Corian Countertops

  • tabnchuck
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
      We are taking delivery on Dec. 9, '02 and are trying to piece
      together our final wish, I mean options, list. Does anyone have an
      opinion about the Corian option for the galley countertops? Joel has
      made a pretty hard sell (one of the few...) and we are a little
      reluctant because of some homeowner friends who have had problems
      with staining and scratches. Why would Amel offer an inferior option
      when they have the trendy "retro" goldenrod sink and classic Johnson
      & Johnson Bandaid brown gelcoat?

      Is there a down side to the corian tops and white sink?

      Is the warm water cockpit shower helpful?

      Thanks for the replies, its great to see the site up and running with
      some very good input.

      Chuck, Tabitha, Joshua(10), Ariella(9), & August(8) Luecker
    • stargazer41amel
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
        Ah, the joys of yacht decisions!Your friends are correct in their
        statements.

        Corian countertops do scratch and stain. My experience comes from
        having a Corian showergrate in a previous boat ... milddew into the
        Corian was not to be removed ... even with bleach. My cutting board
        (which I love) is scratched and stained. One can lightly sand the
        surface to "clean & clear" the Corian but doing so is difficult
        because of the layering of the Corian material.

        I have a good friend who is a master woodworker (kitchens) in
        $1,000,000+ homes and he strongly encouraged me NOT to put Corian in
        my 41 Amel due to the poor longterm cosmetic durability of the
        material. He also states that a very hot pot placed on the surface
        can damage/burn the material. Corian is a type of plastic polymer.

        I considered installing Corian into my refitted galley but I trust
        his advise and experience so I had custom stainless steel sinks and
        counter and back splash made all in one piece (no leaks)! Very
        expensive but worth it.

        It's a shame that Amel doesn't offer stainless steel options or
        marble options (excellent counter materials).

        We have always valued advice given by Joel, but in this case I would
        have to say people who have owned Corian counters will tell you like
        it really is. Pretty when new but difficult to keep new looking.

        Enjoy your new Amel! Excellent vessels!
        Delores Carter
      • stargazer41amel
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
          > Is the warm water cockpit shower helpful?

          Forgot this question ... yes, yes, yes, a warm shower in a cockpit is
          great! We are refitting our cockpit shower with hot/cold options.
          In the summer the cold water shower is fine but on those cooler
          days/evenings we wished for warm water to rinse off and/or clean
          scuba gear, the dog, etc.

          Delores Carter
        • jjwiggin2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
            --- In amelyachtowners@y..., "tabnchuck" <c.luecker@v...> wrote:
            > We are taking delivery on Dec. 9, '02 and are trying to piece
            > together our final wish, I mean options, list. Does anyone have an
            > opinion about the Corian option for the galley countertops? Joel
            has
            > made a pretty hard sell (one of the few...) and we are a little
            > reluctant because of some homeowner friends who have had problems
            > with staining and scratches. Why would Amel offer an inferior
            option
            > when they have the trendy "retro" goldenrod sink and classic Johnson
            > & Johnson Bandaid brown gelcoat?
            >
            > Is there a down side to the corian tops and white sink?
            >
            > Is the warm water cockpit shower helpful?
            >
            > Thanks for the replies, its great to see the site up and running
            with
            > some very good input.
            > We opted for the Corian since we had put in an all white countertop
            and sink in our Fla. condo about 3 years ago and have been very
            pleased. You must never cut on it, always use a cutting board. I
            have had no problems cleaning such things as red wine or anything
            else with Bon Ami, which does not sctatch. My understanding is that
            the alternative is gelcoat/fiberglass material. Do you think you can
            put a hot pot on that without damage?

            Jim Wiggin
            > Chuck, Tabitha, Joshua(10), Ariella(9), & August(8) Luecker
          • hollambyuk
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 21, 2002
              -We have Bali Hai,Super Maramu No 319 which is 15 months old.We think
              the standard galley work tops are fine although Anne would prefer a
              S/S sink. However when we got the boat in La Rochelle we bought two
              wooden carving boards 17 x 11.5 inches and eight 40mm rubber
              doorstops at Carrefour which is a great French supermarket chain. We
              pulled out the s/s bow handle on each board and fitted the door stops
              as feet so that the top of the boards is a bit higher than the
              worktop surrounds. Being wood they are impervious to hot pans and
              double as a tray to put hot dishes on the dining table or serve as
              cheese boards !
              One essential extra which we did not know about is to have vinyl
              windows welded into the Bimini over the helmsmans seat as mere
              mortals will find it difficult/impossible to trim the sails from the
              cockpit when they are not visible!! We were told that this is a nil
              cost extra if ordered at the beginning but it is quite expensive to
              have done later as the whole bimini has to be dismantled and
              removed/replaced. The back curtain to the bimini is also essential in
              inclement weather at sea or at anchor.
              Regards from sunny Malta, Anne and John