RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Impeller Puller Tool

  • Ian & Judy Jenkins
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 28, 2007
      There is an alternative , really simple,way of accessing the impeller on
      the Onan. Just detach the hoses from the pump, undo the two bolts holding
      the pump to the engine and then you can sit in the cockpit with the pump,
      pour yourself a beer and change the impeller at your leisure.No more
      cursing and bruised knuckles...
      Cheers, Ian and Judy Jenkins, Pen Azen, SM 302, Uruguay

      >From: "Mike Ondra" <mdondra@...>
      >To: <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Impeller Puller Tool
      >Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:23:58 -0400
      >
      >All you really need is a large right angle needle nose pliers. Many types
      >and sizes available looking something like this.
      >

      ><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0006BIBBI/sr=1-58/qid=1190931751/r
      >ef=dp_image_0/102-4066626-5993736?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi&qid=1190931751&sr=1-
      >58> 11in. 90 Degree Needle Nose Pliers
      >
      > _____

      Got a favourite clothes shop, bar or restaurant? Share your local knowledge
      http://www.backofmyhand.com
    • drdavegoodman
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        I echo Ian and Judy's response. I recently had the original Onan
        water pump rebuilt (1300+ hours on it!) and ordered a new pump also.
        The old/original pump was chewing up impellas. Pulling the pump off
        requires only undoing of 2 bolts and the hoses attached. If the
        impella is broken, its easy to check the hoses for loose fragments,
        put the spare pump on, and change the old impella at your leisure.

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Ian & Judy Jenkins"