Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster stuck

  • svbebe
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
      All,

      I just added photos of the Bow Thruster "stuck" problem to the Photos
      section titled "BOW THRUSTER SERVICE"

      You should be able to see them by following this link:

      Bill
      s/v BeBe SM2 #387
      Auckland, NZ - soon to be continuing for a full circle back to the
      Caribbean

      > What did work was the "drop thing" that Amel suggested. I disconnected
      > the end points of both the up & the down cables. I went outside to the
      > bow thruster and lifted it and pulled it down hard about 10 times when
      > it broke free. I should state that this was tried after about 2 hours
      > of everything else tried or suggested in this thread and possibly my
      > success was the sum of everything.
      >
      > Bill
      > s/v BeBe SM2 #387
      > Auckland, NZ - soon to be continuing for a full circle back to the
      > Caribbean

    • amelliahona
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
        Bill:

        I notice from your photo that there is significant corrosion on the bottom of
        the motor and the spline shaft (similar to that found on mine, see the photo
        I posted).

        Any thoughts about why there is so much corrosion in this area? There wouldn't
        seem to be any sea water exposure here, or am I wrong?

        Gary s/v Liahona Hull # 335

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > I just added photos of the Bow Thruster "stuck" problem to the Photos
        > section titled "BOW THRUSTER SERVICE"
        >
        > You should be able to see them by following this link:
        >
        > Bill
        > s/v BeBe SM2 #387
        > Auckland, NZ - soon to be continuing for a full circle back to the
        > Caribbean
      • Malcolm Phillips
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
          Hi Gary,

          Having recently overhauled my bowthruster following damage to the
          lip seal from a nylon fishing line, my conclusion was that the
          oil escaped through the damaged seal and sea water entered the
          gearbox. If the boat is moving at any speed with the
          bowthruster down, I believe that sea water could be forced up
          the inside of the grp tube thus corroding the splined connection
          to the motor.

          For your information, the 3 ball races are ;- ( 2 off SKF
          6006-2RS/ HRA and 1 off SKF 6006/HRA ) , the 2 on the
          horizontal propshaft are sealed for life and the top one on
          the vertical drive shaft is open to allow the oil through
          when filling the gearbox. They cost around 25 Dollars each.

          Malcolm.

          BON JOVI SM # 464

          ________________________________

          <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...>
          wrote:

          > All,
          >
          > I just added photos of the Bow Thruster "stuck" problem to the Photos
          > section titled "BOW THRUSTER SERVICE"
          >
          > You should be able to see them by following this link:

          c/list
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/photos/album/1587075684/p
          ic/list>

          > Bill
          > s/v BeBe SM2 #387
          > Auckland, NZ - soon to be continuing for a full circle back to the
          > Caribbean

        • Malcolm Phillips
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
            Gary,

            Cost of SKF bearings are 10 dollars each, not 25.

            Malcolm

            Bon Jovi of Clyde

            S/M # 464

            ________________________________

            wrote:

            > All,
            >
            > I just added photos of the Bow Thruster "stuck" problem to the Photos
            > section titled "BOW THRUSTER SERVICE"
            >
            > You should be able to see them by following this link:

            c/list
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/photos/album/1587075684/p
            ic/list>

            > Bill
            > s/v BeBe SM2 #387
            > Auckland, NZ - soon to be continuing for a full circle back to the
            > Caribbean

          • svbebe
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
              Gary,

              I know that some spray/water can get past the seal and the foam rings in
              heavy seas with the bow thruster retracted. Also, when operating the
              bow thruster I have seen the inside foam ring get wet. I assume that
              lowering the bow thruster against a "wet sponge" is the major cause of
              this problem. It had been almost three years (rather than 2) since I
              removed and serviced the bow thruster. I do not think I will allow it
              to go that long again.

              --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...>