Prop pitch

  • John and Anne on Bali Hai
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      Pat and Diane,
      I suggest that you ask Amel about the correct pitch,alternatively you
      could ask the makers of Maxprops.
      I have an Autoprop and although it may be very efficient I have no
      way of telling. What I do know is that it is essential to keep it
      virtually spotless as even minor fouling causes it to go to too
      coarse a pitch which overloads the engine and also reduces power. Bad
      fouling can reduce boat speed to a couple of knots and engine speed
      to about 1200 RPM.
      It also very difficult to steer when the bowthruster is out of
      action. It does not give the feeling of acceleration even if the
      throttle is opened wide.
      My last boat had a Maxprop and was very satisfactory and I wish that
      my SM had one.
      Incidentally recent messages referred to an expensive tool to release
      the bearings on an Autoprop. I bought such a tool which was a
      standard fitsall tool for working on items which need a tool with two
      pins to insert in the fitting. It was quite useless which was
      fortunate as I then found that grease has to be forced into the
      centre of the fitting causing the old grease to come out of the
      fitting. The nipple on the side of the fitting would not accept any
      grease.

      Best wishes, Anne and John SM319