main prop seal removal

  • drdavegoodman
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
      What is the best method to remove the old main prop seals on 1998 SM?
    • Bill & Judy Rouse
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
        Dave,

        I do not know if it is the best, but I know it is not the worst.

        1. Drill a small "pilot hole" in the seal.
        2. Screw a 2 or 3" machine screw into the hole
        3. Use a claw hammer to remove the seal
        Repeat for each seal

        Press the new seals in place with the old wear bushing and a piece of pipe large enough to go over the prop shaft and long enough to use a mallet to drive the seals home.

        Also, in the files section you will find this file: Shaft Bushing and Seals Replacement.pdf
        It is in the folder titled, "C Drive & Propeller Shaft, Seals & Wear Bushing also..."

        Hope this helps.

        Bill
        BeBe, SM2k, #387

        On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM, <drdavegoodman@...> wrote:

        What is the best method to remove the old main prop seals on 1998 SM?

      • kimberlite1212
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
          Dave,
          I just tape up the tip of a very large flat screwdriver and pry the seals out.
          it takes about 5 minutes.
          I have done this every year for the last 10 years .
          eric
          sm 376

          > I do not know if it is the best, but I know it is not the worst.
          >

          > 1. Drill a small "pilot hole" in the seal.
          > 2. Screw a 2 or 3" machine screw into the hole
          > 3. Use a claw hammer to remove the seal
          >
          > Repeat for each seal
          >
          > Press the new seals in place with the old wear bushing and a
          > piece of pipe
          > large enough to go over the prop shaft and long enough to use a
          > mallet to
          > drive the seals home.
          >
          > Also, in the files section you will find this file: Shaft
          > Bushing and Seals
          > Replacement.pdf
          > It is in the folder titled, "C Drive & Propeller Shaft, Seals & Wear
          > Bushing also..."
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Bill
          > BeBe, SM2k, #387
          >

          > On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM, wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > What is the best method to remove the old main prop seals on
          > 1998 SM?

        • Anne and John Hollamby
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
            Hello Dave,
            Eric’s solution sounds excellent, I used to use Bill’s way but found it tricky. I have been using a small screwdriver  which has the tip heated up so that the end 1/4 inch or less is bent to an angle of about 45 degrees and I use this to hook onto the oil seal to pull it out normally needing a vice grip to lever it out. You might be able to find my post in which I gave the details of how to sleeve the new or old bearing and new oil seals. I believe that this will do away with the need to replace the bearing and oil seals every one or two years. Incidentally a machine shop can copy the old bronze bearing for you at a fraction of the cost of shipping one from Amel.

                                     Good luck,  Anne and John  Bali Hai, SM319, Malta. and about to go on the market as even Amels are a test for skippers in their eighties.

            > I do not know if it is the best, but I know it is not the worst.
            >

            > 1. Drill a small "pilot hole" in the seal.
            > 2. Screw a 2 or 3" machine screw into the hole
            > 3. Use a claw hammer to remove the seal
            >
            > Repeat for each seal
            >
            > Press the new seals in place with the old wear bushing and a
            > piece of pipe
            > large enough to go over the prop shaft and long enough to use a
            > mallet to
            > drive the seals home.
            >
            > Also, in the files section you will find this file: Shaft
            > Bushing and Seals
            > Replacement.pdf
            > It is in the folder titled, "C Drive & Propeller Shaft, Seals & Wear
            > Bushing also..."
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Bill
            > BeBe, SM2k, #387
            >

            > On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM, wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > What is the best method to remove the old main prop seals on
            > 1998 SM?

          • Ian Shepherd
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
              Dave,

              I do the same as Bill. Drill small holes and wind in self tapping screws then extract with a pair of pliers. One caveat though. It is easy to burr the prop shaft with the chuck of your drill so use a longer than normal drill bit to avoid this.

              Since replacing the Amel bush with a replica made of stainless, my seals have been in place for 4.5 years with no signs of wear or leakage. Some say you shouldn't put stainless on stainless but I have found no problem having assembled the bush to prop shaft with plenty of Corrosion Block anti corrosion grease. Sleeving the old bush with stainless is probably a better way.

              Ian Shepherd SM 414 (2003) Crusader Larnaca Cyprus

              On 29/09/2013 15:35, drdavegoodman@... wrote:

              What is the best method to remove the old main prop seals on 1998 SM?

            • seafeverofcuan
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2013

                Dave,

                        Some years ago I went to the trouble of finding a stainless steel tube the same size as the oil seals, 63mm sticks in my head but I am not certain.

                I got a machine shop to make me a ring to slide on the outside of the tube and tapped three grub screws into the outer edge of the ring so that it will fix where ever I slide it on the tube.

                By adjusting the ring to determine the depth of each oil seal  I slide the tube over the prop shaft and using a couple of large washers placed on the end of the tube I screw the propeller nut back on and gently insert the oil seals as the tube moves forward to the predetermined depth with no damage.

                For removing old oil seals I use an ice pick bent at 90 degrees and a pair of 90 degree pliers.

                Regards,

                Trevor

                Seafever of Cuan

                SM 425