Maramu Vent in Galley

  • Howard Berger
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2008
      In the refit of our Maramu #144 we're currently attacking the interior,
      replacing the overhead throughout the boat. In doing so, I took a
      picture of what appears to be a vent above the galley on the port side
      abaft the portlight. Can anyone please tell me what it's for? There's
      also a "locker" immediately above it topside that's covered by a panel
      that screws into place. We're also scratching our heads as to its
      purpose.

      I posted the picture(s) in a new photo album named s/v Jazz here on the
      site. For those who might be interested in getting a look at the refit
      as it progresses, there's a photo album on Facebook you can reach with
      the following link:

      http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3504&l=995ee&id=1015036831

      Best regards,
      Howard Berger
    • David Wallace
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2008
        Hi Howard,

        I can't pick out in the picture the vent you're asking about, but I do know that the locker you're referring to was originally used for the stove gas bottle, which I think was CNG. On Air Ops the gas was changed to propane and the bottle is located in the aft deck locker, with a remote solenoid switch in the galley.

        We're now back in California after our Mexico cruise, so hopefully I'll be able to respond to your questions in a more timely manner. I took a slew of pictures of various things on Air Ops in case they might be helpful.

        Best regards,
        Dave
        s/v Air Ops
        Maramu #104
        ________________________________
        > To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
        > From: svresolute@...
        > Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:40:51 +0000
        > Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu Vent in Galley
        >

        > In the refit of our Maramu #144 we're currently attacking the interior,
        > replacing the overhead throughout the boat. In doing so, I took a
        > picture of what appears to be a vent above the galley on the port side
        > abaft the portlight. Can anyone please tell me what it's for? There's
        > also a "locker" immediately above it topside that's covered by a panel
        > that screws into place. We're also scratching our heads as to its
        > purpose.
        >
        > I posted the picture(s) in a new photo album named s/v Jazz here on the
        > site. For those who might be interested in getting a look at the refit
        > as it progresses, there's a photo album on Facebook you can reach with
        > the following link:
        >
        > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3504&l=995ee&id=1015036831
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Howard Berger
        >

        > Messages in this topic
        Instantly invite friends from Facebook and other social networks to join you on Windows Liveā„¢ Messenger.
      • don.gray93
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2008
          Hello Howard,

          We have a 1986 Maramu "MEL" #190 and have done an extensive refit ..
          some of which will likely have Henri Amel rolling over in his grave..

          Our Maramu has a single adjustable backstay on the Main going from the
          top (we have a double spreader roller furling main) to a chainplate in
          the coach roof just aft of the Mizzen step. The Main also has a
          triatic that connects the top of the Mizzen to the top of the Main.
          This was how it was rigged when we bought her in 1995 so I am not sure
          if the previous owner added the adjustable stay or it came from Amel..

          Don and Debra
          S/V MEL
          Maramu #190

          --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, David Wallace <svairops@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Howard,
          >
          > I can't pick out in the picture the vent you're asking about, but I
          do know that the locker you're referring to was originally used for
          the stove gas bottle, which I think was CNG. On Air Ops the gas was
          changed to propane and the bottle is located in the aft deck locker,
          with a remote solenoid switch in the galley.

          > We're now back in California after our Mexico cruise, so hopefully
          I'll be able to respond to your questions in a more timely manner. I
          took a slew of pictures of various things on Air Ops in case they
          might be helpful.

          > Best regards,
          > Dave
          > s/v Air Ops
          > Maramu #104
          > ________________________________
          > > To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: svresolute@...
          > > Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:40:51 +0000
          > > Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu Vent in Galley
          > >

          > > In the refit of our Maramu #144 we're currently attacking the
          interior,
          > > replacing the overhead throughout the boat. In doing so, I took a
          > > picture of what appears to be a vent above the galley on the port side
          > > abaft the portlight. Can anyone please tell me what it's for? There's
          > > also a "locker" immediately above it topside that's covered by a panel
          > > that screws into place. We're also scratching our heads as to its
          > > purpose.
          > >
          > > I posted the picture(s) in a new photo album named s/v Jazz here
          on the
          > > site. For those who might be interested in getting a look at the refit
          > > as it progresses, there's a photo album on Facebook you can reach with
          > > the following link:
          > >
          > > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3504&l=995ee&id=1015036831
          > >
          > > Best regards,
          > > Howard Berger
          > >

          > > Messages in this topic
          > Instantly invite friends from Facebook and other social networks to
          join you on Windows Live� Messenger.
          > https://www.invite2messenger.net/im/?source=TXT_EML_WLH_InviteFriends

        • WILLIAM KLEIN

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2008
              Thanks, Don and Debra.

              The adjustable backstay fitting was standard on all the Maramus, from
              the answers I received to this post. Our mast, however, is a single
              spreader.

              The connection from the main to mizzen mast shows up in the
              schematics as well.

              How'd your refit go? Ours is coming along, costing an arm and a leg
              unfortunately, but she'll essentially be a new boat when we're done
              with her. Where do you keep MEL and do you have any pictures?

