RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Forward bilge water

  • eric
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2007
      Dave,

      Is the water oily that is in the bilge?

      What is the year of your boat?

      Is it a super Maramu?

      The owners’ manual will not help you to change the bow thruster seals.

      Maybe I can help you.

      where are you located?

      Fair Winds,

      Eric

      Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

      _____

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 30, 2007
        Hi Dave

        I think I've reported before that I get water in the same place
        forward, but it's from rainwater coming down the mast. I've tried all
        sorts to stop it, so far without luck. You should find a trail of
        water either from the bowthruster or down the mast compression post
        (even perhaps behind the trim, which is nasty for rot).

        Regards, Roger, Zorba, Mango 28

      • drdavegoodman
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
          Hi Judy and Eric
          Thanks for your responses.
          Two questions:
          1. Is there any danger of damaging the mechanism that lowers the
          bowthruster if the pin has it fixed in the up position and you forget
          to remove it while lowering the bowthruster?
          2. When adjusting the bowthruster cable, I assume you do that when
          the bowthruster is in the down position?
          Dave

          --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:

          > Judy,
          >
          > I adjusted the cables and motor so that the hole lines up and that
          the seals
          > are properly compressed. This prevents water ingress and makes life
          a lot
          > easier when retracting the bow thruster.
          >
          > Fair Winds,
          >
          > Eric
          >
          > Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite
          >

          > _____

        • Dimitris Krassopoulos
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
            Hi to all,

            I had the same problem and I installed a small bilge pump in the bilge close
            to the depth sounder through hull. The sea water goes to the same brass duct
            as the water from the shower I had just made a new one with one more inlet
            where I fixed the hose from the new bilge pump. The pump has also a small
            control unit which I installed easily close to the towel drier similar to
            the jabsco control of the wc but just lower. It looks fine and works very
            well I think that Amel should have thought of that the total cost is around
            150 Dollars. I can send photos if anyone is interested.

            Dimitris

            <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:

            > Judy,
            >
            > I adjusted the cables and motor so that the hole lines up and that
            the seals
            > are properly compressed. This prevents water ingress and makes life
            a lot
            > easier when retracting the bow thruster.
            >
            > Fair Winds,
            >
            > Eric
            >
            > Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

          • Judy
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
              Dave,

              To answer your first question, there is no danger because to insert
              the pin you have to turn off the toggle switch that is located in
              front of the pin hole. With the toggle switch off the bow thruster
              cannot be operated at the helm.

              Regarding your second question, I am not sure. We were concerned that
              we might not adjust it properly so when we were in Guadeloupe, we
              asked Amel to adjust it. That is when Laurent at Amel-Guadeloupe said
              it was adjusted properly and showed us how to pull on the wire cable
              to move it the last 1/2".

              Regarding a bilge pump for this area, we believe that it is designed
              to remain dry. If you service the bow thruster and you secure it with
              the locking pin, it will remain dry.

              Best,

              Bill & Judy Rouse
              s/v BeBe
              SM2 #387

              --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "drdavegoodman"
              <drdavegoodman@...> wrote:

              > Hi Judy and Eric
              > Thanks for your responses.
              > Two questions:
              > 1. Is there any danger of damaging the mechanism that lowers the
              > bowthruster if the pin has it fixed in the up position and you forget
              > to remove it while lowering the bowthruster?
              > 2. When adjusting the bowthruster cable, I assume you do that when
              > the bowthruster is in the down position?
              > Dave

            • drdavegoodman
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                Judy;
                There is no toggle switch that I can see in front of the bowthruster
                securing pin. I have a 1998 AM, #230. What year/# is yours?
                Dave

                --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <sailingjudy@...> wrote:

                > Dave,
                >
                > To answer your first question, there is no danger because to insert
                > the pin you have to turn off the toggle switch that is located in
                > front of the pin hole. With the toggle switch off the bow thruster
                > cannot be operated at the helm.
                >
                > Regarding your second question, I am not sure. We were concerned that
                > we might not adjust it properly so when we were in Guadeloupe, we
                > asked Amel to adjust it. That is when Laurent at Amel-Guadeloupe said
                > it was adjusted properly and showed us how to pull on the wire cable
                > to move it the last 1/2".
                >
                > Regarding a bilge pump for this area, we believe that it is designed
                > to remain dry. If you service the bow thruster and you secure it with
                > the locking pin, it will remain dry.
                >
                > Best,
                >
                > Bill & Judy Rouse
                > s/v BeBe
                > SM2 #387
                >
                > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "drdavegoodman"
                > <drdavegoodman@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Judy and Eric
                > > Thanks for your responses.
                > > Two questions:
                > > 1. Is there any danger of damaging the mechanism that lowers the
                > > bowthruster if the pin has it fixed in the up position and you forget
                > > to remove it while lowering the bowthruster?
                > > 2. When adjusting the bowthruster cable, I assume you do that when
                > > the bowthruster is in the down position?
                > > Dave

