RE: [Amel] New Set of Sails

  • kimberlite
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 31, 2008
      Here is a video of the coast guard rescue of some of the crew of Free fall.
      We heard the helicopters and c130 asking to keep an eye out for men in the
      water. You can see 2 in he water and the life raft being blown all over.
      One died. 4 boats abandoned.

      It was the same hurricane we were in except we were further to sea with MUCH
      larger seas and stronger winds.

      We have adjustable loops added to the bridle of the drogue to change the
      angle of the stern of the boat to the seas. The cleats held up to the pull
      of the drogue. To retrieve the drogue you will need a block of wood to keep
      the bridle out of the Chocks. We had to hand tail the drogue into the boat
      using the primary winches. You have to stop once in a while to give the
      winches time to cool off .our thermal cutouts on the winches tripped a few
      times. You must also hand tail most of the drogue as the lines are much
      heavier than the winches were designed for. You also have to go slowly;
      otherwise you will tear up the cones in the chocks or in the winch.

      http://lifefloatingby.blogspot.com/2008/10/coast-guard-rescues-2-mt-pleasant
      .html

      As far as I know we were the only boat that made it through the Hurricane
      force wins-36 hours-from the northeast. Branson in his 90 footer had so
      much damage he pulled into Bermuda. We passed him and flew past the last 2
      storms. The only damage we suffered was that the tabs that hold the rear of
      the doghouse to the cockpit sole tore.

      Considering we had it up in over 80 knots directly into the wind, it as
      impressive that it held together.

      I know we would have not made it with a sea anchor or any other drogue. To
      understand how it rally works you must see it in action. Which I hope you
      never do. I also launched this in my 37 foot tartan in another hurricane
      years ago.

      Unfortunately Mr Jordan Died a few weeks ago. He never patented the drogue
      or as fat as I know ever made a cent from the sales of the drogue.

      Rest in peace my savior.

      Fair Winds,

      Eric

      Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

      _____

      From: kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net>
      e.net>
      To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 6:06 PM

      Hi,

      Offshore and in the Caribbean we use an approximately 10 ounce Doyle sail
      Yankee cut and about 110 percent. If you have light air our Gennaker and 1
      /1/2 oz genoa for light air.

      The heavy weather sail was made specifically to furl to at least 50 percent
      and we have tested it in over 50 knots recently. It is a beautiful sail and
      i strongly recommend that specific Doyle sail. It was measured on board so
      we could furl it and still have good shape when highly furled.

      Over 50 knots steady we went to bare poles and then beyond that we went to
      the Jordan series drogue. If you don't have one of those on board you are
      making a BIG mistake.

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 31, 2008
        I forgot to mention, that the bridle of the drogue rubs on the backstays and
        needs hourly attention to the chafe gear. I will change this arrangement
        soon.

        From: kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net>
        e.net>
        To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com

> [...]

        > > Gulf Coast
        > > after talking to Amel. He said that a 145% genoa was
        > > recommended for
        > > anything up to 30kts of wind, and a smaller headsail
        > ~110%
        > > for steady
        > > winds of 20+.
        > > 145% genoa sounds like a LOT of sail. I was wondering
        > if
        > > those you who
        > > are sailing SuperMaramu' s are using this
        > configuration
        > > and what you
        > > think of it. If you're using something else,
        > what?,
        > > and what are the
        > > conditions your sailing in? I was thinking something
        > more
        > > like 120-
        > > 130% genoa???
        > >
        > > I'm going to need some hand-holding for a while,

      • kimberlite

          From: kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net>
          e.net>
          To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com

> [...]

          > > Gulf Coast
          > > after talking to Amel. He said that a 145% genoa was
          > > recommended for
          > > anything up to 30kts of wind, and a smaller headsail
          > ~110%
          > > for steady
          > > winds of 20+.
          > > 145% genoa sounds like a LOT of sail. I was wondering
          > if
          > > those you who
          > > are sailing SuperMaramu' s are using this
          > configuration
          > > and what you
          > > think of it. If you're using something else,
          > what?,
          > > and what are the
          > > conditions your sailing in? I was thinking something
          > more
          > > like 120-
          > > 130% genoa???
          > >
          > > I'm going to need some hand-holding for a while,

        • Kent Robertson
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 1, 2009
            Couldn't make the video come up, but sounds like a harrowing experience.  Have you ever hove to with a drogue deployed over the side as Larry Pardee recommends?  I'm planning to be safely snug in a harbor north of the hurricane belt during that part of the year, but I know some time I'll get caught in a blow.  Not sure you can really prepare for it, but would like to have a feel for different tactics in an Amel.
            Kent

            From: kimberlite <kimberlite@ optonlin <mailto:kimberlite% 40optonline. net>
            e.net>
            To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>
            yahoogroups. com

> [...]