              Howard and Lynda
              s/v Jazz
              --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, don.gray93 <no_reply@...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 15, 2008
                Howard.. if you send me your email address to don.gray93@... I
                will send you a few pictures... she is currently tucked away for the
                hurricane season.

                Don

                --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Berger"
                <svresolute@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, Don and Debra.
                >
                > The adjustable backstay fitting was standard on all the Maramus, from
                > the answers I received to this post. Our mast, however, is a single
                > spreader.
                >
                > The connection from the main to mizzen mast shows up in the
                > schematics as well.
                >
                > How'd your refit go? Ours is coming along, costing an arm and a leg
                > unfortunately, but she'll essentially be a new boat when we're done
                > with her. Where do you keep MEL and do you have any pictures?
                >
                > Howard and Lynda
                > s/v Jazz
                > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, don.gray93 <no_reply@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Howard,
                > >
                > > We have a 1986 Maramu "MEL" #190 and have done an extensive refit ..
                > > some of which will likely have Henri Amel rolling over in his
                > grave..
                > >
                > > Our Maramu has a single adjustable backstay on the Main going from
                > the
                > > top (we have a double spreader roller furling main) to a chainplate
                > in
                > > the coach roof just aft of the Mizzen step. The Main also has a
                > > triatic that connects the top of the Mizzen to the top of the Main.
                > > This was how it was rigged when we bought her in 1995 so I am not
                > sure
                > > if the previous owner added the adjustable stay or it came from
                > Amel..
                > >
                > > Don and Debra
                > > S/V MEL
                > > Maramu #190
                > >

                > > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, David Wallace <svairops@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Hi Howard,
                > > >
                > > > I can't pick out in the picture the vent you're asking about, but
                > > do know that the locker you're referring to was originally used for
                > > the stove gas bottle, which I think was CNG. On Air Ops the gas was
                > > changed to propane and the bottle is located in the aft deck locker,
                > > with a remote solenoid switch in the galley.
                > > >
                > > > We're now back in California after our Mexico cruise, so hopefully
                > > I'll be able to respond to your questions in a more timely
                > manner. I
                > > took a slew of pictures of various things on Air Ops in case they
                > > might be helpful.
                > > >
                > > > Best regards,
                > > > Dave
                > > > s/v Air Ops
                > > > Maramu #104
                > > > ________________________________

                > > interior,
                > port side
                > There's
                > a panel
                > its

                > > on the
                > the refit
                > reach with

                > > > Instantly invite friends from Facebook and other social networks
                > > join you on Windows Live� Messenger.
                > > > https://www.invite2messenger.net/im/?
                > source=TXT_EML_WLH_InviteFriends

              • Horst Pause
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 15, 2008
                  The small locker was originally for the gas bottle, or so I understand. On our Marmau, No.168, I have not found a vent, although there appears to be a bit of copper pipe still there, presumably from the gas bottle. My bottles are now housed in the stern locker, with an electric valve.

                  Good luck with the refit.

                  Horst

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                    Hi
                    The outside locker is a gas locker for gas bottles. The pipe from this
                    locker feeds to a gas valve on/off that is housed inside your 'vent'.
                    Hope this makes sense. Couls I ask what you are replacing the head
                    lining with as I need to do the same thing on our 79 Maramu

                    Regards
                    Deb

                    <svresolute@...> wrote:

                    > In the refit of our Maramu #144 we're currently attacking the interior,
                    > replacing the overhead throughout the boat. In doing so, I took a
                    > picture of what appears to be a vent above the galley on the port side
                    > abaft the portlight. Can anyone please tell me what it's for? There's
                    > also a "locker" immediately above it topside that's covered by a panel
                    > that screws into place. We're also scratching our heads as to its
                    > purpose.
                    >
                    > I posted the picture(s) in a new photo album named s/v Jazz here on the
                    > site. For those who might be interested in getting a look at the refit
                    > as it progresses, there's a photo album on Facebook you can reach with
                    > the following link:
                    >
                    > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3504&l=995ee&id=1015036831
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Howard Berger

                  • William Klein
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008

                      <svresolute@...> wrote:

                      > In the refit of our Maramu #144 we're currently attacking the interior,
                      > replacing the overhead throughout the boat. In doing so, I took a
                      > picture of what appears to be a vent above the galley on the port side
                      > abaft the portlight. Can anyone please tell me what it's for? There's
                      > also a "locker" immediately above it topside that's covered by a panel
                      > that screws into place. We're also scratching our heads as to its
                      > purpose.
                      >
                      > I posted the picture(s) in a new photo album named s/v Jazz here on the
                      > site. For those who might be interested in getting a look at the refit
                      > as it progresses, there's a photo album on Facebook you can reach with
                      > the following link:
                      >
                      > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3504&l=995ee&id=1015036831
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      > Howard Berger

                    • William Klein
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                        Deb, I also have a Maramu and have investigated replacement headliner material. Sailrite has a padded vinyl type material that I saw at some boat shows. They also carry non padded material. Their web site is www.sailrite.com. --Bill Klein