Diesel heat for the boat and reduced RPM'S

  • pheyden2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2002
      Can anyone help me out with suggestion's on diesel heat for my Super
      Maramu? We sail in Northern California's cold waters, and running
      the gen set 24 hrs a day is not an option.
      Have any Amel owners installed any supplementary heat in their boats?

      We have aprox. 1600 hrs on our TMD22 Volvo. At max throttle we can
      attain only 2500 rpms. We installed all new fuel filters, cleaned
      the prop and hull to perfection. Seems like we are also not the only
      ones with reduced rpms. We run Max throttle for 15 to 30 min. every
      5 hrs. We have a clean burn, no smoke what so ever in all rpm ranges.
      Is cleaning the Turbo the first thing to do here? Thank You from
      Peter and Sherry on Liebling.
    • Anne-Sophie Schmitt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2002
        It does seem that cleaning the turbo should be a
        priority. I had my maintenance yard in Maine actual
        tell me that this is standard annual procedure with
        any turbo diesels they service. One other thing can be
        the prop. Any, any at all, growth can prevent complete
        deployment and reduce RPM's significantly. What about
        in reverse or neutral? Same RPM's as forward? This
        could tell you whether it is prop or turbo related. It
        does seem from comments that many owners have had RPM
        issues with this Volvo diesel. Regards, Claude
        Roessiger
        --- pheyden2000 <amel98@...> wrote:
        > Can anyone help me out with suggestion's on diesel
        > heat for my Super
        > Maramu? We sail in Northern California's cold
        > waters, and running
        > the gen set 24 hrs a day is not an option.
        > Have any Amel owners installed any supplementary
        > heat in their boats?
        >
        > We have aprox. 1600 hrs on our TMD22 Volvo. At max
        > throttle we can
        > attain only 2500 rpms. We installed all new fuel
        > filters, cleaned
        > the prop and hull to perfection. Seems like we are
        > also not the only
        > ones with reduced rpms. We run Max throttle for 15
        > to 30 min. every
        > 5 hrs. We have a clean burn, no smoke what so ever
        > in all rpm ranges.
        > Is cleaning the Turbo the first thing to do here?
        > Thank You from
        > Peter and Sherry on Liebling.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • minaxi53
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2002
          I looked into Espar heaters recently, the cost to fit put me off for
          this season, maybe next. They offered 2 systems. 1 for cruising,about
          $5,000. The other for live aboard in cold climate, $ 8000. This puts
          heat everywhere, all cabins, both heads and even one by your feet in
          the cockpit.
          I cruise in New York and NE area, although April and November are
          cold cruising months, they are not $8000 cold enough. I'll live with
          extra sweaters for another year.
          Good Luck
          Bob
          s/v Minaxi