Re: Maintaining faux teak decks

  • mcgosprey2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
      In May, SV Alchemy suggested "Sure Step" polish to protect the non
      skid areas of the Amel from sun damage.. I purchased some and tried
      it on the brown faux teak decks on my SM Second Call. No matter how
      hard I polish it in, when it dries it leaves a white haze over the
      brown faux teak, no doubt because the polishing rag isn't reaching
      down into the deeper crevices in the faux teak. The Carib sun will
      definitely do a number on the faux teak, lightening it over the
      course of several years. Therefore, I am still looking for a
      solution. Any secrets out there as to how to keep the faux teak
      protected. Michael Glass /Second Call/ Montauk, NY

      www.auroramarine.com -
      > called "Sure Step" for the non-skid areas of our Sharki with good
      > results. It contains a polymer they call "Skid -X" which seals the
      > surface preventing oxidation without reducing the nonskid effect
      like
      > wax would. It lasts about 6 mos.
    • asm283
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2002
        --- In amelyachtowners@y..., mcgosprey2000 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > In May, SV Alchemy suggested "Sure Step" polish to protect the non
        > skid areas of the Amel from sun damage.. I purchased some and
        tried
        > it on the brown faux teak decks on my SM Second Call. No matter
        how
        > hard I polish it in, when it dries it leaves a white haze over the
        > brown faux teak, no doubt because the polishing rag isn't reaching
        > down into the deeper crevices in the faux teak. The Carib sun will
        > definitely do a number on the faux teak, lightening it over the
        > course of several years. Therefore, I am still looking for a
        > solution. Any secrets out there as to how to keep the faux teak
        > protected. Michael Glass /Second Call/ Montauk, NY
        >
        > Joel Potter suggested using caranuba wax. I did this with similar
        results. The wax turned into a white haze. Now I am trying to figure
        out how to remove the wax. The only good thing is believe it or not
        when its wet it actually helps the non skid properties of the deck.
        If anyone has any suggestions Im all ears.

        Vito Ciaravino
        Wonderer