BOWTHRUSTER SEAL PROBLEMS

  • L. CAMERON
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      FROM LADY DIVINA, SM 317
      MY BOWTHRUSTER IS LEAKING ALOT OF SEAWATER ONLY WHEN SAILING THRU SOME SWELL, BUT NOT AT ANCHOR. A 4-5 HOUR SAIL WILL LEAK 2-3 GALLONS INTO THE BILGE BY THE FORE HEAD PASSAGEWAY.
      MY QUESTIONS ARE:
      1) WHY IS THIS UNIT WITH VERY LITTLE USE LEAKING THRU THE SEALS ON A YEAR 2001 BOAT?? DOES AMEL WARANTY THIS IF IT IS SO COMMON??
      2) HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE SEALS WHILE AT ANCHOR?? IS THEIR SEA WATER INTRUSION WHEN THE UNIT IS DROPPED OUT IN CALM WATERS?
      3) WILL GREASING THE SHAFT AND MOVING THE UNIT UP & DOWN TO LUBRICATE THE SEALS, MINIMIZE THE PROBLEM UNTIL I CAN HAULOUT MORE CONVENIENTLY??
      4) DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLEAR SCHEMATIC SHOWING THE SEALS?? HOW MANY SEALS ARE THERE TO CHANGE??
      THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! LADY DIVINA SM#317

    • asm283
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        Hello

        Seals leaking is a common problem. Changing the seals regularly
        helps. I change them every time the boat is out of the water. It is
        a very simple procedure. There are 3 seals 1 inside the boat and two
        between the shaft and the unit.

        The Bow Thruster can be removed and serviced while the boat is in
        the water. You need a special tool from Amel or a diver. I have
        never done this but I believe if you search this site you can find
        the best procedure.

        There is a way to adjust the pressure that is put on the seals by
        adjusting the motor travel. I have described how to do this in the
        you put the safety pin in this may help.

        When you remove the unit dont forget to change the oil. If there is
        water in the oil you will also need to change the seal on the prop.
        Again very simple procedure.

        Good luck

        Vito

        Wanderer

        asm 283

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "L. CAMERON"
        <solarconstruction@...> wrote:

        > FROM LADY DIVINA, SM 317
        > MY BOWTHRUSTER IS LEAKING ALOT OF SEAWATER ONLY WHEN SAILING
        THRU SOME SWELL, BUT NOT AT ANCHOR. A 4-5 HOUR SAIL WILL LEAK 2-3
        GALLONS INTO THE BILGE BY THE FORE HEAD PASSAGEWAY.
        > MY QUESTIONS ARE:
        > 1) WHY IS THIS UNIT WITH VERY LITTLE USE LEAKING THRU THE SEALS
        ON A YEAR 2001 BOAT?? DOES AMEL WARANTY THIS IF IT IS SO COMMON??
        > 2) HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE SEALS WHILE AT ANCHOR?? IS THEIR SEA
        WATER INTRUSION WHEN THE UNIT IS DROPPED OUT IN CALM WATERS?
        > 3) WILL GREASING THE SHAFT AND MOVING THE UNIT UP & DOWN TO
        LUBRICATE THE SEALS, MINIMIZE THE PROBLEM UNTIL I CAN HAULOUT MORE
        CONVENIENTLY??
        > 4) DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLEAR SCHEMATIC SHOWING THE SEALS?? HOW
        MANY SEALS ARE THERE TO CHANGE??
        > THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! LADY DIVINA SM#317

      • eric
        Message 3 of 4 , May 19, 2006
          Vito,

          The lip seal on the bow thruster’s propeller shaft has 2 sides one flat side
          and one concave side with a spring showing.

          Which side faces the sea water and propeller?

          Fair Winds,

          Eric

          Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

          _____

          <solarconstruction@...> wrote:

          > FROM LADY DIVINA, SM 317
          > MY BOWTHRUSTER IS LEAKING ALOT OF SEAWATER ONLY WHEN SAILING
          THRU SOME SWELL, BUT NOT AT ANCHOR. A 4-5 HOUR SAIL WILL LEAK 2-3
          GALLONS INTO THE BILGE BY THE FORE HEAD PASSAGEWAY.
          > MY QUESTIONS ARE:
          > 1) WHY IS THIS UNIT WITH VERY LITTLE USE LEAKING THRU THE SEALS
          ON A YEAR 2001 BOAT?? DOES AMEL WARANTY THIS IF IT IS SO COMMON??
          > 2) HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE SEALS WHILE AT ANCHOR?? IS THEIR SEA
          WATER INTRUSION WHEN THE UNIT IS DROPPED OUT IN CALM WATERS?
          > 3) WILL GREASING THE SHAFT AND MOVING THE UNIT UP & DOWN TO
          LUBRICATE THE SEALS, MINIMIZE THE PROBLEM UNTIL I CAN HAULOUT MORE
          CONVENIENTLY??
          > 4) DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLEAR SCHEMATIC SHOWING THE SEALS?? HOW
          MANY SEALS ARE THERE TO CHANGE??
          > THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! LADY DIVINA SM#317

          Sailing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sailing&w1=Sailing&w2=Sailing+yacht&w3=
          Amel&w4=Boating+sailing&c=4&s=63&.sig=PlhCW0zvsb13KReuHX3A-Q>

          Sailing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sailing+yacht&w1=Sailing&w2=Sailing+yac
          ht&w3=Amel&w4=Boating+sailing&c=4&s=63&.sig=SzbkQjL-eN7E93cbJzL0eQ> yacht

          Amel
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Amel&w1=Sailing&w2=Sailing+yacht&w3=Ame
          l&w4=Boating+sailing&c=4&s=63&.sig=pKnE4krYP80ImoJWH3305w>

          Boating
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Sailing&w2=Sailing+y
          acht&w3=Amel&w4=Boating+sailing&c=4&s=63&.sig=-PqrRug6_9dlpPCqNcYXvA>
          sailing

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "amelyachtowners
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners> " on the web.

          _____

        • amelliahona
          Message 4 of 4 , May 22, 2006

            Eric:

            On my bow thruster the flat side of the seal faced the sea water and propeller,
            while the concave side with the spring faced the recess in the bow thruster.

            The bow thruster recess is made of fiberglass so it is necessary to be very
            careful when removing the seal not to damage the seat area of the recess. Also,
            since the seal didn't fit particularly tighly in its recess I used a little RTV
            (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone sealant to help assure that it
            stayed in place. This I did at the suggestion of Ray Eaton (Amels service
            rep in Ft. Lauderdale).

            Regards,

            Gary Silver Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335