Dolphin Battery Chargers and Embee Striper No 1100

  • John and Anne on Bali Hai
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
      I have a 30amp plus a 50amp charger. They are It seems to me programmed
      sso that the 30 should be turned on first and the other after a minute
      od so to let the charge rate stabilise. The 50amp one does not take the
      volts up to 28.8 and indeed does nothing much once the volts reach
      about 27 whereas the 30amp one will take them up to 28.6.
      At one time Amel told me that the output can be increased by carefully
      scraping the red locking varnish off the left hand trimmer in the
      middle and near the bottom of the board and turning it clockwise to
      increase the volts. I tried this and broke the trimmer...perhaps I
      should have asked a technician to replace the trimmer in the first
      place.
      The chargers are standard models altered to meet Amel's spec. I sent
      mine back to the Reya's factory in the south of France and asked them
      to repair it and also to change it back to the standard spec. which
      they did and all has been well since. The contact is an Irish girl
      whose name is Lucy Kelly lucy.kelly at reya.com
      Eric,
      After spending a long time Googling I have found a supplier for the
      striper. contact louatantiqueboat.com and specify Embee Striper Model
      No 1100 for $29.99. There is a lot of help on painting the stripes if
      you enter words like false teak decks in the search box on this site.

      Would people please list the subject of their messages so that the
      search machine can do it's job.

      Regards, Anne and John SM319
    • eric freedman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
        John,
        i couldn't find that website.
        Fair winds,
        eric
        sm 376 kimberlite

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "John and Anne on Bali Hai"
        <annejohn@...> wrote:

        > I have a 30amp plus a 50amp charger. They are It seems to me
        programmed
        > sso that the 30 should be turned on first and the other after a
        minute
        > od so to let the charge rate stabilise. The 50amp one does not
        take the
        > volts up to 28.8 and indeed does nothing much once the volts reach
        > about 27 whereas the 30amp one will take them up to 28.6.
        > At one time Amel told me that the output can be increased by
        carefully
        > scraping the red locking varnish off the left hand trimmer in the
        > middle and near the bottom of the board and turning it clockwise
        > increase the volts. I tried this and broke the trimmer...perhaps I
        > should have asked a technician to replace the trimmer in the first
        > place.
        > The chargers are standard models altered to meet Amel's spec. I
        sent
        > mine back to the Reya's factory in the south of France and asked
        them
        > to repair it and also to change it back to the standard spec.
        which
        > they did and all has been well since. The contact is an Irish girl
        > whose name is Lucy Kelly lucy.kelly at reya.com
        > Eric,
        > After spending a long time Googling I have found a supplier for
        the
        > striper. contact louatantiqueboat.com and specify Embee Striper
        Model
        > No 1100 for $29.99. There is a lot of help on painting the
        stripes if
        > you enter words like false teak decks in the search box on this
        site.

        > Would people please list the subject of their messages so that the
        > search machine can do it's job.
        >
        > Regards, Anne and John SM319

      • Ian & Judy Jenkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2007
          Hi all, I have both a 30 and a 50 amp Dolphin charger. I can find nothing
          saying which order I should use them in. I have used both or either with
          success. My undesrtanding was that the 30 amp one was for use in marinas
          that may not have a large amperage supply.
          What the original manual does say is that there is a switch that allows you
          to choose between Gel and Free batteries. If you choose Gel, you get 27.2v
          floating, with 28.8v boost; with Free you get 26.6v floating with 28.2v
          boost. In my ignorance I have never understood the difference between Free
          and Gel batteries. I assume that the original Amel Freedom batteries are
          Free batteries and I am pretty certain that I have yet to see a boost of
          28.8v

          Cheers, Ian and Judy Jenkins, Pen Azen, SM 302, UIruguay

        • agav8ter
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2007
            Hello John and Anne,

            Are your 30 / 50 amp chargers "Nemo's"? I have two Nemo 50 chargers
            that pulled out of my boat, when I installed the 100 amp charger I
            now have. If you or anyone needs a spare working charger at a
            reasonable price let me know.

