How to organize the kitchen

  • Annsofie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi
      We bought our SuperMaramu (no 232) in 2006 and since then I have moved
      around all kitchen gear several times and I am still not happy with it.
      Now I have ran out of ideas. So my question is:

      How have you organized your kitchen gear (plates, cups, glases, bowls
      for preparation etc etc) together with pantry things?

      The space for such things that you want to have close to ease up the
      kitchen work isn't exactly spacious.

      Annsofie
      S/Y Lady Annila
      Sweden
    • svbebe
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
        Annsofie,

        What works for me might not be at all to your liking, but I am happy
        to explain what works for us.

        A couple of cups (mugs) are kept on the top narrow shelf on the wall
        to the left of the sink; a couple of frequently used drinking glasses
        are also stored there. Also bottles of cooking oils, cooking wines,
        soy sauce, etc. -- as many as will fit snugly. The very narrow lower
        shelf on the left of the sink contains aspirin, vitamins, and very
        small various items. Spices, the coffee press and a small grater are
        on the 2 narrow shelves to the right of the sink.

        The rest of the cups, saucers, cereal and soup bowls and all plates
        are stored in the top and middle drawer in the cupboard on the right
        side of the settee. Those drawers are amazingly long. I have 3 full
        sets of dishes in those 2 drawers, two sets are service for 4 and one
        set is service for 6. The bottom drawer holds a few medium and large
        serving dishes as well as stacked mixing bowls with lids. I fold a
        few napkins and place to fill empty space to prevent any annoying
        movement sounds. I also fold 2 placemats in half and place on top of
        everything. These are used by the 2 of us daily. Additional
        placemats and napkins are stored in the cabinet at the other end of
        the settee.

        The 2 large drawers beneath the settee hold salad spinner, 2 larger
        collanders (to drain pasta), a very large crab/lobster pot and a large
        pot for cooking pasta, as well as many other large Tupperware items,
        porcelain ramekins of various sizes, nested Pyrex baking pans,
        numerous stainless steel bowls nested into one very large chef's
        stainless bowl, etc. These 2 drawers hold all sorts of large galley
        items. Large, seldom used, cooking utensils and the grill tongs and
        spatulas are also stored in one of those drawers. Also the rolling
        pin and rolled Tupperware pastry sheet and extra acrylic cutting
        sheets (a USA item).

        Plastic beverage containers, extra ice trays, extra non-breakable
        glasses and rolled placemats and folded napkins are stored in in the
        cabinet on the left side of the settee.

        Pots, pans, baking pans of all sorts and cookie sheets are stored in
        the normal lower cabinet to the right of the stove. I really like the
        way this cabinet has such thick layers of foam to prevent annoying
        movement noises. Cutlery drawers obviously contain cutlery.

        The crystal drinking glass storage cabinet to the right of the pots &
        pans cabinet contains those wonderful Amel crystal highball glasses as
        well as a few other items. On the first row in that cabinet I store a
        plastic measuring cup, plus a plastic funnel inside the top of one of
        the highball glasses because these 2 items are used so often. On the
        bottom shelf I invert a couple of larger plastic measuring cups over
        the tops of a couple of the tall glasses. We use acrylic wine glasses
        for everyday use. The 2 large circles in the front of the bottom
        shelf of this cabinet hold 3 wine glasses each. Several kitchen
        towels are folded and placed on top of everything on the bottom shelf.

        The upper cabinet to the left of the stove holds 2 large knife blocks
        on the bottom shelf, plus coffee, tea and cocoa and the sealed mugs
        that we use while underway. The top shelf contains Tupperware
        canisters of flour, sugar, baking mix, corn meal and things of that
        nature. These canisters stack and do not shift underway. Also
        contains Tupperware containers of biscuits or crackers and granola
        bars. Keeping the good knives inside the wooden knife blocks and also
        inside the lined cabinet helps keep them sharp.

        Upper cabinet to the right of the stove holds Tupperware containers of
        breakfast cereal, oats, etc., as well as large containers of most-used
        spices -- all on the top shelf. The bottom shelf contains zillions of
        Ziplock bags of all sizes and empty large Tupperware-type containers
        used for marinating meats and general cooking and storage. Whisks are
        stood on end along one side of the cabinet and held in place by all
        the plastic stuff. Vacuum-sealed various spice mixes and convenience
        mixes are also stored in this bottom area.

        The cabinet pantry beneath the counter stores more spices and
        chocolate baking items, etc. We do not use this area for storage of
        canned products as the cans rust too quickly there.

        The dishwasher is used to store eggs when on long passages, makes it
        easy to turn the cartons when underway; and we don't normally use the
        dishwasher anyway.

        Cutting boards are placed on both sides of the microwave, being
        careful to store them is such a manner that they are easy to remove
        yet do not make annoying movement noises.

        The pressure cooker and the mixer are stored in right-hand upper
        cabinet over settee. All other cabinets above the settee are used for
        food storage, canned and otherwise. When provisioning for extremely
        long period (like 6 months or greater), I also utilize some of the
        upper cabinets on the port side, but normally we use those cabinets
        for small spares storages. The cubby-hole on the port side stores
        cookbooks. The cubby-hole on the starboard side stores the
        vacuum-sealer machine and any opened bags or containers of potato chips.

        My large peppermill and a small box of favorite recipes are stored on
        the narrow shelf above the stove beneath the side port. These are
        covered with a kitchen towel to prevent moisture should rain come
        inside that port.

        One last thing -- behind the dining table seating area on the left
        side near the air-conditioner control is a small hidey-hole storage
        spot. I store a couple of folded tablecloths there. Also store a few
        egg cartons to use when shopping in areas where eggs are not cartoned.

        Probably have forgotten to mention many things, but hope that gives
        you some ideas on how to arrange to your liking.

        Judy
        S/V BeBe
        Amel SM2 #387
        Currently in Tonga

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Annsofie" <kanalmamman@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi
        > We bought our SuperMaramu (no 232) in 2006 and since then I have moved
        > around all kitchen gear several times and I am still not happy with it.
        > Now I have ran out of ideas. So my question is:
        >
        > How have you organized your kitchen gear (plates, cups, glases, bowls
        > for preparation etc etc) together with pantry things?
        >
        > The space for such things that you want to have close to ease up the
        > kitchen work isn't exactly spacious.
        >
        > Annsofie
        > S/Y Lady Annila
        > Sweden

      • Annsofie
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
          Thanks Lynda and Judy, you have given me a lot of new ideas. You have
          really put me in a inspired mode to re-organize again :)

          /Annsofie
          S/Y Lady Annila

          --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...>