Photos of Outhaul Gear Box Components and Anderson Winch

  • amelliahona
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2008
      Hi Everyone:

      I have posted some photos in the photos section of the outhaul gearbox components and the
      Anderson Winch disassembled, (see SM Out Haul Service) This is for my Amel SM 2001.

      I tried removing the drive shaft by the method of using a long steel bolt inserted into the
      bottom of the drive shaft. Despite two days of penetrating oil and pounding on the bolt with
      a 2 pound sledge until I though I would damage the boom I was unable to loosen the drive
      shaft. I enlisted the help of a A1 Marine Services in Jolly Harbour, Antigua and they came
      with the largest puller I have ever seen and clamped onto the gearbox upper seal area and
      pushed the drive shaft out with the pullers long screw. Even then it was tough going. I
      intend to completely overhaul this unit and paint it. It appears to me that the paint failed due
      to poor primer application. Both the outhaul and mainsail furling gearbox's paint failed in
      the same manner. I suspect that both gearboxes are similar.

      Anybody else out there completed this overhaul of the gearbox that knows if there is a
      thrust bearing of some sort at the end of the worm drive gear? I came home from the boat
      before completely disassembly and need to order parts.

      Regards, Gary Silver s/v Liahona