            > > Gulf Coast
            > > after talking to Amel. He said that a 145% genoa was
            > > recommended for
            > > anything up to 30kts of wind, and a smaller headsail
            > ~110%
            > > for steady
            > > winds of 20+.
            > > 145% genoa sounds like a LOT of sail. I was wondering
            > if
            > > those you who
            > > are sailing SuperMaramu' s are using this
            > configuration
            > > and what you
            > > think of it. If you're using something else,
            > what?,
            > > and what are the
            > > conditions your sailing in? I was thinking something
            > more
            > > like 120-
            > > 130% genoa???
            > >
            > > I'm going to need some hand-holding for a while,

          • Howard Berger
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
              The Pardy's actually recommend using a sea anchor (parachute type such as those made by ParaTech) when hove to, not a drogue. The sea anchor is meant to hold the bow at a fixed angle to the wind and reduce leeway and is deployed from the bow of the boat. A drogue, which is deployed from the stern, is used to reduce boat speed when running in huge seas and rotten conditions.

              To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.comFrom: karkauai@...: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:36:51 -0800Subject: RE: [Amel] New Set of Sails

              Couldn't make the video come up, but sounds like a harrowing experience. Have you ever hove to with a drogue deployed over the side as Larry Pardee recommends? I'm planning to be safely snug in a harbor north of the hurricane belt during that part of the year, but I know some time I'll get caught in a blow. Not sure you can really prepare for it, but would like to have a feel for different tactics in an Amel.Kent --- On Thu, 1/1/09, kimberlite <kimberlite@...> wrote:From: kimberlite <kimberlite@...>Subject: RE: [Amel] New Set of SailsTo: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.comDate: Thursday, January 1, 2009, 12:33 AMHere is a video of the coast guard rescue of some of the crew of Free fall.We heard the helicopters and c130 asking to keep an eye out for men in thewater. You can see 2 in he water and the life raft being blown all over.One died. 4 boats abandoned. It was the same hurricane we were in except we were further to sea with MUCHlarger seas and stronger winds. We have adjustable loops added to the bridle of the drogue to change theangle of the stern of the boat to the seas. The cleats held up to the pullof the drogue. To retrieve the drogue you will need a block of wood to keepthe bridle out of the Chocks. We had to hand tail the drogue into the boatusing the primary winches. You have to stop once in a while to give thewinches time to cool off .our thermal cutouts on the winches tripped a fewtimes. You must also hand tail most of the drogue as the lines are muchheavier than the winches were designed for. You also have to go slowly;otherwise you will tear up the cones in the chocks or in the winch.http://lifefloating by.blogspot. com/2008/ 10/coast- guard-rescues- 2-mt-pleasant.htmlAs far as I know we were the only boat that made it through the Hurricaneforce wins-36 hours-from the northeast. Branson in his 90 footer had somuch damage he pulled into Bermuda. We passed him and flew past the last 2storms. The only damage we suffered was that the tabs that hold the rear ofthe doghouse to the cockpit sole tore.Considering we had it up in over 80 knots directly into the wind, it asimpressive that it held together.I know we would have not made it with a sea anchor or any other drogue. Tounderstand how it rally works you must see it in action. Which I hope younever do. I also launched this in my 37 foot tartan in another hurricaneyears ago.Unfortunately Mr Jordan Died a few weeks ago. He never patented the drogueor as fat as I know ever made a cent from the sales of the drogue.Rest in peace my savior.Fair Winds,EricAmel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite_____ From: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com[mailto:amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Yeager MoonsterSent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:11 PMTo: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. comSubject: RE: [Amel] New Set of SailsI take it you were pleased with the performance of the Jordon series drogue.Could you describe your experience with it? Was it attached to the boatusing the standard stern cleats or do you have special attachment points?How did you retrieve the drogue?Thanks!George Phillips--- On Tue, 12/30/08, kimberlite <kimberlite@ optonlin<mailto:kimberlite% 40optonline. net> e.net> wrote:From: kimberlite <kimberlite@ optonlin <mailto:kimberlite% 40optonline. net>e.net>Subject: RE: [Amel] New Set of SailsTo: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 6:06 PMHi,Offshore and in the Caribbean we use an approximately 10 ounce Doyle sailYankee cut and about 110 percent. If you have light air our Gennaker and 1/1/2 oz genoa for light air.The heavy weather sail was made specifically to furl to at least 50 percentand we have tested it in over 50 knots recently. It is a beautiful sail andi strongly recommend that specific Doyle sail. It was measured on board sowe could furl it and still have good shape when highly furled.Over 50 knots steady we went to bare poles and then beyond that we went tothe Jordan series drogue. If you don't have one of those on board you aremaking a BIG mistake.Fair Winds,EricAmel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite_____ From: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com[mailto:amelyachtow ners@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Richard PillerSent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:37 AMTo: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: [Amel] New Set of SailsKent, use the inner stay that should be tied to the rail of the 48. We useda small high clue head sail several times in heavy weather. In fact we usedit to hove to for several days in our old 48. It works great. You shouldalso find a 3:1 block and tackle with 5/8 line on the boat. That is what isused to attached the inner stay to the deck cleat. Good luck with your new boat..Richard and Joan in Corsica on SM 209--- On Mon, 12/29/08, Kent Robertson <karkauai@yahoo.