Re: [Amel Keel

  • Russ Roberts
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
      Speaking of hull issues, I'm considering various hull materials for my next
      boat. I want strength for occasional brash ice. I do not like steel and
      aluminum because of corrosion. I am afraid of ferro cement because of lack
      of knowledge. And I do not like fiberglass because of blisters (and the
      question of strength). What is your experience with blisters and other hull
      problems on the Amels? Thanks!

    • Jochen Hofmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
        Still, so that Russ is in the picture:

        I have not heard of blisters on any Amel boat so far.

        Our Maramu was built in 1984 - still in perfect shape.

      • galacsea2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2007
          Joel,
          I too would like to know the correct procedure. Please post it on this
          site, as a message or as a file if you have it as a ready set from La
          Rochelle. Thanks and fair winds.
          JP
        • amelliahona
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2007
            Hi Joel:

            I hope all is well with you and yours. We just finished hauling Liahona in Jolly Harbor Antigua
            for the hurricane season.

            I too would like to know the "definitive procedure" for priming on the keel.

            Also, I just had Laurant replace the starboard windshield due to crazing, do you have any
            thoughts on prevention?

            Thanks, Gary Silver
          • woods deborah
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
              Hi Gary/Joel

              Having read your note on new windshield. There are
              only two things that will delay the onset of crazing
              in plastics, keep the sun off(when possible) and DO
              NOT USE any chemicals clean only with fresh water. I
              would also request a copy of the 'definitive'
              procedure for epoxy repairs to keel if possible please
              Joel.
              I have recently become an Amel owner Maramu46 - ORION1
              and will no doubt have lots of questions to follow! A
              but the boat is a 79 build. Does anyone have any
              useful tips for dealing with minor osmosis?

              Regards
              John and Deb (ORION1)
              --- amelliahona <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > Hi Joel:
              >
              > I hope all is well with you and yours. We just
              > finished hauling Liahona in Jolly Harbor Antigua
              > for the hurricane season.
              >
              > I too would like to know the "definitive procedure"
              > for priming on the keel.
              >
              > Also, I just had Laurant replace the starboard
              > windshield due to crazing, do you have any
              > thoughts on prevention?
              >
              > Thanks, Gary Silver

              now.
              http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/