Cleansing fresh water tanks

  • John and Anne on Bali Hai
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2008
      Hello Barry, welcome to the site and congrats on getting Fairwinds 111
      which we first met up with in New Cal in 1998 or 9 when it was being
      sailed back to Oz by its owner, a very successful engineer from Perth,
      who has since acquired a 54 and sailed it back.
      If you put my subject heading in the Search box it should take you back
      to some early advice on a very thorough cleaning method or cheat by
      putting Msg Nos 1363 and 4 in the other box.
      I have never been so thorough and we never take on shore water as we
      can make 160 ltrs per hour with the watermaker. After seven years we
      thought there was a musty taste so we put a lot of bleach into a fairly
      full tank and went sailing to slosh it around before emptying it out
      and refilling with desalinated water. I think that the chlorine
      vanishes after about a couple of weeks but anyhow the important thing
      is not to let chlorinated water anywhere near your watermaker as it
      will destroy the membranes PDQ.
      Where are you based, we visit Perth and Sydney around New Year
      sometimes?

      Good luck, Anne and John, SM319
    • seagasm
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2008
        Thankyou for your assistance, I have read the post and will give it
        the shock treatment recommended. John, our SM is Tradewinds III and
        not Fairwinds. We purchased her from Ron and Heather Brown whose berth
        we have the use of for a month while we prepare her. They purchased
        her from WA and may well be the person you speak of. We are currently
        on the Gold Coast down from Brisbane. Thankyou again for your help.

        Regards Barry

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "John and Anne on Bali Hai"

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
          -

          Hello again Barry,
          Mental abberation, I did of course mean to say Trade Winds III.
          Good luck with the bleach. Anne and John SM 319

          -- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "seagasm" <seagasm@...> wrote:

          > Thankyou for your assistance, I have read the post and will give it
          > the shock treatment recommended. John, our SM is Tradewinds III and
          > not Fairwinds. We purchased her from Ron and Heather Brown whose
          berth
          > we have the use of for a month while we prepare her. They purchased
          > her from WA and may well be the person you speak of. We are
          currently
          > on the Gold Coast down from Brisbane. Thankyou again for your help.
          >
          > Regards Barry
          >
          > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "John and Anne on Bali Hai"
          > <annejohn@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Barry, welcome to the site and congrats on getting
          Fairwinds 111
          > > which we first met up with in New Cal in 1998 or 9 when it was
          being
          > > sailed back to Oz by its owner, a very successful engineer from
          Perth,
          > > who has since acquired a 54 and sailed it back.
          > > If you put my subject heading in the Search box it should take
          you back
          > > to some early advice on a very thorough cleaning method or cheat
          by
          > > putting Msg Nos 1363 and 4 in the other box.
          > > I have never been so thorough and we never take on shore water
          as we
          > > can make 160 ltrs per hour with the watermaker. After seven years
          we
          > > thought there was a musty taste so we put a lot of bleach into a
          fairly
          > > full tank and went sailing to slosh it around before emptying it
          out
          > > and refilling with desalinated water. I think that the chlorine
          > > vanishes after about a couple of weeks but anyhow the important
          thing
          > > is not to let chlorinated water anywhere near your watermaker as
          it
          > > will destroy the membranes PDQ.
          > > Where are you based, we visit Perth and Sydney around New Year
          > > sometimes?
          > >
          > > Good luck, Anne and John, SM319

        • joemac4sail
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2008
            Hi Barry just curious, have you had a look in the water tank, Im sure
            there is the same access, in your case under fridge, as there is in
            ours, a Santorin under the sink. I had to re attach the float to the
            dip stick last year and was suprised with what had collected there
            over the years. If its the same sort of tank the internal gelcoat
            wall it may help to give it a wipe down.

            Regards Joe Mc Donnell

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2008
              Hi John, we are still in the marina berth having work done on the
              boat. This being the case, we are unable to flush the tank out since
              it is classed as a marine sanctuary. We are having Tradewinds
              re-rigged and a new soft dodger made, something I can actually stand
              beneath without stooping. I will post pictures once finished.

              Regards, Barry and Robyn
              --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "joemac4sail"