Re: {Disarmed} [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: marina suggestions in New Zealand?

  • Anne & John Hollamby
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2007
      Hello Mark,
      So you got away! When we were in NZ there were three Amels on the hard in Ray Roberts Yard in Whangerei in about 1998. Presumably you will check in in Opua in the Bay of Islands and be able to get up todate info at the club there.
      Be aware that the Kiwi Customs are very strict on the importation of foodstuffs and will take almost all things for incinderation to protect their agricultural dependence. They even took a sealed jar of Foie gras that we had bought at great expense in Noumea.
      Get in touch with George and Dorothy Bateman, two Brits living in NZ and very knowledgeable about things in Opua. They are Port Officers for the OCC but as they are getting on I think that they now share the duties with an American couple.
      Most cruisers stay in this area and there are quite alot of Yanks who have settled in this great part of the world. Some cruisers pass the typhoon season by buying an old car for NZ$ 500-1000 and tour the islands staying at the excellent and cheap motels around the country.

      There are many excellent yards in NZ from Opua southwards. A bus from Opua to look at Whangerei would be a good way to look around .It is only about 20 miles by road but much more on the water. This town is a centre for the northern part of North Island and stocks just about anything a yachtie might need. We spent about five years in Opua or Whangerei and saw no reason at all to take the boat further south apart from going in cruising mode.

      We envy you, Anne and John, SM319