Bow Thruster Prop Replacement

  • rossirossix4
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      I've lost my bow thruster prop. Does anyone have experience in
      removing the bow thruster foot or replacing the prop without taking
      the boat out of the water? I see that amel sells a kit for doing
      this. Is it worth getting (vs paying for a haul). I read a comment
      somewhere that it was hard to do. I'm trying to decide if I should
      haul it (I just put it in) or wait for the special device from Amel.

      Also, can someone give me detailed instructions on replacing the
      prop? Seems like removing the screws, if they have sheared off, could
      be a problem.

      Thanks.

      Bob
    • eric
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
        Using the amel tool it takes about an hour and a half.

        My problem with changing the prop under water was that the stainless pin had
        twisted into the holder and had to be cut out of the plastic- when I removed
        the thruster to the deck it was a very simple job.

        Fair winds,

        Eric

        Sm 376 Kimberlite.

        _____

        I've lost my bow thruster prop. Does anyone have experience in
        removing the bow thruster foot or replacing the prop without taking
        the boat out of the water? I see that amel sells a kit for doing
        this. Is it worth getting (vs paying for a haul). I read a comment
        somewhere that it was hard to do. I'm trying to decide if I should
        haul it (I just put it in) or wait for the special device from Amel.

        Also, can someone give me detailed instructions on replacing the
        prop? Seems like removing the screws, if they have sheared off, could
        be a problem.

        Thanks.

        Bob

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • rossirossix4
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2005
          Thanks everyone, for your advice and ideas on bow-thruster
          replacement without short hauling the boat--I did replace it in the
          water.

          Everyone's advice was valid, but I thought I would share my
          experience and ideas.

          I was able to drive the old pin out, using a correctly sized
          Craftsman punch with small taps from a hammer and grabing the end
          with a Vice-Grip and twist/pulling it out the other end. Believe it
          or not, I was able to do this hanging off my dingy with my son
          holding the dingy into the boat. However, a better way, and one I
          had to resort to to attach the prop--was simply floating next to the
          bowthruster while wearing a PFD and reaching down with both hands to
          work on it. I started out with a snorkle and mask but found (perhaps
          due to the opacity of Chesapeake Bay water) that floating with the
          head above water was easier.

          First I hauled the thruster up about 2" to make it more accessable
          under water--you only need access to the hub and this helps a little.
          Next, I lightly sanded the inside edge of the prop that pushes onto
          the collar and lubed the inside of this area of the prop with
          Lanocoat. This helped it slide on easier and allowed me to rotate
          it on the hub to line-up the six holes. I tied a keeper line around
          one blade of the prop. Because it tapers out larger, this secures
          the pricey little guy! I also had used a small nylon string to do
          the same thing with the white collar by going through one of the
          threaded holes. Working with both hands, I think that the best way
          to push the prop on is to grab around the thruster with the fingers
          of both hands and push the prop on simultaneously with both thumbs.
          Lining up the six holes in the prop with the white collar was the
          toughest task for me. I found that I had to back the prop off the
          hub about half way and line up the holes with the punch and then ush
          it on completly. Otherwise the prop and drive rotate together and I
          could not line up the holes. Because the punch was smaller than the
          holes I had to work it around in a circular motion to line up one of
          the holes correctly. A better guide, like a plastic pen body might
          be better. Lining up the holes was by far the most difficult task--
          if you are in clear water, a snorkle and mask might let you do it
          visually, but not in the Chesapeake! I had my son stand above me on
          the deck and lower parts down with a bucket (including the nylon
          screws--one at a time.

          It wasn't too bad, but I will be buying the special tool. It sounds
          like it is very useful if there are any complications, and of-course
          could allow you to replace a seal or chack/change the 90wt oil.
          Joel told me by phone that he has the process down to about 30
          minutes.

          Bob
          Santorin Hull#86 Brittany de la Mer

          --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@o...> wrote:
          > Using the amel tool it takes about an hour and a half.
          >
          > My problem with changing the prop under water was that the
          stainless pin had
          > twisted into the holder and had to be cut out of the plastic- when
          I removed
          > the thruster to the deck it was a very simple job.
          >
          > Fair winds,
          >
          > Eric
          >
          > Sm 376 Kimberlite.
          >

          > _____

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • Mark Pitt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2005
            I have the bow thruster replacement tool but have not had
            the occasion to use it. If I did needto use it, I am not sure that
            I know how to. The English translation of the instructions that
            came with it are very difficult to follow. I would greatly appreciate
            it if someone could supply a more clearly worded set of instructions,

            Mark
            SM #419 Sabbatical III

          • svmalaika@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2005
              Mark (and Others),

              The AMEL supplied tool is very easy to use. Here is how I have done it six
              times, twice on our boat and four times on other AMELs we've met.

              1) Secure the bow thrust shaft by placing the hose clamp around the shaft
              about 5 cm (2 inches) below where the shaft connects to the motor.

              2) Remove the collar (if fitted) around the base of the motor and remove the
              four screws that secure the shaft to the motor base. This will free the shaft
              to slide down until it is held by the hose clamp (important) fitted in 1 above.

              3) Insert the AMEL tool into the shaft and secure it with the two screws
              provided Make sure the screws are set in the two holes in the tool.

              4) Wrap plastic electrical tape around the space between the tool and the
              shaft to prevent salt water from entering the shaft.

              5. Secure the end of the line on the AMEL tool, loosen the hose clamp and
              slowly lower the bow thruster assembly into the water.

              6) Using a boat hook on deck snag the line and bring the bow thruster prop
              assembly on board.

              7) Replace the prop as previously described (if you need details let me know).

              8) While the unit is on deck it is a good idea to drain the oil by inverting
              the unit (after removing the tape and tool) and replacing it with SEA 90W gear
              oil.

              9) Refit the tool, tape and lower it into the water.

              10) Haul it up from inside, check orientation and reset the hose clamp (so
              you don't lose the unit)

              11) Now the only hard part. Fit the shaft into the base of the motor so the
              spline fits and the unit can b secured by the four secures. Replace the collar
              and test.

              Good luck,
              Charlie
              S/V MALAIKA II
              Barcelona, SPAIN

            • eric
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 13, 2005
                Mark,

                It is also good to mark the amel tool at its aft end so when you bring the
                thruster back into the boat you will be able to align it.

                Fair winds,

                Eric

                SM 376

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 13, 2005
                  Eric,

                  I agree orientation is important. I always fit the tool so the hole where the
                  line is secured is visible.

                  Charlie

                • eric
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 13, 2005
                    Charlie,

                    I just used a big black magic marker and marked the aft end with a line.

                    Fair winds,

                    Eric

                    Sm 376

                    _____