards. If you want to waste
      money get the one made by Icom at about three or five times as much !!! I
      do not have the Email address for Alphatronix to hand as I am not on the
      boat but I am sure I gave all the details to this group six or nine months
      ago so look back through the archive. One must wonder about the guy who
      told you to run a SSB off the starter battery. Are you sure he is competent
      to make the installation....when he has ask him to demonstrate it by
      calling up a ham operator at least a thousand miles away. After I installed
      mine I had a technician do this and he spoke with an amateur radio operator
      in Poland with no problem 5 by 5 from my boat in a marina in Malta.
      Fortunately the ground plate by Amel is excellent.
      I have the davits from La Rochelle where they were fitted by the makers.
      There are a number of points. The fixing to the transom is OK on the port
      side as they fitted a S/S strut to take the load. The starboard side should
      have been reinforced with a hardwood pad resined on to the inside of the
      transom. The lifting arrangement as supplied is totally inadequate to lift
      a dinghy even though my RIB is aluminium and weighs only 37 kilos on its
      own. What is needed is a set of small triple sheave blocks to pull the
      davits up and a similar set to lift the dinghy to the davits. This set will
      need small plates welded on to the davits to take jam cleats for the
      lifting tackle. The hinge bolts for the davits are not a close fit in the
      fittings thus allowing movement. With any davits the dinghy needs to be
      securely lashed to avoid any movement for short days sails but for longer
      trips the dinghy will still have to be lifted on to the deck. If you need
      to lift the davits/dinghy/outboard etc overnight to avoid theft the
      solution is to use the mizzen staysail halyard tied on to the outboard end
      of the davit next to the outboard end of the dinghy. Incidentally my dinghy
      is a 3.1mtr made in New Zealand where it retails for about 1100pds stlg. It
      is absolutely first class and will eventually get up on the plane with its
      15 hp motor with three heavy adults and a full fuel tank even in mildly
      choppy waters, a load of over 300 kilos. I stow it inverted fully inflated
      on the aft cabin top for short passages and in the same place deflated for
      long passages. It is not made of Hypalon but mine has spent two years in
      the Med and still looks as new. The make is Southern Pacific and they are
      ,I think, Now being imported to the UK by a company in Wales although I
      suspect it would be cheaper to buy one direct from NZ and haveit sent by
      ship or air cargo. Even with those costs and import duties which might not
      be payable for a yacht in transit. Incidentally 3.1 mtrs is the maximum
      size that fits on the aft cabintop. If anyone is interested I have all the
      contact info on my boat down in the marina. I suppose that Joel Potter
      could make a nice deal if he were to take up an import agency for them !!

      Best wishes from John SM319 Bali Hai
    • petervweston
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Anne and John Hollamby
        <hollamby@c...> wrote:
        > Message text written by INTERNET:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
        > ><
        >
        > Dear Vito,
        > The amswer is to fit an isolated 24/12 volt converter made by an English
        > company called Alphatronix. The cost is about 150 pds stlg. It is
        approved
        > for usein everything from petrol tankers downwards. If you want to waste
        > money get the one made by Icom at about three or five times as much
        !!! I
        > do not have the Email address for Alphatronix to hand as I am not on the
        > boat

        The URL for Alphatronix is http://www.alfatronix.co.uk/index.htm

        I hope that this helps

        Peter
      • Ian Shepherd
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2003
          Hello Peter,

          thanks for the info on the Alphatronix DC/DC converter. You are right about the price of the Icom P66, at least in the UK. However, I should point out that the Icom when purchased from Stephane Genitou at Pochon La Rochelle is just 308 Euro's, which is not bad.

          One quick question. Do you suffer from any RF interference from the Alphatronix unit? I take it also that it is a 30 amp unit that you quoted for? Most importantly, is the input and output completely isolated from each other at DC? Crucial from the point of view of electrolysis. I had a 60 amp Far East unit on Crusader that cost around 80 Pounds, which worked well, though the input's and outputs were not isolated, though I found a workaround.

          I need a new converter for my new boat in July, so would appreciate your comments.

          Best Wishes

          Ian Shepherd

          SM2000 299 "Crusader"

        • asm283
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2003
            Thank you for you advise. I will definatly use a power converter for
            the SSB. I think I will buy the davits from France. I have looked for
            quite a while and the system made in La Rochelle seems to be the
            best, if not perfect solution. And they dont look too bad.

            Vito Ciaravino

            <hollamby@c...> wrote:
> [...]
            > long passages. It is not made of Hypalon but mine has spent two
            years in
            > the Med and still looks as new. The make is Southern Pacific and
            they are
            > ,I think, Now being imported to the UK by a company in Wales
            although I
            > suspect it would be cheaper to buy one direct from NZ and haveit
            sent by
            > ship or air cargo. Even with those costs and import duties which
            might not
            > be payable for a yacht in transit. Incidentally 3.1 mtrs is the
            maximum
            > size that fits on the aft cabintop. If anyone is interested I have
            all the
            > contact info on my boat down in the marina. I suppose that Joel
            Potter
            > could make a nice deal if he were to take up an import agency for

            Bali Hai