              • drdavegoodman
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 17, 2007
                  Eric;
                  The water was not oily. The boat is a 1998 SM. Location is St.
                  Thomas, USVI. Since I have placed the securing pin in the
                  bowthruster, I've had no further water. However, I've not been out
                  sailing since I discovered the water. Next time I go sailing, I will
                  be using the bow thruster to exit and enter my dock area. After using
                  it, I will again secure it with the pin, and will be checking for
                  water in the forward bilge.
                  The previous owner performed the Amel recommended modification to
                  prevent the bowthruster from coming out of the boat, but to my
                  knowlege has never changed the bowthruster seals. The main engine has
                  about 900 hours, to give you an idea of how much its been used.

                • drdavegoodman
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 17, 2007
                    Hi Roger;
                    I do not have any water coming down the mast/mast compression post.
                    There has been some major rain here in USVI, and no water has gotten
                    into the forward bilge since I've inserted the bowthruster secure pin.
                    Dave

                    --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Roger Banks <roger.banks@...>

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 17, 2007
                      Dave,

                      The Amel modification has nothing to do with a bow thruster leak. It is only
                      a device to prevent the loss of the bow thruster assembly,

                      If you have Oily water in the bilge, the front seal of the bow thruster is
                      leaking. That is the seal directly behind the propeller. This is not your
                      problem.

                      Clear water means that water is leaking around the bow thruster tube.

                      There are 2 sets of seals on the bow thruster. The first set is a metric lip
                      seal on top of which is a compressible foam seal; this is on the top of the
                      inside of the hull where the bow thruster assembly sits in the down
                      position. The lip seal keeps most of the water out and the compressed foam
                      seal finishes the job. The Lip seal is a standard metric lip seal. The foam
                      seal is available from Amel only. It is easy to change without removing the
                      thruster from boat.

                      There are two more foam seals one on top of the other where the bow
                      thruster tube meets the bow thruster assembly. They are simply attached with
                      silicone seal. However, the bow thruster has to be removed to replace these
                      as they are outside the hull. If you see the water coming in with the bow
                      thruster up and the boat is moving then the outside seals need replacement.
                      If the thruster leaks with the boat moving and the thruster down then the
                      inside, seals need replacing. I believe there is a diagram of this in the
                      owner’s book. When you order the seals order a few complete sets as the
                      postage costs more than the seals. if you gat a leak with the thruster up
                      and the boat moving , a temporary fix is to tighten the motor adjusting nut
                      so the motor is a little higher and compresses the outer seals a bit more. I
                      rebuild the bow thruster every year and change all of the seals and the oil
                      when I paint the bottom. I do not have any water in my bilge. As a ps ii
                      would also buy the Amel bow thruster tool. you can change the prop and all
                      the seals and oil without hauling the boat.

                      I hope this helps,

                      Fair Winds,

                      Eric

                      Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

                      _____

                      The water was not oily. The boat is a 1998 SM. Location is St.
                      Thomas, USVI. Since I have placed the securing pin in the
                      bowthruster, I've had no further water. However, I've not been out
                      sailing since I discovered the water. Next time I go sailing, I will
                      be using the bow thruster to exit and enter my dock area. After using
                      it, I will again secure it with the pin, and will be checking for
                      water in the forward bilge.
                      The previous owner performed the Amel recommended modification to
                      prevent the bowthruster from coming out of the boat, but to my
                      knowlege has never changed the bowthruster seals. The main engine has
                      about 900 hours, to give you an idea of how much its been used.
                      Dave

                      --- In amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:

                      > Dave,
                      >
                      > Is the water oily that is in the bilge?
                      >
                      > What is the year of your boat?
                      >
                      > Is it a super Maramu?
                      >
                      > The owners' manual will not help you to change the bow thruster seals.
                      >
                      > Maybe I can help you.
                      >
                      > where are you located?
                      >
                      > Fair Winds,
                      >
                      > Eric