<mailto:karkauai% 40yahoo.com> com> wrote:> From: Kent Robertson <karkauai@yahoo. <mailto:karkauai% 40yahoo.com> com>> Subject: Re: [Amel] New Set of Sails> To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>yahoogroups. com> Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 10:12 AM> Thanks, Richard/Joan,> I've gone ahead and ordered both headsails (the 145 and> 110) from Banks/Gulfcoast. Hoping to get the boat to> Galveston (by truck from Lake Texoma) in the next week and> have her ready to go in time to sail to S Fla. by mid Jan.> > What kind of storm sail do you use? I know there is a> storm sail of some kind on the boat, but I don't know> yet what kind or what kind of shape it's in. I'm> in NC and the boat's in TX.> > Yipppppeeeee! !!!!!!> Kent> > --- On Mon, 12/29/08, Richard Piller> <richard03801@ <mailto:richard0380 1%40yahoo. com> yahoo.com> wrote:> > > From: Richard Piller <richard03801@ <mailto:richard0380 1%40yahoo. com>yahoo.com>> Subject: Re: [Amel] New Set of Sails> To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>yahoogroups. com> Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 4:51 AM> > > > > > > Hi, you may wish to try Super Sails in Ft. Laurderdale FL> they give Amel owners a deal.. If you do use them get the HD> sails as they'll do better at sea... Also if you are> going to in Carib get the blaster... Good luck and congrats> on your "new" Amel> Richard and Joan on Challenge SM 209> > --- On Fri, 12/19/08, karkauai <karkauai@yahoo. com>> wrote:> > > From: karkauai <karkauai@yahoo. com>> > Subject: [Amel] New Set of Sails> > To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com> > Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 9:42 AM> > Ahoy, Amel Family. New member here, just bought> > 1999SuperMaramu on > > Lake Texoma. Trucking to Galveston this mo. and trying> to> > get her > > ready to go south by mid Jan. She needs a new set of> > sails, and I'd > > like some opinions on what was recommended by Banks> Sails> > Gulf Coast > > after talking to Amel. He said that a 145% genoa was> > recommended for > > anything up to 30kts of wind, and a smaller headsail> ~110%> > for steady > > winds of 20+.> > 145% genoa sounds like a LOT of sail. I was wondering> if> > those you who > > are sailing SuperMaramu' s are using this> configuration> > and what you > > think of it. If you're using something else,> what?,> > and what are the > > conditions your sailing in? I was thinking something> more> > like 120-> > 130% genoa???> > > > I'm going to need some hand-holding for a while,> > you'll probably hear a > > lot from me in the coming months.> > > > thanks in advance for your help.> > Kent Robertson> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • kimberlite
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                try this connection to the helo shots. I don't recall that pardee recomened
                a drogue off the side. I can nort see the sense of that as it would put your
                boat a hull to the waves. I ibelieve he was taking about a sea anchor which
                you launch off the side. as far as ai know Drogues usually go off the
                stern.

                Fw

                eric

                tear up the cones in the chocks or in the winch.

                http://lifefloating
                <http://lifefloatingby.blogspot.com/2008/10/coast-guard-rescues-2-mt-pleasan
                t.html> by.blogspot.com/2008/10/coast-guard-rescues-2-mt-pleasant.html

                .html

                As far as I know we were the only boat that made it through the Hurricane
                force winds-36 hours-from the northeast. Branson in his 90 footer had so

                From: kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net>
                e.net>
                To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com

> [...]

                > > Gulf Coast
                > > after talking to Amel. He said that a 145% genoa was
                > > recommended for
                > > anything up to 30kts of wind, and a smaller headsail
                > ~110%
                > > for steady
                > > winds of 20+.
                > > 145% genoa sounds like a LOT of sail. I was wondering
                > if
                > > those you who
                > > are sailing SuperMaramu' s are using this
                > configuration
                > > and what you
                > > think of it. If you're using something else,
                > what?,
                > > and what are the
                > > conditions your sailing in? I was thinking something
                > more
                > > like 120-
                > > 130% genoa???
                > >
                > > I'm going to need some hand-holding for a while,

              • peter pappas
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 3, 2009
                  For stern rodes I pass the rode inside the back stay; using another line from the opposite cleat I attach it too the rode using a prussix not. It makes an easy and adjustable bridel. Peter Pappas sm369 Nicaragua

                  From: kimberlite <kimberlite@ optonlin <mailto:kimberlite% 40optonline. net>
                  e.net>
                  To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>
                  yahoogroups. com

> [...]