            Tony
            SM #266

            <annejohn@...> wrote:

            > I have a 30amp plus a 50amp charger. They are It seems to me
            programmed
            > sso that the 30 should be turned on first and the other after a
            minute
            > od so to let the charge rate stabilise. The 50amp one does not take
            the
            > volts up to 28.8 and indeed does nothing much once the volts reach
            > about 27 whereas the 30amp one will take them up to 28.6.
            > At one time Amel told me that the output can be increased by
            carefully
            > scraping the red locking varnish off the left hand trimmer in the
            > middle and near the bottom of the board and turning it clockwise to
            > increase the volts. I tried this and broke the trimmer...perhaps I
            > should have asked a technician to replace the trimmer in the first
            > place.
            > The chargers are standard models altered to meet Amel's spec. I
            sent
            > mine back to the Reya's factory in the south of France and asked
            them
            > to repair it and also to change it back to the standard spec. which
            > they did and all has been well since. The contact is an Irish girl
            > whose name is Lucy Kelly lucy.kelly at reya.com
            > Eric,
            > After spending a long time Googling I have found a supplier for the
            > striper. contact louatantiqueboat.com and specify Embee Striper
            Model
            > No 1100 for $29.99. There is a lot of help on painting the stripes
            if
            > you enter words like false teak decks in the search box on this
            site.

            > Would people please list the subject of their messages so that the
            > search machine can do it's job.
            >
            > Regards, Anne and John SM319

          • Stephan Regulinski
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14 2:50 PM
              Eric,

              If you haven't found the web site, try: www.antiqueboat.com
              The Striper is found by going to the tab for the boat store and
              searching for "striper". By the way, the striper is now shown as
              produced by "Marshalltown" not "Embee".

              Stephan

              S/V Delos (SM303)

              --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "eric freedman"
              <kimberlite@...> wrote:

              > John,
              > i couldn't find that website.
              > Fair winds,
              > eric
              > sm 376 kimberlite
              >

              > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "John and Anne on Bali
              Hai"
              > <annejohn@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a 30amp plus a 50amp charger. They are It seems to me
              > programmed
              > > sso that the 30 should be turned on first and the other after a
              > minute
              > > od so to let the charge rate stabilise. The 50amp one does not
              > take the
              > > volts up to 28.8 and indeed does nothing much once the volts
              reach
              > > about 27 whereas the 30amp one will take them up to 28.6.
              > > At one time Amel told me that the output can be increased by
              > carefully
              > > scraping the red locking varnish off the left hand trimmer in
              the
              > > middle and near the bottom of the board and turning it clockwise
              > > increase the volts. I tried this and broke the trimmer...perhaps
              > > should have asked a technician to replace the trimmer in the
              first
              > > place.
              > > The chargers are standard models altered to meet Amel's spec. I
              > sent
              > > mine back to the Reya's factory in the south of France and asked
              > them
              > > to repair it and also to change it back to the standard spec.
              > which
              > > they did and all has been well since. The contact is an Irish
              girl
              > > whose name is Lucy Kelly lucy.kelly at reya.com
              > > Eric,
              > > After spending a long time Googling I have found a supplier for
              > the
              > > striper. contact louatantiqueboat.com and specify Embee Striper
              > Model
              > > No 1100 for $29.99. There is a lot of help on painting the
              > stripes if
              > > you enter words like false teak decks in the search box on this
              > site.
              > >
              > > Would people please list the subject of their messages so that
              the
              > > search machine can do it's job.
              > >
              > > Regards, Anne and John SM319

            • eric
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 14 5:24 PM
                Stephan,

                I found it at a company called Mister Art. I had one of the locals in St
                Martin re-paint the deck. He charged me $360- for 3 days. . It looks great
                with the new black paint.

                Fair Winds,

                Eric

                Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite