Telephone Communications in Caribbean

  • rbenven44
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2002
      Hi to all,
      Excalibur (SM # 195) is in Lanzarote, and we plan to cross to the
      Caribbean in late Nov./early Dec. Anyone else crossing this year?
      After 6 years in Europe, using a GSM cellphone to stay in touch,
      we're heading for terra incognita as far as cell phone communications
      goes. What have some of you found useful in the Caribbean?
      We have an Iridium sat phone, but are looking for other options
      for family & friends to reach us on the boat.
      Any ideas would be appreciated, or web sites to check out.
      Thanks, Roy
    • kimberlite1212
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2002
        --- In amelyachtowners@y..., rbenven44 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Hi to all,
        > Excalibur (SM # 195) is in Lanzarote, and we plan to cross to
        the
        > Caribbean in late Nov./early Dec. Anyone else crossing this year?
        > After 6 years in Europe, using a GSM cellphone to stay in
        touch,
        > we're heading for terra incognita as far as cell phone
        communications
        > goes. What have some of you found useful in the Caribbean?
        > We have an Iridium sat phone, but are looking for other options
        > for family & friends to reach us on the boat.
        > Any ideas would be appreciated, or web sites to check out.
        > Thanks, Roy

        Roy,
        the ARC is leaving from grand canarie island about the time you want
        to leave.
        we will be leaving grand canarie about january 8 for the caribbean.
        i have found that a mini-m sat phone is the most reliable although
        it is also the most expensive.
        a regular usa cell phone with at&t service works well in the us and
        british virgin islands. i can't speak for the southern caribbean.
        fair winds
        eric freedman
        Kimberlite