                  > > Gulf Coast
                  > > after talking to Amel. He said that a 145% genoa was
                  > > recommended for
                  > > anything up to 30kts of wind, and a smaller headsail
                  > ~110%
                  > > for steady
                  > > winds of 20+.
                  > > 145% genoa sounds like a LOT of sail. I was wondering
                  > if
                  > > those you who
                  > > are sailing SuperMaramu' s are using this
                  > configuration
                  > > and what you
                  > > think of it. If you're using something else,
                  > what?,
                  > > and what are the
                  > > conditions your sailing in? I was thinking something
                  > more
                  > > like 120-
                  > > 130% genoa???
                  > >
                  > > I'm going to need some hand-holding for a while,

                • kimberlite
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 3, 2009
                    This works on a Jordan drogue?

                    Thanks

                    --- On Wed, 12/31/08, kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin

                    From: kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net>
                    e.net>
                    To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
                    yahoogroups.com

                    From: kimberlite <kimberlite@ optonlin <mailto:kimberlite% 40optonline. net>
                    e.net>
                    To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>
                    yahoogroups. com

> [...]

                    > > Gulf Coast
                    > > after talking to Amel. He said that a 145% genoa was
                    > > recommended for
                    > > anything up to 30kts of wind, and a smaller headsail
                    > ~110%
                    > > for steady
                    > > winds of 20+.
                    > > 145% genoa sounds like a LOT of sail. I was wondering
                    > if
                    > > those you who
                    > > are sailing SuperMaramu' s are using this
                    > configuration
                    > > and what you
                    > > think of it. If you're using something else,
                    > what?,
                    > > and what are the
                    > > conditions your sailing in? I was thinking something
                    > more
                    > > like 120-
                    > > 130% genoa???
                    > >
                    > > I'm going to need some hand-holding for a while,

                  • Richard Piller
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                      Eric, we do it very simply. We lay a 3/4" line tied to both sten cleats it's about 200 feet long and we have 4 ft of 3/8 chain on it to keep it deep. It's worked time after time.
                      regards
                      Richard SM 209 in Corsica

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                        We find the it best and safest to hove to with a a storm jib and short main. We done it in 60 kts and 30 ft+ seas.. you don't have to go forward and the boat rides will on the seas.

                        Going down wind we lay a 200 ft line over the stern using both stern cleats. That is enough to hold her in 35 kts and 20 ft following seas.

                        good luck hope you never need it.
                        Richard on SM 209

> [...]
                        > those you who > > are sailing SuperMaramu' s are
                        > using this> configuration> > and what you > >
                        > think of it. If you're using something else,>
                        > what?,> > and what are the > > conditions your
                        > sailing in? I was thinking something> more> > like
                        > 120-> > 130% genoa???> > > > I'm going
                        > to need some hand-holding for a while,> > you'll
                        > probably hear a > > lot from me in the coming
                        > months.> > > > thanks in advance for your
                        > help.> > Kent Robertson> > > > > >
                        > portions of this message have been removed][Non- text
                        > portions of this message have been removed][Non- text
                        > portions of this message have been removed][Non- text
                        > portions of this message have been removed][Non- text
                        > portions of this message have been removed]

                        > _________ _
                        >
                        > Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass.
                        >
                        > http://windowslive.
                        > com/oneline/ hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_

                      • kimberlite
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                          Richard,

                          How high a wind have you had this in?

                          The Jordan Drogue is art least 350 feet long and starts with 1 ¼ inch
                          bridles.

                          --- On Sat, 1/3/09, kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin
                          <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net> e.net> wrote:

                          > From: kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net>
                          e.net>
                          > Subject: RE: [Amel] Stern Bridel
                          > To: amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com
                          > Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 10:46 PM

                          > This works on a Jordan drogue?
                          >

                          > Thanks
                          >

                          > Fair Winds,
                          >

                          > Eric
                          >

                          > Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite
                          >

                          > _____
                          >

                          > From: amelyachtowners@
                          > yahoogroups. com

                        • Richard Piller
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 8, 2009
                            We were running south from GIB in 35-45 kts with 12-20 ft seas. We also used it between Bermuda Horta in 45+
                            Richard on Challenge SM 209